What's new

Flat top brushes

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love them. Have two: a D01 two-band and a D01 three band - for me the two-band is the way to go.
Do not go too big, I always 18-22 mm max, with 20 mm being the sweet spot. Loft about double the knot size.

I love them. Have two: a D01 two-band and a D01 three band - for me the two-band is the way to go.
Do not go too big, I always 18-22 mm max, with 20 mm being the sweet spot. Loft about double the knot size.

I've read some posts suggesting that the current D01 2-Band is not quite as soft as it was a year or so ago. Has that been your experience?

Have one, a Shavemac DO1, and while it's a good brush, I won't get another flattop. It just doesn't seem to be as efficient in application, and the "feel" is off.

FWIW, I like bulbs the best.

Have one, a Shavemac DO1, and while it's a good brush, I won't get another flattop. It just doesn't seem to be as efficient in application, and the "feel" is off.

FWIW, I like bulbs the best.

+1

As a face latherer, I prefer fan shaped over bulb shaped knots. Not only does the increased contact area promote more efficient lathering, it also lets me enjoy more of the feel of the brush on my face...

So I figured, if I like a fan that much, I'll like a flat-top even more. Wrong -- like NC Jack, I didn't find it as efficient. It didn't feel quite as luxurious (as my fan shaped knots) either. I suspect it's because the bristles couldn't 'splay' quite as easily as the fan. For me, fan shape still reigns as the king.

Just my personal preference though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom