What's new

Cheesecake

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Who doesn't like cheesecake? What's the best you've tasted, and what are your favorite recipes/tricks/secrets?

I had a friend who went to Pratt Institute of Art in NY, and one of the times I went down to visit him he took me to a place called Junior's. I had never been before, and I've not yet returned, but damn was it a good cheesecake.

Can't wait to see some of the recipes that get posted, I've been wanting to try to make one for a while but never got around to it.

Now you are talking. Here is the recipe we use.

Cookie crust: this is made first, baked, then let cool

Cream together ½ cup unsalted butter (Land O Lakes or Challenge), ¼ cup sugar, beat until fluffy, beat in 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (no white), ½ teaspoon vanilla, gradually add 1 cup white flour. This needs to look like pastry dough. Evenly pat 1/3 of the dough mixture onto the bottom of a 9” springform pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Bake piece of crust until it turns a light brown, 8-10 minutes. To cool, place on wire rack. Let cool completely. Attach sides to bottom, clip it shut. Spread the remaining dough alongside the pan, patting it evenly and making sure to “seal it” to the already existing crust. Put the pan in the refrigerator.

Cheesecake filling:

Beat four egg whites until they stand alone and peak. Add 1 cup of sugar, beat-add 3 8oz packages of Philadelphia cream cheese (cut-up and room temperature). Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes. Start doing sour cream mixture…

2 cups of sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, ¼ teaspoon vanilla.
When 30 minutes is up, immediately spoon the sour cream mixture evenly on to of the cheesecake layer (carefully!). Return the cake to the oven, raising the temperature to 475 degrees, for 5 minutes. Remove and completely cool on a cooling rack for several hours.

Junior's Junior's Junior's, is a Brooklyn Institution. Living in New York City often places become popular and famous for many reasons. Most times as in other cities these places never seem to live up to the hype. However this is an exception. I have had cheesecake all over and time and time again find Junior's to be in a class by itself. Not cheap but a little goes a long way (just like a good shaving cream), each slice is very rich and filling. I often go the the flagship original in Brooklyn, just to get my fill. When I visit friends they love when I arrive with the Junior's Classic Orange Stripe Box and know instantly whats inside. I know you can order on line however I don't know if they taste differently, check out their website http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

If you are near one of the New York stores, it the last few years they have opened up in Grand Central Terminal and Times Square. You must try the Carrot Cheesecake, I get one every year for Thanksgiving, and by the time I get it home my shoulder hurts because its so heavy.

Enjoy,
Hey also Cheese is protein. Hahaha:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Hi All,
I'd recommend a book called "Joy of Cheesecake" for some good recipes and helpful tips. Lots of different versions of cheesecakes, including one that is quite unique. This is the "Bare Bottom" cheesecake listed in the book, and yep......no crust at all is used. This version has an almost a chiffon like texture.........very light, and it kinda melts in your mouth with no effort. It's not the most beautiful one as it tends to crack easily, but the taste is wonderful.
It's the only cheesecake I've ever tried that is similar to a famous (long gone) Chicago Deli's take on cheesecake. No crust on that one either, and light, but still with a lot of flavor. Hehe, they also made a strawberry topped one that was amazing. Whew.........
Hope that helps,
Martin

Here in Buffalo we have a famous public market called "THE BROADWAY MARKET".The EM Bakery there has the best cherry cheesecake imaginable..........it is fantastic!

Bailey's is, of course, a fine addition to a cheesecake recipe. Mix the Bailey's half and half with Jameson's for Master's credits.

The one I myself make for events, etc. is a Chocolate and Pumpkin swirl with Kahlua.

My girlfriend's mom makes a Baily's cheesecake with nearly half a bottle of Baily's in it. Better than anything I've had at a restraunt or store.

One of my favorite restaurants here is a place called Joey D's Oak Room. They have cheesecake shipped from the Carnegie Deli in NYC, and that stuff is pretty doggone good. My favorite meal there is an order of the oyster shooters, the garlic NY strip w/ a side of creamed spinach, finishing with a slice of that cheesecake.

Being a diabetic, my options are limited. I've always enjoyed the low-carb cheesecake offered at the Cheesecake Factory - maybe it has been too long since I had sugary anything, but I can't tell the difference, and my wife likes it too, as she thinks the real stuff is just too rich.

Additionally, I love the low carb cheesecake my wife makes for me! Any diabetics out there want the recipe, PM me.

I think that Cheesecake is a lot like pizza.... even if its a bad cheesecake, it's still pretty damn good.

That being said, I've always had great luck with Alton Brown's cheesecake recipe. It doesn't seem that different from many other recipes, but always seems to turn out better. Also, I think that his one piece pan helps out in the process. As far as I'm concerned, no more springform pans for me!

There's nothing like a good thick heavy New York style Cheesecake.
I do have a reciept for a Pumpkin Cheesecake that is a really fine treat in it's own right.
If anyone would like it, let me know and I'll post it.

I love just regular cheesecake. I don't know any recipes or secrets, but the pizza joint around the corner from me has THE BEST I've ever had. Better than Cheesecake Factory, better than all that other stuff. The crust is like brown sugar and the cake itself is just velvety smooth. I actually had a piece tonight with my pie. I'm pretty sure they don't make it there. Maybe one day I'll find out where they get it from. Anyone in South FL want to know which place I'm talking about? Too bad :w00t:

Cheesecake is my favorite dessert...and to answer which is my favorite would be too difficult...because i have not found one a cheesecake i didnt like...its a gift from the angels :tongue_sm

Got to be baked. Lot of set cheesecake here in the UK. It's just wrong. A fake, homogenous, jelly like topping. Proper cheesecake, like my grandma used to make, should be slightly crumbly.

I like mine quite plain and simple (hint of lemon in the cheese is as wild as I get), maybe some strawberries (English) on the side when it is summer.

Top Bottom