What's new

Don't touch the knife

There are reasons for what I say. When I say don't touch the knife, I really mean do not put the knife in the dish washer.
does any one listen t me ? NO, It was dirty they said, A little time in the dish washer will not hurt it they said.
Don't be so finicky what are you some four star professional chef ?

$DSCN2391.jpg

$DSCN2390.jpg

When I said don't touch the knife I mean My knife because If you put it down on the hot stove you will melt the handle.

Do they listen to me ?

$DSCN2389.jpg

Yes, so a cut all the melted plastic off, smoothed the bubbled up stuff down and that Is why I say again Don't touch my knife.
Yes I did pull it out of the garbage, No I'm not throwing it away.
Because it is expensive.
Because, I do not want to use what you got From IKEA.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm lucky that my wife understands knife handling requirements. Plus she is so scared of my top end ones, as they are too sharp for her liking so she reaches for something else.

That handle can be replaced as the knife blade looks to run all the way to the end. If making a new handle or getting someone to replace it is not in the budget, then maybe use a expoxy to fill the gaps and make the handle more comfortable to use.

I hope the offender now understands don't touch.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh good mother of Mary...that is terrible! Someone needs a timeout...for 125 years and 6 1/2 months. Go sit in the corner until you learn not to touch the knife.

SWMBO used to be real bad about throwing good knives in the dish washer. She did it to my Japanese chef's knife ONCE. I got her a Japanese paring knife that she really LOVES and now she hand washes it and is careful with other knives also. She doesn't want the abrasives in the dish washer soap to ruin the edge on her nice little paring knife.

Have you contacted a knifesmith about repairing it or are you going to do it yourself? Now would be a good time to put a nice custom handle on it. :001_smile

I am a chef by trade and have large quantities of knives. High end stuff. I keep a decent set of Dexter Russel on the magnetic bar so my wife has decent knives to use and if something goes horribly wrong it's no biggie. All my knives live in my rolls and kits. Dexter Russel is a great company. Love them for lots of reasons.

I am all right I have a reserve chefs knife, ( but thank you ouch for your generous offer of a new one. )
I will be repairing the handle, I still have to decide how. I am open for suggestions.
Today the rust spots are going to be removed with fine steel wool.

I use cheap(ish) Chinese cleavers most of the time so it's not really an issue for me. My girlfriend is scared of them as they're pretty huge, but so, so useful. I've yet to find a better knife design - the spine and flat of the blade smashes, the flat end of the blade is a perfect scoop for ingredients and moving things around the board. The blade is thin enough to take one hell of an edge that's easily resharpened (it's not exactly VG-10, but still good steel) and it's tall enough that there's no need to dislodge stuck ingredients building up on the edge until you're done cutting.

I will be repairing the handle, I still have to decide how. I am open for suggestions.

I may be biased, as I am a woodworker, but I would drill out the fasteners and remove the handle, and make a new solid wood handle, and insert new fasteners. Trace the existing handle onto the hardwood blank, cut it out, use files/rasps/spokeshaves to get it to finished state. Should be relatively quick.

I may be biased, as I am a woodworker, but I would drill out the fasteners and remove the handle, and make a new solid wood handle, and insert new fasteners. Trace the existing handle onto the hardwood blank, cut it out, use files/rasps/spokeshaves to get it to finished state. Should be relatively quick.

I'm not a woodworker, but I was thinking around the same lines when I saw that handle!

You can purchase stabilised wood that is slabed already to make it a real upgrade. Try here -http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/store-wide-price-reductions.2535/

Such a Shame, looks like a great knife although im not familiar with the brand, i never let anyone else sharpen or do any other sort of things like that with my knives.

You can purchase stabilised wood that is slabed already to make it a real upgrade. Try here -http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/store-wide-price-reductions.2535/

Some nice looking burls there, but I saw the prices and my jaw dropped. I have a friend that makes custom vape boxes (something to do with vaping, or e-cigarettes, I don't know, I never really paid attention) who works with burls and I can get off-cuts for free. I probably won't have my hands on any for a few months, though. If you're still looking by then, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, all I have to offer is walnut, maple, cherry, ash, and white oak. If you would like to go the hardwood route, I'd be happy to help you out with some blanks from my off-cuts (if you're CONUS).

I don't think you need anything stabilized beyond the point of the wood be dried sufficiently (10-12%). Once you sculpt your pieces from the blank, you can apply a finish or simple oil, and once that finish is cured, their should be no problems, provided you don't leave it soaking in water or put it through the dishwasher.

Such a Shame, looks like a great knife although im not familiar with the brand, i never let anyone else sharpen or do any other sort of things like that with my knives.

Germany is awash in small companies that make all kinds of things, in this case Knives.
Wüsthof make good knives, But you are also paying for the name and the marketing, I know that Wüsthof is a Product placement on allot of cooking shows here.

Kuppels is like the Opel of the German cooking knife. Not top of the line but not bad at all and well worth the price.
(Opel is a German car brand owned by Ford.)

Here's a sneak peek.

Will you hone it before shipping? And could it come in blue?

FWIW (and to avoid a total derail), I informed my wife that I wanted to buy her a "real" knife for Christmas, but she had to prove to me that she would be responsible enough to not throw it in the dishwasher. Of course, I had to wash dishes that evening. :tongue_sm

Will you hone it before shipping? And could it come in blue?

FWIW (and to avoid a total derail), I informed my wife that I wanted to buy her a "real" knife for Christmas, but she had to prove to me that she would be responsible enough to not throw it in the dishwasher. Of course, I had to wash dishes that evening. :tongue_sm

Be careful what you ask for, a littele blue paint and a diamond stone could make that deadly

Top Bottom