What's new

How important is a brush really?

I'm sure this is probably a stupid question, but just how important is a brush to a good shave? I've been wet shaving with a DE (Parker 96R, Lord platinum blades) for a week now using edge foam in a can.... How much of a difference will I likely see if I switch from hand foaming to a brush, and then to a higher end soap/cream?

No stupid questions here.

Without a brush, you aren't truly 'wet' shaving as water isn't really part of the equation. I think you will find a brush and quality soap or cream will provide a better, more comfortable shave because of the slickness they provide. From my understanding, propellent foams have stuff in them that are not good for the skin or shave.

Without a brush, you aren't truly 'wet' shaving as water isn't really part of the equation. I think you will find a brush and quality soap or cream will provide a better, more comfortable shave because of the slickness they provide. From my understanding, propellent foams have stuff in them that are not good for the skin or shave.
+1

Fair enough! Any suggestions on a good entry level brush that won't break the bank or tick off SWMBO?

Fair enough! Any suggestions on a good entry level brush that won't break the bank or tick off SWMBO?

Checked out Whipped Dog. Larry is a member here, and makes great brushes with boar, badger, and synthetic knots. He offers quick turn-around and great customer service. You can even email him before the sale and get his opinion on the type of brush that might work well for you.

A lot of articles I read when I was first looking into DE shaving said that scrubbing with a brush helps to "stand up" the hairs for better shaving, but I don't know about that... It has also been said that the scrub of the brush helps (gently) free up ingrown hairs, which I do find to be true.

There are also a lot of great products out there that require a brush to make lather, so there's that!

Using a shaving brush has many advantages. By using a soap or cream with a brush you add water or hydration to your lather - something missing from a can. The lather you get is far richer or slicker. Also, a shaving brush raises the whiskers on your face making it easier to shave them off.

I used to shave with Barbasol, which works well when you add a bit of water to it. I only got a brush because it was easier for me to re-lather that way. Brushes do not work well with canned foams, so I bought some soaps and creams, which I discovered can give way better lathers than canned foams do.

Having said that, sometimes you gotta shave n' run, and if canned stuff helps you cut down on time when you are in a rush, keep some around just in case. I still keep my Barbasol on hand in case one of those days happen, but thankfully none have yet. :001_rolle

+1
I find the lather I get from a brush and soap/cream to be way better than canned stuff. On the plus side, face lathering sets me in a zen mood.
If you want to give it a shot without breaking the bank, try an Omega boar brush (they cost ~10 $ and they're excellent) and a proraso green soap or an arko stick (also excellent and foolproof).

Well and concisely said.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Making lather and applying it to my face with a brush, is for me, one of the more enjoyable parts of the shave.

Since it is your shave, it is no more or less important than you consider it to be.
Use of a brush is simply another variable in how far, or not-so-far, one would want to go toward classic shaving.
Before 18-wheeled motor transportation as we know it today, things were harder to haul. Shaving soap was the norm, since it had a compact form factor and the lather could be raised at the point of use. A brush was something bought once and it would last a lifetime. With a wet brush, foamy lather could be raised in two minutes. Creams became a more common luxury as early transportation improvements allowed more wet goods to be shipped. Eventually, early canned products such as Barbasol promoted the convenience of brushless shaving, the relatively high volume of canned product being a non-issue by that time.
Some people just happen to like returning to the practice of raising one's own lather. Others have been turned off by canned products' use of propellants. In some opinions. the brush helps raise up the whiskers for a good cut, whereas finger-painted canned goo just makes the whiskers lay in the direction of application. Some just like the feeling of the brush on the face. Regardless, either its something you prefer, or it is not. Whatever way you choose, enjoy.

I personally would not enjoy the experience without a brush, I have a Semogue 1305 in my rotation that is very, very inexpensive but provides me with a good experience.

How much of a difference will I likely see if I switch from hand foaming to a brush, and then to a higher end soap/cream?
You really just have to try and see. For me it was a significant difference. YMMV. Keep in mind that brushes and soaps are not all the same so results will also vary depending on those variables and your proficiency with each of them.

With canned stuff you're just getting one type of lather and have little control over the qualities of that lather. If you're building your own lather with a a brush and cream/soap you can tailor your lather to what works best for your razor, skin, water, etc. Granted, there's a steeper learning curve than with the canned stuff but there are always such tradeoffs with ease of use versus control.

Definitely read the brush buying advice sticky in the brush subforum, give as much info as possible and provide a number or a range. What does or does not "break the bank" can vary quite a bit from person to person.

Last edited:
I use a brush with lathers and creams and I also shave a lot with canned stuff. I've never found my shaves to be superior in closeness or comfort when using a brush as opposed to not using one. Most of the time when I whip up a lather with a brush I still just put the lather on my face with my hands because I like doing so. I still like making lather with a brush, so I don't totally discount the things. I consider my brush my least-necessary piece of shaving gear.

I wondered the same thing at first, but it becomes very enjoyable, and all part of the wet shave experience. I've heard great things about Satin Tip - The Purest - Luxury Synthetic Shaving Brush ($15). They're available at straightrazor.com. Mine is on the way :)

Top Bottom