What's new

Shavette Questions ?

I wanted to use Straights and found it to be too much work for what little time I do have ... So I use DE razors now ( Gillette Slim and Jagger DE89 lined) and I really like them and the shave .. So in one of my trades I got a shavette with blades and should be here soon��..I am ready to give it a go and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions or advice ?? What blades do you guys use ??? Does anyone use feather or Gillette Silver blues blades or something similar and is that a wise choice ?? Oh I am not the quality of the shavette I am getting but its a Parker and will post up pics later and I also have a Sally's supply by my house that has really nice shavettes for cheap ..

Thanks

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Congrats on the pick-up. :thumbup1:

Just pic a blade that you like and go for it. I have found that any blade I like in a DE works in my shavette for me, but others have different preferences the same way they use different blades in different razors.

Just be aware that, even though you might be using a DE blade that you love and get no hassle results from in a DE, there is no guard on a shavette, so be careful out there. No pressure and a low angle.

When I was just starting out I used both the Kai Mild Titan and Feather Pro Guard. Now I just use the Feather Pro, which is wickedly sharp. Absolutely NO pressure for the Feathers!

I only use disposable blade straights, and I like feather blades in mine. +1 on the no pressure, and start with that blade flat against your face. Then only use enough angle to cut the whiskers.

Pick a blade... You'll get to experiment all over again.

I find they feel different on a shavette than on a DE. Though some of my favorites remain on both (Astra, Feather, Shark) others I like more in the shavette than DE (Bluebird) and others I like better in the DE than shavette (Gillette 7oclock SS)

As noted above: NO PRESSURE. This is key and helps you overcome a lot of other errors you might make.
An Astra, or even Derby, will cut you just as easily as a Feather when you let your focus slip: do not kid yourself.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have had good results with the blue pack Personna DE blades from Sallys, which is also where I got my current two shavettes that I occasionally use. The first shave is very touchy. Keep the spine verrrrrrrry close to the face. Not only light pressure, but a light touch on the cutting stroke. Sometimes the blade will grab but with a light touch you might prevent a cut. You might also cork the blade before your first shave with it. The second shave on a blade is way less bloody. The first shave smoothes the edge so that it doesnt get so grabby. A fairly mild blade like a Derby might be worth trying.

One thing that will surprise you is how long you can use a blade in a SHAVETTE <edit>. I get a lot more shaves from a blade used in a shavette than in a regular DE razor. I think because the angle is shallower when using a shavette properly.

Last edited:
Very good advice in these posts.

You will need to stretch your skin to make it fair. It may be best to practice without a blade for a bit to get a feel for it. I find just about any blade works well. Keep your lather a little wet and start off WTG for the first few times.

A shavette has been my go to for the best part of a year now and I've stopped patrolling eBay for that next new thing since I began using shavettes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have had good results with the blue pack Personna DE blades from Sallys, which is also where I got my current two shavettes that I occasionally use. The first shave is very touchy. Keep the spine verrrrrrrry close to the face. Not only light pressure, but a light touch on the cutting stroke. Sometimes the blade will grab but with a light touch you might prevent a cut. You might also cork the blade before your first shave with it. The second shave on a blade is way less bloody. The first shave smoothes the edge so that it doesnt get so grabby. A fairly mild blade like a Derby might be worth trying.

One thing that will surprise you is how long you can use a blade in a SHAVETTE <edit>. I get a lot more shaves from a blade used in a shavette than in a regular DE razor. I think because the angle is shallower when using a shavette properly.
Can you post up pics of the shavettes cause I have a sally around here and I was looking at grabing one..

Yeah thank you very much guy for all the help here .. I can't wait to use it for the first time .. But the one I got is the folded sheet metal version and are they worth using and I was thinking about picking up the $20 parker or up for suggestions here

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$20150728_003624.jpg

Well, With a Sallys nearby, you could have just gone there to see what it looks like, but here ya go.

Can you post up pics of the shavettes cause I have a sally around here and I was looking at grabing one..

View attachment 589801

Well, With a Sallys nearby, you could have just gone there to see what it looks like, but here ya go.

I am Sorry I don't mean to ruffly your feathers here.. I reason I asked cause Sally's sell alot shavettes by me and I wanted see what you have.. I have the folded sheet version which you have posted there and I was looking to get the better version posted below or up for suggestion or is the folded sheet steel good enough ?? Also Sally's sell these Stainless steel shavette for under $10 buck and they seem pretty nice also..

Parker SRB Replaceable Blade Shavette

proxy.php

You find?
I tend to have less longevity in the shavette than the DE. Primarily that I have good tolerance for a "dull" DE to let me use it for far longer beyond its prime but with a shavette that I simply don't want to use an edge past prime (two shaves per edge is normal for me on a DE shavette)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
LOL Feathers are unruffled here. But I didn't have good light for photography.

They did or maybe still do sell a shavette that uses the long Weck type single edge blades, and also the Personna blades that fit those. I used their Personna long SE blades in my Sextoblade and they were pretty good, betterr than NOS Weck blades.

I find the $5.99 "Magic" brand as pictured to be quite good enough. But an unlucky buyer might find one that doesn't hold the blade securely without a little ball peen adjustment. The Parker style has a lot of fans but it looks a little too "busy" for me, mechanically.

I am Sorry I don't mean to ruffly your feathers here.. I reason I asked cause Sally's sell alot shavettes by me and I wanted see what you have.. I have the folded sheet version which you have posted there and I was looking to get the better version posted below or up for suggestion or is the folded sheet steel good enough ?? Also Sally's sell these Stainless steel shavette for under $10 buck and they seem pretty nice also..

Parker SRB Replaceable Blade Shavette

proxy.php

Last edited:
Been using my sr1 for the longest time and some things i do personally out of experience is

1. Lay blade flat and while doing really small strokes keep adding angle to the shavette until you feel its cutting but without irritation,
2. Lots of prep before shaving, i find that it works best after a hot shower.
3. Never put pressure (learnd the painfully hard way),

And one more thing i never leave the blade in the shavette after use, i clean it thouroughly and dry it then put the blade back in after it has dried, if you justleave it there after some of the soap and oil etc tends to stay inside the shavette looks dirty after a while it changes color

Last edited:
Gillette super platinum Black blades with a shavette is great combination. As suggested stretch your skin and keep the blade flat against the skin and not try too deep angles until you become comfortable using a shavette and then over days progress to XTG and ATG.

Cheers
KS

Top Bottom