What's new

Best Super badger brush?

Who makes the best Super badger brush?
I want to try one but I don't know a lot about them. I have all the other types of badgers but not the super.

Thanks

That's too broad a question to answer easily, but for a fantastic selection of top-of-the-line Silvertip brushes, check out Savile Row. The brand was developed for the proprietor of a shop called QED. The style is classic, he pays tremendous attention to detail and quality, and they're a great value for the price.

Good luck, DGI

A super badger is different than a silver tip I know that but I was just wondering what brand makes the best.

BTW I own a Savile Row 3324

Don't worry about the labels on the different brushes. There is no standard across brands as far as labelling the different qualities of badger hair so that "Super" from one brand may be comparable with "Best" from another maker.

What characteristics are you looking for in a brush?

I like my Vulfix 375s (Shown next to my Omega 10065 for size comparison). Does not have much backbone to speak of, but is VERY soft and well made. Oh yeah, its on the lower end of the price spectrum for a super badger. I think I paid around $70 a couple years back.
$Vulfix.jpg

Don't worry about the labels on the different brushes. There is no standard across brands as far as labelling the different qualities of badger hair so that "Super" from one brand may be comparable with "Best" from another maker.

+1. Precisely. Since there is no standardization of these terms across manufacturers, this is not a good question. Agree with OP, the better question is, "What do you want from the brush?"

Who makes the best Super badger brush?
Best is always highly subjective regardless of topic. You need to clarify what you're looking for from a brush if you want recommendations. Check in the stickies and read the guide on getting brush buying advice. Then provide as much information as possible.

I ran across a good description of grades (including super badger and silvertip) in the the Truefitt & Hill vendor section of B&B when evaluating their Wellington. The Wellington comes standard as super badger but can be ordered in silver tip and I was trying to decide if the extra money was worth it. In the end I opted for super badger since I would then own a brush in each grade: Pure (AoS trial brush); Best (Simpson Case); Super Badger (T&H Wellington); and Silver Tip (Savile Row 3824).

I've only used it two days and have not yet had a chance to use the Savile Row so I don't have a true comparison. I can say it is definitely soft with minimal scritchiness (and I suspect it will get softer with some additional use.) I'm liking what I've experienced so far. However, for a good review of the brush from someone with more experience see the Truefitt & Hill Wellington post I made in this forum about July 17.

Good luck - let us know what you get and how you like it!

Last edited:
There is a lot of confusion as to these terms. I don't think (and please correct me) that a given maker uses both the terms Super and Silvertip. I know I have seen something called super Silvertip so where.

I have a Simpson and a Rooney in super. I don't believe either line has Silvertip.

There is a lot of confusion as to these terms. I don't think (and please correct me) that a given maker uses both the terms Super and Silvertip. I know I have seen something called super Silvertip so where.

I have a Simpson and a Rooney in super. I don't believe either line has Silvertip.

Truefitt & Hill offers silver tip if you ask for it. It isn't part of their standard offering. I enquired about it directly via their website when I was considering the Wellington and was told I could specify silvertip for an extra fee. I didn't ask about the cost so I don't know how much more they would charge.

I'll try to look into some "super" badger brushes sometime. I was just curious because I have every type except super and wanted to get one.

Super can be whatever a particular brush maker wants it to be. You should not be bashful about asking.

Most typically, Super is Super Silvertip. Super Silvertip is Silvertip with treated tips to make them softer and whiter. The typical treatment is bleaching. When new they sometimes exhibit an odor that is reminiscent of the peroxide material that is used to make brunettes into blondes. That's definitely a different odor from the usual badger funk.

TGN lists a Super that appears to be in this catagory.

Super can be whatever a particular brush maker wants it to be. You should not be bashful about asking.

Most typically, Super is Super Silvertip. Super Silvertip is Silvertip with treated tips to make them softer and whiter. The typical treatment is bleaching. When new they sometimes exhibit an odor that is reminiscent of the peroxide material that is used to make brunettes into blondes. That's definitely a different odor from the usual badger funk.

TGN lists a Super that appears to be in this catagory.

I also think buyers would be well advised to contact the sellers directly on this issue. I did this when purchasing the Wellington. T&H were explicit about describing what it was and what it was not - i.e. it was not bleached badger hairs. A seller should be willing to address this directly. If they are not willing, then caveat emptor.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My favorite Super brush is the Thiers Issard horn handled brush.

$01203538.jpg$01203540.jpg

In all honesty it could just as easily be classified as Silvertip as could the Simpsons' Super labeled shaving brushes. Considering that there are no regulations, nor consistency to what a Super Badger knot consists of it is really just a term that generally means you are getting a "superior" product, but not necessarily the highest grade depending on the manufacturer.

I'll try to look into some "super" badger brushes sometime. I was just curious because I have every type except super and wanted to get one.

Depending on the degree of SBAD taking root you might want to make "sometime" sooner rather than later if the T&H appeals to you. I see in their vendor section on B&B that they are providing a 15% off code good until the end of this month. Loyal15 is the code and it provides free shipping for orders over $80.

+1. The terms and grading vary tremendously from one manufacturer to another.

The other thing is that higher price often relates to scarcity of the particular hair, not to performance IMO. Many of the gurus here at B&B can elaborate in great detail.

The main thing is to try enough to get an idea of what you like then zero in on that. Have fun!

Top Bottom