What's new

Cigar lounge advice

Hey gents. I was traveling recently, and to pass the time one evening I settled in to a cigar lounge to smoke a cigar. I'm a pipe smoker, and the little experience I've had with cigars tells me I will always be a pipe smoker. Nothing compares to a good bowl of English tobacco, certainly not yet.

Anyway, I think I'll be doing that now and then, passing some time in a cigar lounge. At the $10-12 price point, I can get a good long smoke in a comfy chair.

My question is, what cigars would be commonly available in most places, that I would enjoy? I had a Gurkha Anejo I think, aged in rum barrels. Did not like it. Too much like an aromatic pipe tobacco, too sweet, too artificial. I had a Comacho that was aged in a bourbon barrel, and it was great. I also had a cigar, I forgot the name, which was fire cured. It was not like the fire cured Latakia I love, but it was very tasty.

So...suggestions? There are so many to choose from, and unlike shopping for pipe tobacco, there is no tin description!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Do you smoke flavored tobacco in your pipe? If not, I think you have lots of options. The Fuente Hemingway is nice, with an interesting shape. The Hoyo DE Monterrey Excalibur and the Punch Grand Cru series have a deep and hearty flavor and aroma, and a good thick almost damp smoke that would remind you of a pipe, if you stick to the bigger ones.

Grab an Isla Del Sol by Drew Estates. $5-6, Nicaraguan, sugar end so it's soft on your lips. Fantastic cigar that won't leave you dizzy or green :)

Do you smoke flavored tobacco in your pipe? If not, I think you have lots of options. The Fuente Hemingway is nice, with an interesting shape. The Hoyo DE Monterrey Excalibur and the Punch Grand Cru series have a deep and hearty flavor and aroma, and a good thick almost damp smoke that would remind you of a pipe, if you stick to the bigger ones.

Nope, no flavored tobacco.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Was the Fire Cured the Kentucky Fire Cured? It's from Drew Estates. I'm not sure, but I think it has some Perique or Latikia, which could account for you liking it. I would recommend trying some Maduro smokes, Excalibur Maduro, Punch Maduro Maduro, Bolivar, Perdomo Habano Maduro, Perdomo Champagne Noir. With your preference for a good English blend, I think Maduro is the way to go.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You can't go too wrong with most Fuentes -usually available in a B&M or Liga Privada #9 or Undercrown.

+1. Every blue moon or so, my brother and I will get a good steak at Mickey Mantle's In OKC. It's a pretty expensive place in the historic Bricktown tourist district. They have a pretty nice cigar lounge we mosey over to after dinner. I usually get the same AF Short Story and either 2 fingers of Glenfiddich neat or 3 fingers on ice, depending on how I'm feeling after that steak. :)

+1. Every blue moon or so, my brother and I will get a good steak at Mickey Mantle's In OKC. It's a pretty expensive place in the historic Bricktown tourist district. They have a pretty nice cigar lounge we mosey over to after dinner. I usually get the same AF Short Story and either 2 fingers of Glenfiddich neat or 3 fingers on ice, depending on how I'm feeling after that steak. :)

Sounds like a great after dinner routine to me. Next time you are there, try an AF Hemmingway. There is just something about that Cameroon wrapper that is awesome.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sounds like a great after dinner routine to me. Next time you are there, try an AF Hemmingway. There is just something about that Cameroon wrapper that is awesome.

I just might do that. You are the second person as of late that has said this about the wrapper. About 4 months ago, I arrested a young man who was using Hemingway's to roll marijuana blunts. I actually asked him on the ride to the county jail about why he would waste, quality expensive brown leaf to just put in inexpensive green leaf.

He told me because he really liked the wrapper.

I just might do that. You are the second person as of late that has said this about the wrapper. About 4 months ago, I arrested a young man who was using Hemingway's to roll marijuana blunts. I actually asked him on the ride to the county jail about why he would waste, quality expensive brown leaf to just put in inexpensive green leaf.

How can you go wrong with an endorsement like that? :lol:

My son is also a deputy. Thank you for doing what you do.

Sounds like it's not such a waste. He's enjoying the flavor of that wrapper; isn't that what it's for? The filler and binder are wasted, though...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hahaha. I totally skipped over that part. Thanks.
You were right, any of the Hemingway line are excellent smokes, from the Short Story (I always have a box of these) to the Masterpiece. The Masterpiece is probably the best of them, but you need a good solid 2 hours to devote to it

Macanudo and Montecristo are very generally available and high quality. You can't beat Fuente Opus X, but you probably won't find it either.

Padron makes some really nice cigars. While there are the various "fancy" editions, I think the plain jane basic Padron is a great cigar and not totally unreasonably priced.

You could meld your worlds and try a Spectre by A.J. Fernandez (if they have it). It's got some Latakia in it. It's definitely not like any other cigar out there.

Top Bottom