What's new

Old chef knife and sharpening it

So, with me cooking more and wanting to use a sharp(er) , chef knife, i grabbed an accusharp to sharpen some serrated cheap knives and my old , dull and not used chef knife. Put a sharp edge on it, will probably touch it up again and finish it off with a barbers hone i have kicking around. Surprise was i looked at what i had and found it to be a dexters 48-10 chef knife. Almost ******. When i saw what they cost now. So needless to say ill be using it a lot. I even managed to slice in half a jalapeño pepper and carefully sliced out the membrane easy. Then diced it for my corn bread in my cast iron pan, first time making it.
Very happy it took an edge even though not really used for prob 20 years.

Lol, i should have known better
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437954636.188055.jpg

Since i used splenda the top didn't brown, but the bottom did nicely as it hit the hot butter.
The knife as you see is in fantastic shape after all these years of being dull. Works better now, i will get it sharper.

Being a German knife lover, Henckel's mainly but I also have a couple by Wusthoff, I hadn't heard of Dexter knives so I opened their website. They even have a local distributor so I'll stop by the check some out. Thanks for the tip.

After moving we left most of the cutlery for daughter, nothing good anyways. So last week i scored 2 goodwill auctions, mainly for steak knives and anything else was a bonus. Happy to report i got an imperial knife block,set made for ducks unlimited, and the knives were medium grade but the steak knives were nice, the other knives were not bad and i can put and keep an edge on them, then i picked a mixed sabatier /dansk set with a steel. Again the steak knifes were great, i cleaned the steel and the rest of the blades were medium grade, ok for home use. Finally i am going to get my dexter chef knife properly sharpened and then maintain the edge from there on out with my stones and steel.
Overall happy with both purchases under $20 each and got 9 steak very nice steak knives. All the knives were full blade and grip and all had 3 rivets.
When i get a minute ill take a pic of the haul and post. All set now for my needs here.
I say medium grade as there were not as thick and durable as my dexter, but will be servicable.
Here is the pic, i left out block.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800102.626099.jpg

Last edited:
that 8" 3 piece Sab can get screaming sharp if it is a carbon blade. I never messed with their stainless but that line carbon is actually decent to work with. I got a couple at a junk shop and they cleaned up nice and used the 8" on the line for a lot of knife work during service. Eventually another chef wanted it more than me and I ended up with a nice profit on it. It usually doesn't end that well for me.

I believe they are stainless, I cant find much info on the Sabatier Loire line or the robot coupe. They do look like they have some age on them, but took to sharpening well. At least for home use these will do.
I have big hands and they feel good and solid.
On the imperial knives I could not find much info either, but they feel good and took to sharpening well. My thought was that if Ducks unlimited offered them , they were not junk and probably middle of the road somewhere in quality. I was not disappointed, I removed any stains with fine steel wool, and put mineral oil on all the handles.
For home use these will work out fine I believe.

I did find the diamond emblem on one of the sabatiers, i guess that is an original sabatier, should get a good edge on them. They are a work in progress.

I did find the diamond emblem on one of the sabatiers, i guess that is an original sabatier, should get a good edge on them. They are a work in progress.

I have some carbon steel Sabatier knives that we purchased 30-plus years ago. If that is what you have then you are in GOOD SHAPE. These are terrific knives that really take an edge!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom