What's new

A DeLong Perspective - The Chinese Silvertip Brush

Well, it arrived yesterday.

Quicker than expected, too. I was figuring on a 20 day wait or even longer, these DeLong brushes come from China direct, but nope. Took about 2 weeks.

To clarify, this is the Silvertip Badger with the faux ivory handle from DeLong that you see on eBay from Virtualvillage.com for about $25.00, the same brush that appears in the Reviews section.
As others have reported, it arrives in a semi-collapsed plastic case, which rides in a bubble-wrap envelope to your house.
The funk of badger is heavy with this one, but a good thorough soak in a heavy shampoo followed by a vigorous rinsing helped a lot.
The hairs bloom out the moment they get a chance to drink, and water retention is exactly what you'd expect from real silvertip. The water fights a little when you squeeze the hairs dry.
Good feel and weight on the handle, a classic design.
No hairs lost as yet, and I expected it to shed a hair or two during it's wash and first shave, but it came through with flying colors.

I really think this needs to be recommended with more regularity as a beginner's brush.
Actually, I think this needs to be recommended more to everyone; oldtimers, collectors, newbies, everyone.
It's a fantastic brush.

Well, it arrived yesterday.

Quicker than expected, too. I was figuring on a 20 day wait or even longer, these DeLong brushes come from China direct, but nope. Took about 2 weeks.

To clarify, this is the Silvertip Badger with the faux ivory handle from DeLong that you see on eBay from Virtualvillage.com for about $25.00, the same brush that appears in the Reviews section.
As others have reported, it arrives in a semi-collapsed plastic case, which rides in a bubble-wrap envelope to your house.
The funk of badger is heavy with this one, but a good thorough soak in a heavy shampoo followed by a vigorous rinsing helped a lot.
The hairs bloom out the moment they get a chance to drink, and water retention is exactly what you'd expect from real silvertip. The water fights a little when you squeeze the hairs dry.
Good feel and weight on the handle, a classic design.
No hairs lost as yet, and I expected it to shed a hair or two during it's wash and first shave, but it came through with flying colors.

I really think this needs to be recommended with more regularity as a beginner's brush.
Actually, I think this needs to be recommended more to everyone; oldtimers, collectors, newbies, everyone.
It's a fantastic brush.
Best brush IMO for the price. Still use the tweezerman for hard soaps Delong too floppy. Really cant understand why everyone recommends C&E Best as a starter budger brush when this is available.
Crosbie

Best brush IMO for the price. Still use the tweezerman for hard soaps Delong too floppy. Really cant understand why everyone recommends C&E Best as a starter budger brush when this is available.
Crosbie

A lot of the C&E recommendation and reason for purchase is that they are available locally in most city malls. Many people want to touch it first.

A lot of the C&E recommendation and reason for purchase is that they are available locally in most city malls. Many people want to touch it first.

Feel the soft, soft, badger!!! :lol::lol::lol: It makes us happy!!! :jump:

What animal is a bristle anyhoo? :detective:

smithno, I suspect you are exactly right. And that is more true for newbies than for those with brushes already who might be more willing to take the chance. Peace, and happy weekend!!!

I cant find one of these brushes you speak of.....

On a different note, I ordered a Silvertip knot from GoldenNib for an extra handle i have laying around :D

I'd post a pic, but I don't have a digital camera at the moment.

You can see a great photo of this brush in the Reviews section under Shaving Brushes. Just choose the letter D and there it is. That is the brush I own.
I found it by going into ebay and typing "silvertip shaving brush" in the search. There's usually multiple postings from virtualvillage, with a pic of the bristles up and leaning toward the right of the viewer.

As of right now there are none in ebay.

I have one of these and it performs really well. Id recommend it to someone looking for a beginner brush.

I'm on my second Delong brush, and I only bought a second silvertip because my wife wanted one to replace her synthetic brush I handed over. These are great and I can buy them locally.

Crosbie

This should help you build your understanding... The C&E $35 Best Badge Brush has been around for years and provided excellent service to many, many gentlemen for years. If that is not enough, another gentleman provided yet another excellent reason, i.e. you can touch it and see it before you buy it. Oh, and BTW, the C&E BBB is not too floppy to use with milled soaps..:wink2:

Top Bottom