What's new

Proraso Face Lathering?

Does anyone have experience face lathering Proraso cream from a tube and if so are there any tricks to making it work. Thus far, I have only bowl lathered it.

I'm not an expert, but I've done it. It seems like adding water very slowly helps a bit, and I needed more product than I thought I would. My first couple tries were very runny, but the two factors above made it work for me.

Then I went back to the mug because I like the way warm lather feels.

Yep, use more product and more water than bowl lathering.

I used my proraso today, first time in probably a year. I forgot how darn good this stuff is! :) I got such a smooth comfortable shave! Squeezed two little blobs (peanut size each) onto my cheap "Tweezerman" badger brush that soaked while I showered, and worked up a creamy lather on my face. I'll never bowl lather Proraso again! I had enough for the 2 passes I did, and honestly would have had enough for 3 full passes if needed.

I'll use it again Friday. :)

After using soaps regularly for the last month and a half I went back to my tube of Bigelow/Proraso and kept getting lather soup. +1 to more product and less water

Does anyone have experience face lathering Proraso cream from a tube and if so are there any tricks to making it work. Thus far, I have only bowl lathered it.
Cream on your face
Water in the brush
Lather away

The fun is in finding out the optimal proportions of cream and water.

I face lather exclusively, and have used mostly Proraso products. So yes, it can be done. My method follows.
1) Soak brush while soaking whiskers (Sometimes I do this in shower, sometimes with just a hot washcloth).
2) Squeeze out water (I use a "half squeeze" typically).
3) Apply dollop of cream onto center of brush. (I've heard "almond size", but I find people around here have some HUGE almonds...).
4) Re-wet face
5) Brush to face/neck for lather.

Enjoy! What "flavor" are you using? I started with the Red, but I've heard people say it's a bit thirstier than the others. Since I started there, I don't notice a big difference personally.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can spread the shave cream on your face directly or squeeze some in the brush. Then you would face lather like a soap to build the lather directly on your face. As mentioned above, try a dryer brush and add water as you need it.

I do it all the time. I just spread the brush out a little with my thumb and squirt a little cream in the knot. Then I just face lather as normal. This method works great for me. This method works great with any cream in a tube.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I guess I do that same everyone else - soak brush, plop an almond size dollop in the middle of the brush, and swirl, swirl, swirl til a thick gorgeous lather develops. Sometimes it gets a little messy with water dripping and whatnot. That's why I don't wear a shirt and keep a towel handy.

I soak the brush, give it two good shakes, wet my face, put a half almond on the brush, and start lathering. After a bit, I put the other half almond on the brush and finish up. I usually just barely wet the brush a time or two.

Doing it by halves seems to give me a more even lather, and it's a bit easier to adjust the water ratio.

I guess I do that same everyone else - soak brush, plop an almond size dollop in the middle of the brush, and swirl, swirl, swirl til a thick gorgeous lather develops. Sometimes it gets a little messy with water dripping and whatnot. That's why I don't wear a shirt and keep a towel handy.

It's not that hard to have face lathering. At all! Especially with Proraso!
:laugh:

If in doubt, use more product and add few water at times.

I have face-lathered with C.O. Bigelow, which is supposed to be rebadged Proraso. Wash the face, leave wet, squeeze off the same 2cm or so of product, smear into the face as a film, and lather with a wet brush. Enough product remains on the brush for additional passes.
The only problem I have run into with face lathering is that some synthetic brushes, such as travel brushes, and some stiff horse-hair brushes can irritate the skin in a way that gets confused with razor burn. I've since taken up lathering in improvised vessels such as soap dishes when on the road.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, I do palm lather Proraso cream and this is my preferred technique with creams in general. The key to make Proraso really shine is to USE MORE PRODUCT. And I mean a LOT MORE, as a reference point if it may help I use a full walnut size with a 22-23mm knot brush, like my Chubby 1 or Duke 2 and 3. The lather becomes rich and thick and you do have enough for four passes...

I used it this evening for my SOTN coincidently. I basically use the same method as outlined by MyBeard below. (With a nice moderately stiff boar brush for this one.) Very pleased with the results .. smoothest shave in days.

I face lather exclusively, and have used mostly Proraso products. So yes, it can be done. My method follows.
1) Soak brush while soaking whiskers (Sometimes I do this in shower, sometimes with just a hot washcloth).
2) Squeeze out water (I use a "half squeeze" typically).
3) Apply dollop of cream onto center of brush. (I've heard "almond size", but I find people around here have some HUGE almonds...).
4) Re-wet face
5) Brush to face/neck for lather.

Enjoy! What "flavor" are you using? I started with the Red, but I've heard people say it's a bit thirstier than the others. Since I started there, I don't notice a big difference personally.

I have face-lathered with C.O. Bigelow, which is supposed to be rebadged Proraso. Wash the face, leave wet, squeeze off the same 2cm or so of product, smear into the face as a film, and lather with a wet brush. Enough product remains on the brush for additional passes.

+1
This is what I did for my first face lather with C.O. Bigelow this morning. I was quite impressed with the lather and even with a small 20mm knot Vie Long brush, I had enough lather for three passes, should I have needed it.

I wet my face, take some cream and apply thinly apply it over my face, then take a damp brush and lather away adding water if necessary.

Sir, I do palm lather Proraso cream and this is my preferred technique with creams in general. The key to make Proraso really shine is to USE MORE PRODUCT. And I mean a LOT MORE, as a reference point if it may help I use a full walnut size with a 22-23mm knot brush, like my Chubby 1 or Duke 2 and 3. The lather becomes rich and thick and you do have enough for four passes...

100% agree. Don't be shy with product, especially if you are using a denser brush.

Same here. Almond size amount into a wet (but not dripping) brush and then direct to face. Run the tips under the faucet quickly if I feel I need more water. Its the only way for me - I find I get a much thicker lather and better prep from working it into my face and stubble.

I use about a quarter sized dollop of cream when I face lather. Rub it around like I'm washing my face with it, wet the brush and go at 'er. I'd don't shake a lot of water out to start with, so it can get a little messy, but it works very well.

Top Bottom