What's new

Your first three soaps?

Hey guys so I'm new here and I have gotten the shaving soap bug!!! My first and only three soaps I have are. These will be in order from what I purchased first

1) Razorock Don Marco (Vegan Formula) - I didn't know it was Vegan till it arrived (newbie mistake) but the lather isn't bad and wow that "dreamsicle" smell is great. I really like the soap and I'm still trying to master the art of getting a perfect lather and I'm getting better

2) Razorock For Chicago (Tallow/Aloe Formula) -now this stuff is great I love the manly smell to it. Its so easy to lather up, has a great thick lather that will give you great protection. The slickness is nice so going over a pass wouldn't be bad but I normally just leave it and get it on the next lather. All and all I'm really impressed with my first Tallow/Aloe soap.

3) Caiti's Bubbles LPD "spice of life" (Glycerin Formula) - now my first shave with it was yesterday and I loved it. The smell is a fall/winter fragrance, its a little spicy a little sweet. Unfortunately my wife's not a big fan of the smell but its not I've powering once your done shaving and a AS will mask it. The lather is nice the slickness is great (typical Glycerin) and the protection seemed great because I used my slanted head for the first time with this soap and not one nick.

Eventually I would really like to get an all Tallow soap but these three will last me awhile.

My first 3 were either VDH or Colonel Conk, before discovering B&B, and 'sort of' a newbie mistake on my part. The VDH Deluxe works fine now that my lathering technique has improved but I've yet to try any of the 4 original CCs.

As far as tallow vs. vegan, some of the vegans outperform some of the tallows and vice versa. I'm not sold on either category.

My first soaps were The Palmolive stick( awsome) The blue Wilkinson Tub( not that good at all) at This Point i was only purchasing my soaps at drugstores\supermarkets but then i bought the Mühle sandalwood porcelane bowl online, really great stuff. From then on some kind of addiction startet.

I probably shouldn't have said all tallow, but instead said tallow to allow for less confusion. What i was trying to say was i would like to try a tallow without aloe soap.

Ahh ... many choices there. My obvious one, since I live in Europe, would be the Palmolive stick.

In practices, I have some very good tallow soaps, and some very good non-tallow soaps.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I know that TOBS Avocado was my first cream or soap. I'm pretty sure that Cella and DRH Arlington were the next two, but really can't be sure.

My first three were:
A terrible Etsy soap (I don't remember the brand)
RazoRock Don Marco
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice selection for your first three.

Mine were:
Straight Razor Designs Vetiver
Maggard Razors London Barbershop
Pre de Province

Mike's (picked up samples of Barbershop, Coconut and Orange & Cedarwood)
Haslinger Schafmilch
La Toja

All three are still in my rotation (although I only use La Toja when I travel).

You guys all did way better than me. I'd love to go back and see what people here recommended to me that I must have completely ignored.

VdH deluxe - this one was bad. Really bad, so much so that I knew it back then. I didn't even want to use it in the shower with it's terrible powdery scent. What can I say, I was impatient and needed a brush so I grabbed the cheap kit with the brush, bowl and soap. I used it for a week before my other soaps arrived then that was it for that one. I think it hit the trash or got given away, all I know is that once I had something better it was gone.

Ogallala Bay Rum and Orange - smells excellent but the performance was not so good. I bought it because it was inexpensive and I had already spent what I thought was a lot at the time (I had no idea) on the other gear. After all it was just soap right, soap is soap so they should all be about the same anyway. I used an entire puck of it and bought another because I liked the scent so much and had no idea there were much better soaps out there. Now I know, but I still love the scent of this one. It's cheap enough I'm tempted to buy it as a shower soap.

RazoRock Caribbean Coconut - ok performance but the coconut smell is way too weak with this one. I really like a great smelling coconut soap and so looked forward to this one but it disappointed me. The other reason I ordered it was because it was the only RazoRock soap that I could tell what it smelled like from the name. It's been long replaced by a Phoenix Artisan coconut soap that's absolutely outstanding in scent and performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom