What's new

Fuji X-T1?

I got a little bonus from working my butt off this summer and thinking of blowing it on a new Fuji X-T1 to replace my old Nikon D40 that's getting long in the tooth.

Love all the manual controls. I learned on a Pentax K1000 and there's a bit of nostalgia working with the Fuji.

The reviews of it are pretty glowing but wanted to see if anyone has anything negative to say about it before I pull the trigger.

Legion

Staff member
Do it. Best bang for your buck in cameras right now, imo.

only negative is Fuji don't really give a damn about video, and it shows. But as a still camera, excellent.

The XE2 doesn't do it for me. I like the dials on the XT1. They make it seem like a camera to me. I was also considering an X100T and that would probably do it for me 70% of the time. But the interchangeable lenses seem like nice to haves.

I am a happy X-T1 owner. My Fuji 35 1.4 was a bit slow when focusing but the new firmware update 4.0 fixed that.

$xt1.jpg

I previously owned an X-E2 but sold it to buy the X-T1.

$xe2.jpg

Last edited:
Be sure to handle one before buying. I recently got an X100T to use as a carry/travel camera and am having some difficulty getting used to it. The small size has it's own issues (grip, heel of hand hitting some of the myriad buttons) and it's not quite as simple as it would seem. The menus are quite complicated, there is virtually no documentation (need to visit various forums) and you have to be careful not to hit a button by accident. That said, the files are great and I really love being able to see in B&W through the viewfinder. I know these are two very different cameras, but am guessing that the "genetics"are similar.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try to hit the local camera store and check out both the X100T and X-T1. The X100T is tempting since I take a lot of family photos and for traveling light it sounds like a good choice that could work. I was apprehensive about it exactly because of the menu issue and that's one of the things pushing me toward the X-T1. Sounds like it has more of the menu items on dials, which is very appealing to me. I'll see how they feel later this week when I get a chance.

I have a Fuji X-E1 and a X-Pro1. I know you are not asking about those, so I won't go into details.
But like all cameras, they have their pros and cons. What I love are the small size, the excellent Fuji prime lenses, and the quality of the "out of the camera" JPEGs.

Top Bottom