What's new

Ever ready brush

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
$20150809_151435.jpg
I think it's shaping up nicely. I used some fine steel wool around that lip. I've been using nu-finish scratch doctor for the polishing portion. I think that's as far as it will go with that product. I've noticed the more I handle it, the more the bristles are coming out. IT may need a reknot. I had a question for Billygoatee: Do you sand the whole green base with these levels of sand paper and do you think this brush could still benefit from that? Also, to anyone: Could a pruduct like Mothers or Nov us no.2 help this brush pop even more? One last thing: What kind of know do you suggest for this? I'm leaning toward a blonde boar hair in order to keep with its original state.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
Use whatever knot you would like on your face. There is nothing wrong with making the choice based on your preferences. Boar if you want it, or badger if that is what you would like to use. That handle would look great with any of those. If it were mine it would likely be getting a Silvertip.

KeenDogg

Well life's been getting in the way of my brush Resto. I bought some gold acrylic enamel to use for the lettering. I am not sure of the best method to paint it. I think I could brush it on then mineral spirits on a piece of card board to wipe the remaining paint off after it dries. I'm not sure if the lettering is deep enough on some places to hold paint. Any suggestions?

KeenDogg

I have made a little progress on my brush. Here's where I'm at. A little gold enamel, some mineral spirits, cardstock, and a whole lot of rubbing!$uploadfromtaptalk1445115746795.jpg

KeenDogg

proxy.php

Ok. I'm back at it again. I am finding that my letter impressions are not very deep and will not hold paint. Is there anything I can do to deepen them or should I just find a tiny brush and paint them?
Thanks,
Adam

KeenDogg

Well guys, I haven't made it far on my brush. I have been ultra busy with life. However, my most gracious friend, [MENTION=102775]mgbbrown[/MENTION], has offered his services to finish it for me! I am humbled by this. I know he will put his level of expertise to work on this thing. I just want to give him another big thanks and let everyone know I've passed the ball so to speak.

Adam

Adam; Thank you for the compliment! I need to stay busy over the Winter, aside from my long hours at the hospital. Call it a sabbatical or recreation, but the opportunity is welcomed here I assure you. From the photographs-it appears that your brush may have a boar bristle knot- I will do some more research, and perhaps the base hallmarks on the handle will divulge its composition. From an initial responder to this thread- the side stampings and rings were white originally, so this is easily duplicated. You have already done an outstanding job on cleaning the interior of the handle, so the main objective can be setting a knot inside it to replicate the original loft height. For me- this is an important aspect of the restoration- making the new knot chosen to not appear out of place or out of scale in relationship to the handle. I will do my best! God Bless and Happy New Year Friend! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

$IMG_20160101_105213_hdr.jpg
This has been very informative. I received the exact same brush for Christmas and had the same questions. I've never cleaned up one before. I can't wait to get started.

Top Bottom