What's new

Favourite and most unusual smelling shave soap

Favorite: MdC Fougere--Nothing else is even close, though I'm quite fond of my Stirling Nag Champa.
Most unusual: Mystic Waters Brown Windsor--I received it as a PIF while it works great, the smell is a bit....earthy.

I have lots of favorites. What comes to mind when you say unusual is Stirling Iced Pineapple. Smells wonderful and gives a nice menthol cooling to your face.

I got my dad Essence of Scotland-Scottish Heather. Smells nice, some heather-some earthy (after smelling patchouli oil I can definitely detect patchouli scent too). He likes it but I have never shaved with it. I also got him the Essence of Scotland-Highland Bothy. Has a definite peat bog scent (I smell some smoke/dirt and maybe whisky), he says it smells just like the bog fires in Scotland. Funny, when I bought these for him, I was trying to give him kind of a scent memory of Scotland to help him with the loss of my mom (figured give him something to remind him of good times each morning) and I thought $20 a tub was killer, I have since gone on to spend a small fortune $12-$18 at a pop.

I bought but can't bring myself to use a puck of gunpowder scented soap. The scent from the puck has mellowed some in the months since purchase but it was so strong I was afraid to try it. I bought 2 pucks (mail order) so I quickly gave one to one of my clients as a "manly" birthday present.

My favorite scent/soap so far has been the WSP Blackbeard, I just love that smell (most dominant smell is a pipe tobacco scent). I let my dad borrow it and he put the Essence of Scotland stuff away and kept my Blackbeard, tells me its his favorite too.

The weirdest I've ever smelled has got to be LASS's CCXIII. It just smells......strange. I feel like I should hate it, but I don't. It's got a nice menthol to it, not too cold but not too light, either. Just weird.

Favorite: MWF
Unusual - CF Redneck has been mentioned, so I'll go with Catie's Bubbles Quatre Cent Vingt (French for 420). It smells like weeeeed, man.

Favorite scents- Dr Jon's Propaganda. If anyone hasn't tried this, you owe it to yourself. Phenominal.
Tiki-Walk The Plank.

Odd- Maggard's Mango and Sage. To me, mostly all Mango, no Sage. Good soap but not great.

I don't really have any soaps that I could classify as an "unusual scent", but I have a couple that would probably rival each other for my current favorites...Stirling Ozark Mountain, and Island Man. The ozark mountain was my first Stirling soap I tried and it is fantastic, reminds me of the fresh smell of forest after it rains...awesome! And the island man is pretty darn good too, smells very tropical with hints of rum, coconut, and lots of other scents I can't really distinguish. I'm pretty bad when it comes to describing scents but if I had to describe what comes to mind with island man, it would be sipping a pina colada on a warm tropical beach.

Not sure what qualifies for "many", but my favorite is MWF. The most unusual is AOS Sandalwood with Tallow.

The MWF doesn't entice or anything like that (wouldn't want my SWMBO to smell like it), but it's just a pleasant, clean smell appropriate for a soap that will go between my face and a razor. The AOS Sandalwood is truly unusual. I wouldn't characterize it as smelling good, but it does draw you in, kind of like a pasture with manure (cows, not pigs). Smells earthy, with a bite. Unusual, but I like it!

My current favorite is Wet Shaving Products Vetiver. Oh so good!

But it's hard to beat ToBS Arlington or Eton College as basic all time classics.

As for most unusual Stirling Bonaparte or Van Yulay Papi's Pipe.

Favorites - Strop shoppe Black tie, RR "The Stallion, SIM,
Unusual - Mama Bear Andy's mint (smells exactly like them) and chiseled face summer storm was very unique also I just got B&M diamond and it smell like fresh cut grass.

Top Bottom