What's new

How to get my brush to give up that lather

Hey Guys,

A few days ago, I got a beautiful 2 band finest in the mail. Its my first real premium brush and i am having trouble getting it lathered/getting it to give up that lather. Does anyone have and tips as to getting more lather loaded in and/or getting it to give the lather up?

My main soaps are soft to firm medium density and are easily lathered by my synth knot.

Thanks,
Brenden

proxy.php

You can always squeeze the knot to force the lather to the top. If the brush was sufficiently loaded, that should provide plenty of lather, although you may have to add water as you apply the lather to your face.

You can always squeeze the knot to force the lather to the top. If the brush was sufficiently loaded, that should provide plenty of lather, although you may have to add water as you apply the lather to your face.

Yeah, i think that i may be leaving it too dry. It just feels so different from how i lather with my plisson. Gotta keep practicing i think.

+1. I hold my brush with the handle set in my palm and my fingers at the bottom of the knot. When I need more lather I gently squeeze the knot.

Lathering with a Plisson synthetic is a lot different. A synthetic because of the nature of the fibers keeps the lather on top of the knot. A badger requires a little bit different technique. First, be sure you have enough product on your brush. And add water as you go along. Spend enough time working the lather on your face.

I just got a larger and denser knot than I was used to. I had the same issues as you describe. What has been working for me (and I felt foolish for not heeding the common advice) is a little bit more product, a lot more water, and more time building. It just needed more, as it was more brush. That's what worked for me. Nice brush btw!

+1 on using more water as you work your brush. You might have to fool around a bit until you get it down, but make a few practice lathers for now, and you'll find what works best.

More, more, more - More product, more water, more brush.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Jim's lathering wiki HERE and I have been getting terrific lather from day one. The key for me was his technique putting about a teaspoon of water on the soap and letting it sit while my brush soaked and I took my shower. Then the brush loads even easier than with wet bristles alone. Granted, the bowl/mug also makes a difference, and I have had luck with a deep ceramic mug I got from Brookhouse Pottery on Etsy. Mine is a different color, but the design is terrific. The little surface imperfections inside the mug help the lather explode when I am making it.

Good luck finding your best method!

(Please note that I am not affiliated with Brookhouse Pottery in any way other than as a happy customer!)

Top Bottom