What's new

Easiest Pan Roasted Chicken

I'm going to let you in on my "secret" method to pan roast a chicken. I know it's grilling season, so that might just make you want to hold off until cooking moves indoors, but really, this recipe deserves to be made all year round.

Get yourself a chicken, either cut up into 8 pieces, or cut it up yourself. If the breasts are overlarge cut them in half. In a bowl put 3 tablespoons of olive oil (no need for extra virgin here) 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, 3 bay leaves, and 4 or 5 whole peeled garlic cloves. Whisk to combine and add chicken pieces, making sure all are coated in marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes to 12 hours; you can do this prep in the morning and cook at dinner time, or you can do this prep while the oven preheats to 350°F.

Preheat a skillet over a medium high burner on your range. The skillet must be oven-safe (stainless steel or cast iron work best). When the skillet is very hot place the chicken skin-side down and cook for 12 minutes. Do not turn the chicken. After 12 minutes on range transfer to hot oven and cook for 35 minutes. Make sure the garlic cloves are not touching the surface of the skillet, but rather resting atop the chicken. (The garlic will burn if touching metal)

Remove to platter and let rest for 10 minutes. The skin will be the crispiest on a roast chicken you will ever have, crunchy as a potato chip.

Bon apetit!

Last edited:
Sounds good! CI skillets are the best for chicken. I buy skin on chicken breasts and sear them skin side down, seasoned with just salt and pepper, until well browned (a grill press really helps this process along) then add some thinly sliced onions and place the seared breasts, skin side up, on top of them. Transfer to the oven at 160C and roast for 20-25 mins. Perfect every time! Who says that chicken breast is a boring cut?

Mmmmmm this thread is getting put into the bookmarks folder!

So not to hijack, but where is a good place to get a cast iron skillet for a reasonable price?

If you make mashed potatoes to go with this you can mash up the roasted garlic and mix it in with the potatoes along with the milk/cream and butter. Give the cloves a rough chop and then smear the garlic with the sides of a chef's knife back and forth along the cutting board until it becomes a paste.

Didn't even bother with pepper this time, just skin on chicken breast, a little oil and a good amount of coarse salt on the skin side

$image.jpg

Top Bottom