What's new

Musgo Real Shaving Soap

It lathers very well for me and the scent is terrific. I'm using a newer puck purchased approximately 10 months ago. Really good stuff.

I just received a puck yesterday from maggards and without even blooming it, I got a great lather!!
Like this stuff is awesome!!
Great performance and post shave feel as well!!!
Not sure where the bad reviews are coming from, but I for one love this soap. :)

It was released around 2013. Below are a few threads regarding Musgo Classic shave soap. The soap didn't work well for me. But I do agree that their creams are great. The glycerin pre-shave soaps are also good.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Soap-is-a-fraudulent-dud-so-beware?highlight=

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310736-Musgo-Real-Shaving-Soap-Any-opinions-yet

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321565-MUSGO-REAL-shaving-soap-warning

Many years ago they made a shave stick, check it out below.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/263852-Musgo-Real-shave-stick?p=3658472#post3658472

I remember the thread you referenced from three years ago, when it was universally hated. The soap that people are praising in this thread can't be the same.

I also just received a puck of the soap a few days ago, and I am truly impressed. The lather develops easily on the face; it's creamy and slick with a great post shave feel. While the scent is reminiscent of the cream, the soap is far more in the lavender family. If you have ever tried Yardley's English lavender bath soap, then you will know what this smells like. I still use the cream because I just love the unique "grassy" type scent. Overall, for me this(presumably reformulated)soap is a real winner.

haven't used the shave soap yet, but it looks like i should give it a shot. their AS splash is one of my all time favorites, i think the classic scent cream yields a great lather (for a cream), and i use the pre-shave glyce lime soap religiously. great products from them IMO

the puck itself is green. It had to be reformulated because it really makes a great lather. I was skeptical at first from all the bad reviews. I got mine from Maggards so I know the ones they have are the new stock and new formula.

Is the reformulation true?Mine is old enough lathers quite good but it is not something i would buy again.The scent however is one f the best scents out there.

Below is the ingredient list from the 2013 version.

Anyone with the new version picture in the posts above please post the ingredient list for comparison.

$IMG_20120810_111302_1.jpg

I guess I'm an idiot because I use this soap to prep my beard and not as a shaving soap. I can't imagine getting enough lather out of it to actually shave with.

These bars are awfully big to be shaving pucks, aren't they?

Never mind. I just googled it and see that the shaving soap and shaving cream are different from the bar I use as a prep soap. (I highly recommend the glycerin prep soap, by the way - it has transformed my shaving experience.)

Last edited:
You're not an idiot. Lots of guys confuse the Glyce Lime Oil soap as a shave soap. It is very good for prep, though.

I guess I'm an idiot because I use this soap to prep my beard and not as a shaving soap. I can't imagine getting enough lather out of it to actually shave with.

These bars are awfully big to be shaving pucks, aren't they?

Never mind. I just googled it and see that the shaving soap and shaving cream are different from the bar I use as a prep soap. (I highly recommend the glycerin prep soap, by the way - it has transformed my shaving experience.)

I've always wanted to try that stuff!! But seemed steep in price.
Then again, with how much I've spent, that logic seems kinda dumb lol.

One thing I've noticed with the MR puck. It tends to lather quite a bit less if you use the MR PSO beforehand. For those of you having difficulty either building lather or having the lather dry out on your face, skip the PSO if you are using it. I find that while the oil confers some clear benefits, it also affects both the lather quality and brush performance.

Top Bottom