What's new

Source for Horn Scale Blanks?

A couple of the more obvious places (Maggard, USAKnifemaker), seem to be sold out of some of their stock. Anyone have a favorite place to purchase horn scale blanks?

An ebay seller in the UK. Otherwise direct from India on Alibaba...but its a bit more of a process (and you have to order more than one!)

Thanks, looks Alibaba has a 10 piece minimum. I'll check out local lapidary supply shops.

On a related topic, is bone tough to work with?

I just saw that our local pet supply stores sell water buffalo horn; elk, deer, and moose antlers; plus, giant pieces cleaned/bleached bone...cheap. I'm going to pick some up this weekend - definitely excited about being able to hand-select pieces myself.

Thanks, looks Alibaba has a 10 piece minimum. I'll check out local lapidary supply shops.

On a related topic, is bone tough to work with?
Bone is a bit of a pain to work with compared to acrylic or horn...lots of stinky fine dust and it will eat a lot of your sandpaper...but its worth it, I love the look and feel of bone scales :)

Try Texas Knifemaking Supply.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

Type "straight razor scales" in the search box and you will find a couple of sets of buffalo horn scales. i have used these myself. They are very nice, but be prepared to do some work to get them to the proper thickness.
Hope this helps.

Pete <:-}

Top Bottom