What's new

Pocket Knife For a Gift

I believe, but maybe someone else could verify this or not, that it is not good to give a knife because it cuts off your friendship. However, if your friend gives you a coin in return, then you are not giving away the knife but selling it.

The tradition is part of several seemingly independent cultures. China, countries in South America and in the middle east have such traditions. My family and friends are all into pocket knives in varying degrees of enthusiasm and we all do the coin trade. It is as simple as handing over a nickel or whatever is in your pocket at the time of getting the knife. It's just a fun tradition. The common explanation, as mentioned above is that a knife can cut a friendship if gifted, so to give a coin in its place essentially "buys" the knife.

The tradition is part of several seemingly independent cultures. China, countries in South America and in the middle east have such traditions. My family and friends are all into pocket knives in varying degrees of enthusiasm and we all do the coin trade. It is as simple as handing over a nickel or whatever is in your pocket at the time of getting the knife. It's just a fun tradition. The common explanation, as mentioned above is that a knife can cut a friendship if gifted, so to give a coin in its place essentially "buys" the knife.

I believe, but maybe someone else could verify this or not, that it is not good to give a knife because it cuts off your friendship. However, if your friend gives you a coin in return, then you are not giving away the knife but selling it.
Yup this is what is my understanding of it as well. I do the coin thing too.

Cool to learn it's not just an Chinese tradition.

That's pretty fascinating. I'd never heard of that before. But I like it. Except I usually have no money in my pockets... so please don't gift me any knives. :)

Unless you want too...

$maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I ordered six knives from Kissing Crane. They are the Black Angus model, and I gave them to my 3 nephews , and I still have 2. They cost only about 8 dollars a piece, but I like them. To me a knife gets lost easily, so an expensive knife isn't all that smart.

Is this poor taste to give an inexpensive knife?

I'll be darn. That's Big Foot up there playing a guitar!

Top Bottom