What's new

Why a Slant

Hey everyone.
I have been wet-shaving for 10 years and have never used a slant. About 3 years ago, I sold off all my DE's including a 2011 R41 and just got into SE's,mainly injectors and my beloved ocmm. Now, I want to get back into DE's and am looking into the 7 piece ATT thinking I will get the R2,H2, and S2 heads. I love OC's but have never used a slant. What is the purpose of a slant and is the shave worth it or should I get the 5 piece set instead. I guess my question is what does the slant bring to the table that a "conventional" head doesn't. Thanks for your help.

Glad it helped!

It was my first intro to slant razors, and found it informative and very helpful - Except for the part that made me want a Razorock Stealth Slant, and the ensuing journey and expenditure :blink:

Glad it helped!

It was my first intro to slant razors, and found it informative and very helpful - Except for the part that made me want a Razorock Stealth Slant, and the ensuing journey and expenditure :blink:
Yea I cured my rad a couple of years ago by buying all SE's,especially injectors,but I just was glancing around and saw the ATT 7 piece,and now I have DE rad again..Wallets gonna be hurting.:lol::001_smile

I would guess the post linked to a site that duplicates B&B content. That is against the TOU.

As for the "why a slant" question, I guess my answer (in the form of a question) is why NOT a slant?

I picked up a Merkur slant out of curiosity a few years ago. It is moderately aggressive; I would put it between the 34C and a Fatip, though that's pretty subjective. It doesn't see as much action as my Futur, R41, or Progress, but it definitely brings something new to the table. It is an effective shaver.

I also have a Mulcuto slant, which is oddly pretty mild.

I had acquired a Merkur Slant many months ago, when I was still pretty much of a newbie. I didn't find it pleasant or effective, but I didn't have much technique then. Recent discussions here had inspired me to go back and try again today. WTG was fine. ATG & XTG were very rough feeling. I was using a 7 o'clock yellow, which I typically find very smooth. Also, I felt considerable post-shave irritation which rarely, if ever, happens to me.

Oddly, I recently acquired a Razorock Stealth slant which I found too mild. As many have observed wisely here about many things, YMMV.

I tried the Merkur slant after many years of DE shaving. I was convinced it was a gimmick but finally bought one. I loved the close, comfortable shave it gave me. I then added a vintage Hoffritz slant, a RR prototype slant, and the the ATT in S1 form followed by a S2 plate. For me, the slants give the smoothest shaves of any DEs.

I just got an Ikon #102 after about 8 months of DE shaving. I can definitely attest to the advantages of the slant! Just a few shaves in but they have been consistently close and more importantly, noticeably more comfortable. The neck irritation which I had previously gotten from trying for BBS on the neck has been reduced considerably. Still need more time on the razor, but to use the overdone phrase, this razor could be a game-changer for me.

I feel the people who are going to find a greater benefit to a slant are those with a tough beard and sensitive skin as the reduced cutting resistance from the slant minimizes irritation. If you have a lighter beard the advantage may not be as apparent.

Google "slant shaving razor history". The top three results (as of this post) provide some interesting history and perspective. Particularly the third hit.

As for me, I do think slants provide a different shaving experience from other DE blades and are the best combo of an efficient, smooth shave. At least in regards to the Merkur Slant or the Ikon Slant, which is my favorite razor period, slants provide these benefits with just a tad more aggression than average. (I find them about as aggressive than my Slim on 5 or 6, although more effective).

I have a 39C and I like it a lot. From what I got from the slant design is it's supposed to cut almost guillotine like and be more aggressive. All depends on what blade you're using with the slant is what'll make the difference IMO. Can say I've had more aggressive shaves with my MR8 closed comb than I did with the 39C due to the blade that was utilized. All so subjective. Definitely can't argue with the folks praising ATT setups. Have the H1 head closed comb and it's the most aggressive thing I've ever seen .91 gap! That'd obliterate just about anything, slants included. I think it just depends on how folks match up blades to their razors-IMO, I think that's the key.

I believe it is.

Hey, home come you are not a Rays fan?

Grew up in NY but I played on the Indians in little league and always liked them since 1966.Still waiting for my first world championship and I'm not getting any younger.--LOL

there is a noticeably difference in comfort with the 34c compared to all of my other de razors. it quickly became my go-to. astra sp or feather blades only.

Top Bottom