What's new

5 o'clock shadow at noon

Ok, been wet shaving now for about 2 years. Starting to get a little disgruntled cause I keep getting that shadow at around noon. When Im finished shaving it seems BBS, but by noon, the stubble is there. just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I do 3 passes WTG,XTG and ATG. I use a merkur progress with a Gillette blue silver which is the only blade that I use. I feel like the technique is good. Maybe the blade not sure. Any help would be great. Must keep I clean unshaven appearance at work so trying to figure it out. Love wet shaving just don't want t get fed up with it...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What time do you shave?

Did you have this growth when you used your previous alternate method? It sounds like you're doing everything right.

Rising expectations? Can anyone other than you see this stubble or does it just start to feel rough to you?

While a decent cart can deliver a shave about as long-lasting for me as a mild DE razor, a highly aggressive razor will generally deliver about 50% more "clean shaven" time than a cart.
Maybe you need a new razor?:wink2:

Ok, been wet shaving now for about 2 years.

Do you think that your beard is changing?

I was wet shaving for 1.5 years with very mild razors, my favs being the Blue Tip, EJ 89 and various SS.

All of a sudden, I started getting irritation due to multiple passes. I had read Lots of posts/threads about "aggressive" razors, and had many doubts. Well, I started using a few, and, it was like magic (again :thumbup:).

I think that I am compulsive as most :)laugh:), here, and nothing was changing with my routine, prep, tools, etc......It was my beard that was changing........I LOVED my mild shavers, but, I couldn't use them, the same way, anymore.

Just my story. Hope you get it figured out.......Btw, the more "aggressive" razors tend to leave me BBS longer....Just saying.

If you don't have this I wouldn't worry.

$iur.jpg

Try an OLD with a Wilkinson Sword blade, gives me the best shave I've ever had, and I usually shave every other day.

I would try a Mühle R41.
It is hard to find a safety razor that gives you a closer, yet comfortable shave.

B.

Shave with a straight razor

Don't think so.

Using both types long enough, I consider it a myth that a straight razor will provide closer shaves than a safety razor, in particular when one considers the long learning curve.

For the first 100 or so straight shaves the result may be the opposite.

B.

I cannot recommend wet shaving twice daily for extended periods of time because it causes too much irritation. Perhaps DE in the morning and electric in the afternoon would be sufficient?

I would try a Mühle R41.
It is hard to find a safety razor that gives you a closer, yet comfortable shave.

+1. Luckily I do not need to be clean shaved the whole day. Today I shaved to BBS with a milder razor and already now at 10:46 I am having stubble. When shaving with R41 I extend the BBS period with many hours.

Good points. What were results of your earlier shaves? Plus, as Alan Jackson says:

What time do you shave?

Did you have this growth when you used your previous alternate method? It sounds like you're doing everything right.

Last edited by a moderator:
A longer hydration period during prep tends to help my hairs extend more.
Also stretching the skin will cause the hairs to, "stand up and be counted" with your blade.

It could just be the way your hair grows. I've been shaving for close to 15 years now and have used various electric razors, cartridges, and for the past 4 months, a DE razor. Over the past few years I've noticed that even after a "BBS" shave, I can still see a "shadow." My facial hair grows dark, fast, and thick. My skin is rather fair. This combination is unavoidable and shows a "shadow" even immediately after I shave. I'm learning to settle with a little less than BBS because my neck is easily irritated. There's nothing I can do against genetics.

Perhaps you're in the same boat?

In any case, good luck!!

I've tried different safety razors as well as straights. I'm not good enough with a straight to get a really close shave but the shaves are very comfortable and enjoyable.

As far as the safety razors go, how long my shave lasts depends on which razor I choose. For the longest lasting shaves I've ever experienced I choose the ATT H1 or H2. For a slightly more comfortable shave that seems to last a couple hours less the ATT R1 or R2. Both seem to keep me stubble free for most of the day. The evening isn't as smooth as the morning bus I don't feel like I need a shave when I walk in the door at night.

The ATT M1 and M2 are super comfortable but the shaves don't seem to last much longer that the Merkur 39c or Gillette Fat Boy razors I sometimes use. Better than a straight for a clean shave but not near as close as the other more aggressive razors.

The EJ DE89 didn't give me a long lasting shave at all and it took forever and a day of touch ups to get me a decent shave in the morning and it didn't last very long. By noon the stubble was back and by 5 o'clock I had a 5 o'clock shadow that had me wanting a second shave.

I'd think you need a more aggressive razor for a closer, longer lasting shave. Good Luck.

I was always told that the more often you shave the faster it grows.

When i used plastic razors i found shaving a chore and shaved less frequently. Now i enjoy it and it's become something of a ritual which i look forward to. I often think my hair is growing faster than it used to.

Also, i became a coconut junkie around the same time i took up DE shaving and drink a spoonful of oil every day and a eat/drink a fresh nut every day as well (i live in Thailand so it's pretty easy to do). Since coconut is said to be good for the hair it could play a part too?

I can have a BBS shave and you can still see my shadow...right after I'm done shaving. Some of us just have that type of facial hair. Most of my recommendations have already been mentioned. Try a really aggressive razor/blade combo (straight or R41 with Feather) stretch the skin, and cold water shave.

I was always told that the more often you shave the faster it grows.
I just had to correct this. You may have been told this over and over again, but it simply isn't true.

It's an illusion.

Say your stubble grows at a rate of 2 mm per day. From day 2 to day 3 it doubles in length, but from day 5 to day 6 it only increases in length by 20%. Thus, it seems to grow faster when it's shorter, and shaving makes it shorter. The growth rate of stubble is not affected in any way by shaving.

Top Bottom