What's new

Source for Ted Pella blades

Ted Pella is a seller of GEM blades. He is not a manufacturer. He gets high marks here from those who have bought from him.

I have bought these blades from Ted Pella and ems. Both have the a nice choice of the same product and provide good service. EMS is also a good source for Personna Lab blades.

http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html if you want a lot of them

or walgreens if you want a few.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pe...-single-edge-razor-blades/ID=prod2041-product

Here's the problem - the blades in two links are not the same. The ones sold by Connaught are teflon coated the ones at Walgreens are not. Look at the EMS site referenced by ackvil - you'll see both coated and uncoated versions (in carbon and stainless). But there are basically three options:
- Carbon steel uncoated
- Stainless steel uncoated
- Stainless steel coated

Very confusing as the same blades are sold under different names. Whether there is much of a difference between them is subject to much dispute.

You want the PTFE coated stainless ones for sure.
From EMS:
Stainless Steel, Extra Keen, measures same as #71960. Packed 100 blades in a drawer box.
71970Single Edge, GEM "PTFE" Coatedeach23.00
71971Single Edge, GEM "PTFE" Coated10/lot202.00

Might as well load up on them to save on shipping - they don't go bad! :)

I have purchased several hundred of the PTFE coated stainless steel blades from Ted Pella. They are the correct blades, pricing is good, and service is first rate.

Ted Pella has sold so many of these to wet shavers that they are sometimes referred to as "Ted Pellas," even though they are simply Personna/Gem blades in bulk packaging.

I also am reasonably certain that the stainless steel blades sold by Walgreens in the 10 packs are coated blades even though it is not specifically stated. West Coast Shaving describes these blades thus: "GEM by Personna single edge blades are made from high quality coated stainless steel."

In addition, I recall a thread in which Personna was contacted and verified that the blades are indeed coated, although I can't seem to find it at the moment.

--Bob

Thanks everyone - I went with the EMS site as the Ted Pella site only offered 200 as the smallest quantity and getting a 100 from EMS was not that much of a premium. In about two years I'll probably regret that! :)

Thanks everyone - I went with the EMS site as the Ted Pella site only offered 200 as the smallest quantity and getting a 100 from EMS was not that much of a premium. In about two years I'll probably regret that! :)

It's nice to have options. Hope you enjoy the blades.

I got mine from razorbladesandmore.com a bag of 50 for $15 with quick shipping.

Their 100 pc is only $30 which I'll probably get once I run out of my 50. That will still be awhile since I have 38 left. lol

I got mine from razorbladesandmore.com a bag of 50 for $15 with quick shipping.

Their 100 pc is only $30 which I'll probably get once I run out of my 50. That will still be awhile since I have 38 left. lol

How is 100 for $30 form razorbladesandmore.com better than 200 for $34 from Ted Pella?

I didn't say it was better just that's where I got my blades at plus I didn't know the price on Ted Pella.

He also mention he didn't want a lot to start out with so I figured 50 or 100 would be a good start. I think $30 is still a good price for a 100 blades.

You are correct. Blades are made by GEM or American Safety Razor. Ted Pella does not make blades. The company is a distributor of medical and laboratory gear, not a manufacturer.

I'd read about these blades and this seems like the source? I would assume any and all blades featured on this site are of the shaving variety or am I wrong about this?

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/blades.htm#carbon-steel

You are wrong about this. Any blade with a two-facet edge is not suitable for shaving, and I can tell you from personal experience that the PAL blued steel blades don't work very well, despite their having a three-facet edge.

The only SE blades that I know for certain will work well for shaving are the ptfe coated stainless steel (#121-3) and the ptfe coated stainless steel injector blades (#121-4).

Others my work, but proceed at your own risk. :blink:

--Bob

Top Bottom