What's new

Cheesecake

I had a friend who went to Pratt Institute of Art in NY, and one of the times I went down to visit him he took me to a place called Junior's. I had never been before, and I've not yet returned, but damn was it a good cheesecake.

Can't wait to see some of the recipes that get posted, I've been wanting to try to make one for a while but never got around to it.

Juniors sells cheesecakes online. They are very good.

I don't know how I forgot about it, but I just remembered that I have a recipe for cheesecake that has a portion of the cream cheese replaced with marscapone, and it is baked in a crockpot.....

I'll have to see if I can find it today. Maybe I'll bake one tonight

That being said, I've always had great luck with Alton Brown's cheesecake recipe. It doesn't seem that different from many other recipes, but always seems to turn out better.

I, too, have had good luck with AB's cheesecake recipe. I especially love the part about stopping the oven early and letting it coast to a stop, which has always produced for me a perfectly textured cheesecake.

I have had some opportunities to mess with the recipe a bit, also, and have found variations including swirling in pumpkin pie mix, covering with apple slices, and adding things like Kahlua have always been well-received by friends. Personally, I just love a well-made plain cheesecake.

Dr. Mike....are you Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic? I'm Type 1, and use the insulin pump, which works pretty well for me.

Type 2. I started out on insulin, but have managed to get off of it, and am now controlling it with pills, diet, and exercise. Actually, with the new diet I'm on, it looks like I am going to be able to completely cut out on of my meds.

I used to make a savory Ricotta Cheesecake. Very different and worth a try.

Everybody know the trick of using dental floss to cut the cake??

I've decided to give one of the recipes in this thread a shot today. Once I've decided which one, I'll post about my first foray into homemade cheesecakedom.

Can I get a collective finger crossing, guys? :biggrin:

I ended up going with Bob's recipe, but in the end took a few liberties (opted out of the sour cream topping for now and also went with a store bought crust).

Less than 10 minutes and I'll be pulling it out of the oven. In addition, I'm making a simple strawberry topping that is simmering on the stovetop as I type. It's just something I quickly brainstormed and crossed my fingers hoping it'll turn out ok. Some quartered strawberries tossed into a little simple syrup that will simmer for don't know how long, let cool, and top the cheesecake with. Finally, I nixed the Redi-Whip and bought a pint of heavy whipping cream.

Update:

for the size and shape of crust that I used, I may have overfilled just a tad...it rose above the crust a good 1/2 inch or so, but other than that, it looks pretty damn good! Now it's just a waiting game consisting of a few formalities such letting it cool and eating dinner. :wink:

Top Bottom