What's new

Anyone Into Kettlebells and Other "Unconventional" Fitness Methods?

Who uses kettlebells or any other "unconventional" method(s) in their normal fitness routine? What's your favorite piece of equipment, workout, etc? Favorite benefits of using these methods? What got you into them?

I just started using kettlebells and a steel mace this summer. Man, this stuff can be brutal and I love it. Best of all, I'm getting great workouts in a short period of time (which I don't have a lot of normally, with school and work) and I'm getting both strength and conditioning training in at the same time. I feel more flexible, mobile, and sturdy. Plus, these things have been easy on some old injuries I have from my active duty days. That's a huge perk for me because I normally have issues when I try to stick to a normal fitness plan. I'm not saying I haven't had some extra aches and pains outside of muscle soreness, it's just not bad enough that I have to stop for awhile. Usually a day or two of extra rest and I'm good to go again. Of course The Wife likes the results, too.

I stick with body weight, kettlebells, and a steel mace for my normal routine:
Day 1 - upper body; mace, kettlebell, and body weight
Day 2 - pull ups, push ups, and core work
Day 3 - legs; mace and kettlebell
Day 4 - pull ups, push ups, and core work
Day 5 - rest
Day 6 - full body, all out workout; mace, kettlebell, and body weight. My favorite on this day is the "Viking Power Workout" from Onnit Academy. I'm always hurting afterwards.
Day 7 - rest; this is a Sunday if I stick to my normal schedule and I will do a lot of stretching to recover from day 6, and sometimes I'll let The Wife talk me into doing yoga (get a really good stretch in).

I got most of my workouts and gear from Onnit, both their website and their Youtube channel. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway - just a fan of the company and the way they do things. They're worth checking out, IMO. They have a ton of health and fitness info out there that is free to anyone.

Thanks for posting this! I'm looking for something different to add into my routine - Right now I'm doing almost exclusively cardio (Concept 2 Rower) and want to add in resistance training.

Last edited:
I started kettlebell training a few years after having shoulder surgery and it's really helped with strength and range on movement. I've been doing it off and on since. Like mentioned above you get a great workout in a relatively short time.

I switched to kettlebell/bodyweight complexes about 8 weeks ago, about 6 weeks prior to my PT test. I alternate kettlebell days with sprint days. It's been great for conditioning, my endurance has definitely improved. I'm going to start adding some barbell lifts back into my routine as well.

Thanks for posting this! I'm looking for something different to add into my routine - Right now I'm doing almost exclusively cardio (Concept 2 Rower) and want to add in resistance training.

See if it's for you. I think this stuff is great. Can be done from home with minimal space, time, and gear. Right now I have a steel mace, a doorframe pull up bar, and a kettle bell (second, heavier bell on order) and I get great workouts.

If you decide to go for kettle bells, it's recommended that you find a certified trainer to start with. StrongFirst is the company founded by the guy who is credited with bringing the kettle bell to the U.S. from Russia and their website has a trainer registry. I would go with them first since he is basically the expert. They also do user courses that you can attend. He also has some books and videos. I didn't have the luxury of a trainer so I started with a 20 pound bell and just focused on learning the technique so I wouldn't hurt myself. Onnit has a ton of helpful videos (better than nothing) and their trainers are certified.

I started kettlebell training a few years after having shoulder surgery and it's really helped with strength and range on movement. I've been doing it off and on since. Like mentioned above you get a great workout in a relatively short time.

Do you stick with a lighter kettle bell then, to maintain shoulder stability and flexibility?

I switched to kettlebell/bodyweight complexes about 8 weeks ago, about 6 weeks prior to my PT test. I alternate kettlebell days with sprint days. It's been great for conditioning, my endurance has definitely improved. I'm going to start adding some barbell lifts back into my routine as well.

What sort of workouts do you do?

I usually do AMRAP in 20 mins:

10x two handed swings
10x pushups
5x clean and press from the floor, left arm
10x unassisted sit-ups
5x clean and press from the floor, right arm
10x oblique crunches, left side
5x power snatches, left arm
10x oblique crunches, right side
5x power snatches, right arm
10x diamond pushups

I use a 35lbs kettlebell.

Do you stick with a lighter kettle bell then, to maintain shoulder stability and flexibility?

I did start light to start off with, didn't start any weight training until about 8months after surgery. It was all stretching and resistance bands until then. Now it varies from 16kg to 32kg depending on the workout.

I usually do AMRAP in 20 mins:

10x two handed swings
10x pushups
5x clean and press from the floor, left arm
10x unassisted sit-ups
5x clean and press from the floor, right arm
10x oblique crunches, left side
5x power snatches, left arm
10x oblique crunches, right side
5x power snatches, right arm
10x diamond pushups

I use a 35lbs kettlebell.

That's a timed circuit right? Do you do this as many times as you can in your slotted time? Sounds like a great workout

I did start light to start off with, didn't start any weight training until about 8months after surgery. It was all stretching and resistance bands until then. Now it varies from 16kg to 32kg depending on the workout.

Pardon me if I'm being too forward, but is there anything you avoid doing with a kettle bell to preserve your shoulder? Anything you do more of? I have a bad shoulder and would appreciate any tips.

That's a timed circuit right? Do you do this as many times as you can in your slotted time? Sounds like a great workout

Yup, AMRAP = as many rounds as possible. I can usually get 4 1/2 rounds. It is a great workout, and it doesn't take much time. It's a great mix of cardio and resistance training.

Sometimes I'll cut out the bodyweight exercises and use the kettlebell to do a tabata workout.

I dropped my gym membership a year and a half ago, and only do judo and KB workouts since. I popped a rib in judo 2 months ago, so I've been doing 5 days of KB a week. I keep it simple, 3 days of swings, and 2 days of clean and press, with pistols thrown in 2-3 times. I only have a 28kg bell. This week:

Sun - 25 swings EMOM - 300 total
Mon - C&P ladder, 1-10 on each side, pistols 5 x 6 each leg
Tues - Swings 20 EMOM - 360 total
Weds - Tabata presses, 6 minutes (just because), alternating sides, started with 11, ended at 7; 5 x 7 pistols

I can't wait to get back to judo.

AMRAP and Tabata both sound great, will give these a go using a kettlebell once I get more comfortable with them.

My heavier kettlebell from Onnit should be here tomorrow. I'll be honest, I'm a bit excited to give it a swing on Saturday.

Pardon me if I'm being too forward, but is there anything you avoid doing with a kettle bell to preserve your shoulder? Anything you do more of? I have a bad shoulder and would appreciate any tips.

There is nothing that I avoid with kettlebells but this is years after rehab, so strength and flexibility is not an issue like it was to begin with.
If you are starting out and already have an existing bad shoulder I would seek advise from a physio or someone similar prior to beginning any workout plan. Last thing you want to do is cause more trouble to your shoulder or inflame another area as a result of poor form/technique due to limitations in shoulder.

There is nothing that I avoid with kettlebells but this is years after rehab, so strength and flexibility is not an issue like it was to begin with.
If you are starting out and already have an existing bad shoulder I would seek advise from a physio or someone similar prior to beginning any workout plan. Last thing you want to do is cause more trouble to your shoulder or inflame another area as a result of poor form/technique due to limitations in shoulder.

Flexibility and strength aren't a problem here either, it's just something that bothers me from time to time. I did physical therapy for awhile and have full range of motion. I was just more curious about if there was anything to watch out for. Like if certain movements caused problems that would be something to be mindful of and not push it too far.

I'd be careful starting kettlebell snatches. You can overextend your elbow if you're not careful. Start with a lower weight until you get the form right. Onnit is a great website for info on all the motions.

Edit: ha, I just read through your OP again, you already know all about Onnit!

I have been looking into getting an old tire and working out with a sledge hammer. In the future I'd like to have a few kettlebells, a battle rope, tire/hammer, and maybe a box jump at my house. I'll keep lifting barbells at the base gym though, but having those items at home for conditioning would be convenient.

Last edited:
Hmm, tonight's at-work workout (yes, I drive around with my KB strapped into my kids car seat all the time): I have a tabata app on my tablet, so I set it for 20 intervals. Why? Because 20 is better than 19. I did swings, and started with 14's, ended up with 12's, total 227 or something. I do way more all the time; I even do 25 EMOM for 300 in 10 minutes. But this was hard; even though its essentially 25/minute, with 20sec rest, the difference between 12-14 reps and 10sec rest and 25 reps and 20sec rest is quite large, and pretty interesting.

No idea which is better. Who cares? Smash heavy stuff lots of times then go do fun stuff.

I'd be careful starting kettlebell snatches. You can overextend your elbow if you're not careful. Start with a lower weight until you get the form right. Onnit is a great website for info on all the motions.

Edit: ha, I just read through your OP again, you already know all about Onnit!

I have been looking into getting an old tire and working out with a sledge hammer. In the future I'd like to have a few kettlebells, a battle rope, tire/hammer, and maybe a box jump at my house. I'll keep lifting barbells at the base gym though, but having those items at home for conditioning would be convenient.

I did start with a 20 lb kettlebell to learn and mess around with, but I'll keep my elbows in mind while a transition onto heavier kettlebells. Thanks.

That would be a good set up have access to. Have you considered a steel mace/mace bell instead of the sledge? You can smack a tire with it but do so much more as well. Then again, I guess you could use the sledge like a mace.

Hmm, tonight's at-work workout (yes, I drive around with my KB strapped into my kids car seat all the time): I have a tabata app on my tablet, so I set it for 20 intervals. Why? Because 20 is better than 19. I did swings, and started with 14's, ended up with 12's, total 227 or something. I do way more all the time; I even do 25 EMOM for 300 in 10 minutes. But this was hard; even though its essentially 25/minute, with 20sec rest, the difference between 12-14 reps and 10sec rest and 25 reps and 20sec rest is quite large, and pretty interesting.

No idea which is better. Who cares? Smash heavy stuff lots of times then go do fun stuff.

That sounds pretty intense. Do you do Tabata or EMOM primarily, or do you have other planned workouts that you do?

Top Bottom