What's new

Franklin Barbecue Book

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Since Aaron made this PIF here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/458787-**Closed-PIF-BBQ-Cookbook-PIF-Closed**

I started looking at the book at my local bookshop during lunch time. While I would not qualify this as a cookbook but more of a "how-to" book, it is a very valuable resource. I bought one and received it yesterday by mail.

It is well explained with a lot of pictures on how to cut a piece of meat. There are also basic recipes for rubs and sauces but this book mainly explain this is how you make the fire, how you pick a piece of meat, how you prepare it, do a rub, smoke it. This is the temperature that you are looking for, and then, eat it!

The details go for several pages and you get the classics, brisket, ribs, turkey, etc. While I do not have a smoker at home, I can easily arrange my Weber to be used as a smoker.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get serious into smoking their meat. I still have a bit of brisket and my office smells like brisket now!

I also have Franklin's book, and it's a technical and very fascinating insight into the way a modern BBQ master goes about his business.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for the thread and the review LUC. I have already used some of his techniques and have seen an improvement in my BBQ. His claim to fame is his brisket, so I've concentrated a little bit more on that section along with watching his videos. I've had the luck to taste his brisket and can say it's the best I've had.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
God Blessed Texas.

I am thinking seriously of heading to Lockhart to get a little morning BBQ and then driving over to the Salt Lick for lunch and maybe ending my weekend at the Saltgrass for dinner. Lockhart, Austin (the outskirts), and San Antonio. Now that's my idea of a short vacation. And maybe the Fogo De Chao just for giggles.

Luc

Staff member
I think it's the first time that I buy a book like this where those are more instructions on a how-to than a cookbook. I mean, I am sold on Steven Raichlen when it comes to the BBQ but this one is different. I think that I can take it a step up (again) with this book. Only time will tell and look for that tiny smoke line up North!

I buy my bags of coal at Costco, they are 8kg bags. I'm on bag #5 at the moment. My little Weber is really worth it's money! I've noticed the show (Franklin's Barbecue) on PBS a few weeks ago but the PIF really pushed me to go look for the book. I intend to use it quite a bit this summer (well, what we call summer).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
God Blessed Texas.

I am thinking seriously of heading to Lockhart to get a little morning BBQ and then driving over to the Salt Lick for lunch and maybe ending my weekend at the Saltgrass for dinner. Lockhart, Austin (the outskirts), and San Antonio. Now that's my idea of a short vacation. And maybe the Fogo De Chao just for giggles.

Not without me you're not.

I think it's the first time that I buy a book like this where those are more instructions on a how-to than a cookbook. I mean, I am sold on Steven Raichlen when it comes to the BBQ but this one is different. I think that I can take it a step up (again) with this book. Only time will tell and look for that tiny smoke line up North!

I buy my bags of coal at Costco, they are 8kg bags. I'm on bag #5 at the moment. My little Weber is really worth it's money! I've noticed the show (Franklin's Barbecue) on PBS a few weeks ago but the PIF really pushed me to go look for the book. I intend to use it quite a bit this summer (well, what we call summer).

One thing I used from the book that really helped was using just salt and pepper. I went and bought a box of coarse Morton's kosher salt. It's the perfect size. Pepper is more difficult. I can't find that in a medium grind like his. I believe he uses 16 mesh ground black pepper. So, I just ground it up in my spice grinder. I can buy it on line but I don't want to. Anyway, just that and his technique of apply with the shaker (from video) has made a big difference.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
One thing I used from the book that really helped was using just salt and pepper. I went and bought a box of coarse Morton's kosher salt. It's the perfect size. Pepper is more difficult. I can't find that in a medium grind like his. I believe he uses 16 mesh ground black pepper. So, I just ground it up in my spice grinder. I can buy it on line but I don't want to. Anyway, just that and his technique of apply with the shaker (from video) has made a big difference.
Except for pork ribs all I ever use on my BBQ is fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Especially a beautifully marbled steak. Brisket is the same for me but I cook them fat side up and low and slow. Usually on the pit by 1900 and off at 0500. Then placed on a mesquite cutting board to cool for an hour or so.
My father taught me this and his brisket is out of this world.
Most importantly: ALWAYS CUT AGAINST THE GRAIN!!!! Brisket and fajita.
ALWAYS CUT AGAINST THE GRAIN!!!!

Good luck with ya'lls!!

Luc

Staff member
Not without me you're not.

I will have a look to get one of those giant dispenser like him!

Luc

Staff member
Got the gear! I reused a big plastic salt jar that I bought at Costco. I pre-mixed my salt-pepper-paprika in there. It's now very quick to get the seasoning in there.

The shaker or the pepper or both?

The shaker! I figured I could pick one up anywhere but haven't found one yet. Maybe I need to go to (shudder) bed bath and beyond.
I'll bet Amazon's got one.

For pepper, I bought coarse ground (salad ground maybe?) right at the grocer. Trying to remember the brand, think it was Cain's. I've been happy with it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The shaker! I figured I could pick one up anywhere but haven't found one yet. Maybe I need to go to (shudder) bed bath and beyond.
I'll bet Amazon's got one.

For pepper, I bought coarse ground (salad ground maybe?) right at the grocer. Trying to remember the brand, think it was Cain's. I've been happy with it.

I found the the shaker with a lid on the interwebs, but now I can't find it again. I think SAMs or Costco may have the big shakers full of spices of some sort. I'm not interested in the spices in the large shaker., just the shaker. It would be worth it even if it was 10 or 12 dollars.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I found the the shaker with a lid on the interwebs, but now I can't find it again. I think SAMs or Costco may have the big shakers full of spices of some sort. I'm not interested in the spices in the large shaker., just the shaker. It would be worth it even if it was 10 or 12 dollars.

Make your own? All you need is a jar with a plastic lid and a drill. Just make sure you clean up the holes after.

Top Bottom