What's new

Sous Vide anyone?

Do any of you use Sou vide in your cooking. What advantage do you see. Favorite food to Sou vide? What equipment do you use?

I have an Anvoa Precision and an Anova One. The greatest advantage is being able to achieve consistent results, with some really extraordinary textures and moisture content. Thick cut pork chops are killer. Scrambled eggs, too. It can be a great tool but that is all. It will not replace the rest of your kitchen but it can supplement what you already have.

Th Anova has been on my birthday and christmas list for a bit but has yet to find its way here. I don't know what I have at work but I never really used it for anything fun. Duck Confit or pre-heating steaks to Med-Rare for a busy night is about it. Such a pity :(

I picked up an Anova Precision as an Amazon gold box deal for $120 a couple of months ago. I have done corned beef, new potatoes, sirloin steak (texture of a filet!), but the best by a long shot has been the short ribs.

Short ribs are genius in SV. There is a recipe on Chef Steps for pork steak SV that is on my "to do" list

I've got an Anova machine that I'll pull out a couple times a month. Proteins cook very well in it. It's surprisingly easy to use, but ensure you've got a cast iron or stainless pan to get rocket hot in order to quickly sear the outside of the meat after cooking.

I thought I'd use it all the time before buying, but the fact that it's slow to cook relegates it to weekends around my house. I have made some ribs in it, though, which work just fine to start around dinner time and leave for the next 24 hours. Those are some of the sauciest ribs I've ever had.

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek, but if you don't like the sous vide, why did you order it? If you want something piping hot, order it grilled and not sous vide.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Internal temp to achive medium is the same, no matter what the cooking method. So how would it be any colder. Did they give you a steak that had been prepared long before you got it?
I have not had a sous vide steak myself but it sounds similar in process to a reverse sear steak.
I have had sous vide lamb shanks and a sous vide lamb leg. The lamb leg was finished in the oven just to brown. Both were hot and very tasty.

Rare is 125 degF internal. By the time it gets to your table, it's warm, but not hot. If it sat, I could see it getting cold. It's still really no reason to post and complain about restaurants no one else has been to and for ordering something you don't enjoy.

Jez seems to be quoting a restaurant critic for The Times named Giles Coren. I found where the opening line of "Oh NO! Sous-vide. They’re still doing that out here in the boonies! Oh help. Oh mummy. Oh please say it isn’t so." is used in his review of a place called Trullo in London and another called Kingham Plough in Oxfordshire. Unfortunately, The Times site is behind a paywall.

I suspected that he was referencing a critic's review, and a little googling confirmed it (or binging in this case).

http://www.bing.com/search?q="Oh+NO...h+please+say+it+isn’t+so"&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

Hello All,
I haven't posted in quite a while this was the first place i thought of after I purchased a anova sous vide.
Please send suggestions. I did a ribeye at 131 deg. Then i killed it by browning under the broiler? Bad idea, i have not purchased a blow torch. Tried think pork chops and they were great.

I have in the fridge a bone in ribeye. Any suggestions?

FYI, its nice to be back.

Welcome back!

A torch is great but a screaming hot cast pan works wonders. Make certain that the meat has been dried off completely or the sear will falter.

Regarding the ribeye, it is a tough cut for sous vide because of the fat content. Depending on the thickness of the steakI would probably reverse sear instead of sous vide.

Has anyone done SV the hacked way...lots of videos on youtube....I thinking about trying that when I get home before I fork over the money for the anova.

Top Bottom