What's new

TOBS Sandalwood

I got a sampler pack of TOBS from Maggard Razors last night, and I thought I'd give them a shot this morning.

First one I've tried so far was the Sandalwood, and I was pleasantly surprised at how thick the lather was from the cream! It whipped up nicely, got a thick lather, and I didn't feel like I needed to keep adding water to it like I do with the Bigelow/Proraso cream.

The wife came by as I was whipping it up and she saw it in the bowl; her comment was, "Wow...that looks like Cool Whip! How much did you use?"

"About the size of my pinky nail."

"Wow! Now I want to try the stuff you gave me!" (I gave her several of the TOBS samples that I smelled and instantly took a dislike to - Peppermint, Lemon Lime, and Rose; something about those scents just hit me wrong).

I have a feeling that the TOBS creams are going to become a staple in my household in the very near future, both for me and the wife. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This week I was alternating between TOBS Sandalwood and TOBS Almond ... today I switched to a croap- hate to say which, but a popular Italian name brand.

DRIED while I was working. Did NOT have the same lube quality ... Did NOT get as good a shave, thought blade and razor were the same.

TOBS, I swear, is the best. Consider joining Team TOBS ...

AA

Yeah TOBS is one of my favorites. My wife Loves the Sandalwood and therefore I love the Sandalwood. I am a big fan of their Mr. Taylors too. Don't know if you bowl lather or face lather but when I started face lathering...I started to enjoy TOBS all the more. Feels very luxurious and rich on the face. There are some that are not huge fans of TOBS...but as they say..YMMV. Definitely should join TeamTOBS.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Face lathering will do it with this one ... cheap soaps get beat in a bowl!

I just wonder how long a bowl of the stuff lasts; want to try the lavender, but having three open seems ... excessive.

I *think* it's perishable, unlike a puck of soap.

The stuff just rocks. Unbeatable.

AA

I got two tubs of TOBS -- sandalwood and grapefruit -- last June.
I estimate that I used them on average anywhere from two to five times a week between them -- the push to five came during April to June to try to finish them up.
I finally finished them at the end of June and on July 1. I kept underestimating how far the remainder would go even after seeing the bottom of the tub.
I loved the grapefruit. I'd had my fill of the sandalwood scent by the time I was done.

I have the Sandalwood, love it.
I also have the AS balm which gets the scent burrowed in better.

Waiting for the mailman to bring me Coconut, Avocado and Jermyn Street.
I also have some MWF for when I want to go crazy and make a superlather....but these creams (and the soap) do soooo fine by themselves.

For me, Sandalwood is a heavenly smell. It reminds me of Mad Men, with the execs sitting around in a board room smoking Lucky Strikes in their wingback leather chairs, drinking highballs. :) LOL

I've got samples of the Eaton College, Jermyn St, and like, 4 other scents that I liked that the wife didn't snatch from me (unfortunately, she claimed the grapefruit sample), and I'm looking forward to trying them soon (in fact, I may have to go home tonight and try some - I've got some pretty long stubble on the back of my head, and I was in a hurry this morning, missing the mustache and "soul patch" areas of my face).

I like the Bigelow/Proraso tubes that I got at Bath & Body Works, but I'm thinking that I might have to shift it over to the wife and buy some full tubs of TOBS. :)

My TOBS Sandalwood should appear in my mailbox any day now. I have Eton College, Grapefruit, and Peppermint and love all of those. Can't wait for the Cedar scent to be released. I am definitely on Team TOBS.

+1 !!
My TOBS Sandalwood should appear in my mailbox any day now. I have Eton College, Grapefruit, and Peppermint and love all of those. Can't wait for the Cedar scent to be released. I am definitely on Team TOBS.

I'm hoping the Cedar is released by December, as I will be in London then, and plan to visit TOBS' actual shop while I am there (along with a couple of similar shops in the neighbourhood...) - Can't wait !!

+1 !!

I'm hoping the Cedar is released by December, as I will be in London then, and plan to visit TOBS' actual shop while I am there (along with a couple of similar shops in the neighbourhood...) - Can't wait !!

I got a reply from them saying August so plenty of chance to grab a pot :smile:

Face lathering will do it with this one ... cheap soaps get beat in a bowl!

I just wonder how long a bowl of the stuff lasts; want to try the lavender, but having three open seems ... excessive.

I *think* it's perishable, unlike a puck of soap.

The stuff just rocks. Unbeatable.

AA

From what I understand they are not as perishable as you think. I have two tubs right now (Mr. Taylors and St. James) and I use them both about once a week. I bought both of them around January of this year. Okay I fibbed...I use Mr. Taylor more. I probably use more product than i should and while my Mr. Taylor is almost gone (probably about 10 shaves left), I still have about a half of a tub left of my St. James. I think most people have said that you can get about three months of continuous use out of a tub...give or take.

I bought TOBS Sandalwood after watching a video someone did for a straight razor, and seeing how well it lathered.

I also really like the scent.

Good stuff .. have been using TOBS Sandalwood and TOBS Almond for years. Thinking about adding the grapefruit to the cart next order and giving it a go as well. Coconut going into the bowl tomorrow .. refill time!

One of my first quality shave soaps (many, many years ago) and it is still a favorite. Always have some in the shave den ...

My first TOBS was the sandlewood and I love it. I was bored the other day and mad about a job I did not get so I ordered the sample pack. Do they all shave above the same or is there one that you feel gives you better shave? I can't shave my neck everyday if I do I get razor burn bad. I have to wait at least 2 days between shaves. Does not seem to matter what razor, brush or cream I use. I guess its just my neck. But regardless just trying to find the best cream for my neck. I usually only shave once a week sometimes twice at the most I feel like I get my smoothest best shaves that way.

I want to try the Jermyn Street Cream next. I have it in the soap and I'm hoping the scent in the cream is just as good. Has anyone used both soap and cream in Jermyn St.?

Top Bottom