What's new

XTG on neck issues

Every single time I shave across the grain on my neck it always results in cuts or razor burn. Any advice?

Advice? Don't do it, nothing says you have to XTG the neck area. I found my face I can do WTG then XTG but my neck has to be WTG both times. Actually slightly diagonal due to the growth pattern but never XTG or ATG on the neck just too much irritation and not worth it.

-Stephen

Advice? Don't do it, nothing says you have to XTG the neck area. I found my face I can do WTG then XTG but my neck has to be WTG both times. Actually slightly diagonal due to the growth pattern but never XTG or ATG on the neck just too much irritation and not worth it.

-Stephen

thanks that's what I was kind of thinking! Appreciate the advice

a Parker 99r with shark blades

As stated you don't have to do it, I have been using straights for many months now and have tried various ways and still can't seem to get that BBS shave on my neck so I get the best I can and live irritation free.

Your original post mentioned across the grain.

I don't have much luck with across the grain until I've first gone with, then against the grain.

I follow these up with a bit of blade buffing against the grain, and the results are consistently good, pain-free and nick-free.

As has been mentioned, you don't have to preform all of the standard passes. Just do two WTG passes on the neck and see what happens. :001_smile

Most likely it's the old angle and pressure problems on the neck. Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. This post may help you. Also, take a look at this wiki.

I gave up some time ago trying to get the same shave on my neck as on my face - it's not worth it. You get maybe 1 or 2 hours of smoothness, but 20-24 of irritation that follows into the next day's shave.

2 WTG is plenty, IMHO.

I went to a barbers for a shave yesterday (really enjoyed it), but she having gone against the grain means I've been irritated till just now and going through AS balm like nobody's business!

Every single time I shave across the grain on my neck it always results in cuts or razor burn. Any advice?

Mine does as well, so I just stick with wtg and atg. My problem is the hair on my neck grows in the direction from left to right and is a bit awkward to get the right shaving angle easily.

Super great advice from Ackvil, I don't do against the grain for that same reason, just do with the grain until you get better at technique and gear choice.

Top Bottom