What's new

Looking for a beard trimming razor. What should I look for?

Hi everyone.

I've used quite a few razors, mostly straight razors but a few years back (maybe five or eight) I got a couple safety razors just for the convenience of not having to strop and sharpen so frequently. I have a very wiry beard. Anyway, my daily tends to be a Gillette Fatboy which I love for many reasons that I'm sure you all already know.

Anyway, enough background. I have a full beard, which I trim and edge with the Fatboy. What I'd like to find is a safety razor with an edge guard that I could use to trim my beard itself to around 1/2 - 5/8" or so long. To make it look more even. I'm imagining it like the Fatboy's adjustable but to a more extreme level. Or maybe just a guard that goes over a standard razor. Did this ever exist or did men use only scissors to trim their beards before the age of electric clippers?

I'm sorry if this is an obvious thing but I attempted to search and only found information on how to trim around your beard with a safety. I want to shorten, but not remove, the actual beard.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. - if I took the same double razors I use in my Fatboy that'd be even better.

I have done some trimming with a pocket comb. I wait until the blade feels about done, then at the end of the shave I will lather up the area to be trimmed. Place the comb over it, and shave any hair that sticks out. Repeat until happy.

This is a fairly basic technique, but it meets my needs.

Back when I wore a beard, I used to use an Open Comb Gillette Old Type to trim and shape my beard. It worked well for touch ups too. Try an Old Type Gillette. It will suit your needs just fine.

I bought a razor yesterday that might do the trick. Ill put the kids to bed then ill make a photo. Iirc its called a 'sava'

Edit:eek:k. This is it. It has huge blade exposure on one side, next yo nothing on the other. I think its used as a hair trimmer, not a razor.

$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I don't know of any a razor and guard system that will do this. Plus, at 1/2" - 5/8" of length, you are going to need a really precise tool to keep your beard looking uniform.

Even though I love safety razors...they are for shaving only in my book.

Get a good trimmer and skip the hassle.

i was half expecting someone to post up some bizzare antique hand-crank or clockwork, adjustable guarded, miniture sickle mower thing.... sadly, the answer was 'just use scissors'

Top Bottom