What's new

Is the R41 really worth it?

I currently own a 23C, 38C, and IKON Shavecraft 102 slant, all of which have proven to be excellent performers for me. All of which are relatively mild in comparison to the hype which surrounds the Muhle R41. I'm itching to purchase this razor. I guess I'm wondering, will it out perform those I already have in my den. I appreciate any and all feedback.

The R41 is great if you like an aggressive razor. It gives a very close and efficient shave. I think it's worth it. Although my advice would be to buy the head and add a heavier handle. You can get the head from Connaught or shaving ie for $23 shipped and a Maggard or Razorock stainless handle for $20. IMO it's a better combo than the regular R41 and it's cheaper.

It's a fantastic razor and delivers a longer lasting, closer shave than any other DE I've tried. I don't reach for it that much recently since I'm enjoying razors that pretty much shave on autopilot. If you're curious just pull the trigger. You'll either love it or have zero trouble unloading it on the B/S/T...

Switching directly from a mild razor to a super-aggressive one seems like a bad idea. Have you considered something that is not quite so ferocious? The FaTip is readily available and relatively inexpensive.

The 2011 R41 is my daily driver (using a heavy SS handle) but Dr. Awkward is right. Work your way up because the R41 is not for everyone.
However if you are one of the lucky ones and the R41 works for you there is simply no direct comparison though the ATT H2 is close to the 2013 version of the R41. It just feels a little different on the skin.

Maybe, maybe not. Only you will be able to decide for yourself. I didn't like it, too harsh for me, but many others love it.

Maybe, maybe not. Only you will be able to decide for yourself. I didn't like it, too harsh for me, but many others love it.

Good advice. Also, bear in mind that shaving with an aggressive razor like the R41 can be an acquired taste. You may not like it now, but a year or two from now.... Which is why I'm slow to get rid of equipment that doesn't work for me on the first try.

The R41 (2013) is perhaps my second most used, after my ATT H2. The R41 shaves are a bit smoother, but the H2 shaves are closer and last longer. I couple the R41 with the 150g Maggard handle. A beast for the beast.

The R41 (2013) is perhaps my second most used, after my ATT H2. The R41 shaves are a bit smoother, but the H2 shaves are closer and last longer. I couple the R41 with the 150g Maggard handle. A beast for the beast.

Love those Maggard handles! I use them with my ATT H1 and H2. :thumbup:

Oh dear.

It's not about "performance" per se, but it's about whether or not it works for you. If you get excellent shaves from a Merkur 23C/34C, then it's almost worth bragging about.

Newer, higher technology golf clubs will not make a better player out of you.

I think the best answer is to try it out for yourself, if it doesn't work out for you. you can always sell it on B/S/T. That's what I did, and I found the R41 to be too aggressive for me.

Oh dear.

It's not about "performance" per se, but it's about whether or not it works for you. If you get excellent shaves from a Merkur 23C/34C, then it's almost worth bragging about.

Newer, higher technology golf clubs will not make a better player out of you.

Somewhat true. When I started this journey, with a Merkur 34C HD, I thought I was set for life. It worked as well as the cartridges I'd been using for 40 years, and the blades were a lot cheaper. As I kept reading on this very expensive forum, however, I began to wonder whether I couldn't get a better shave with a different driver (or putter, or pitching wedge, or hybrid, etc.). Thus, the dive into razors. Unlike golf, for me some razors actually produce a closer, longer lasting shave using the same technique. I may be unusual, but I'm pleased I spent the money required to move up the aggressiveness continuum to find the H2, R41, FaTip and S2. Those are the four I usually use, while my 34C and Slim set at 9 usually ride the pine.

The R41 (2013) is perhaps my second most used, after my ATT H2. The R41 shaves are a bit smoother, but the H2 shaves are closer and last longer. ...

Interesting. My experience is the exact opposite. For me the R41-13 is a bit closer, but the H2 is a bit smoother.

The R41 is a great razor!
I used it as my daily for over a year.
It's a marvel.

Currently I use a ATT H1 or R1 (still back and forth) but...
I always shave on Sundays with the R41, and it's always the best shave of the week!

It's aggressive so watch your technique!
I just wish they made the damn razor in SS!!!!!!

Switching directly from a mild razor to a super-aggressive one seems like a bad idea. Have you considered something that is not quite so ferocious? The FaTip is readily available and relatively inexpensive.

This is of course a YMMV but I am able to shave without irritation with R41. That can not be said about FaTip. Both shave about the same close but R41 is easier for me.

Top Bottom