What's new

I need help with a very odd question.

Firstly, I'm not seeking any medical advice, but simply your thoughts and or if you've taken it and felt any side effects.

I went to the doctor and ended up having a ear infection, they gave me azithromycine. Now, I never taken this stuff before, but I've read in various places that it makes people get...Sick... Odd thing, unlike most people, I have a very very big irrational fear to vomiting, not sure why, but it's a fear of mine and I avoid it like the plague.

Has anyone taken this antibiotic for any reason? I don't need to know WHY. But how it made you feel. On other forums there is people complaining about getting sick, a few friends say they don't get sick...I have a fear of getting sick, and I don't want to get sick. I will avoid taking this just to avoid getting sick.

Do you think and antiemetic would help curb the nausea/sickness that comes with it?

Trust me I understand your "irrational" fear. With that said. I would suggest you talk to a pharmacist. They often have better info regarding the HOW to take medication and will also know of alternatives, interactions, etc. Good luck!

I have no experience with this antibiotic.You must have an infection that needs to be killed,so I would start taking it,with water,after a meal,unless instructed otherwise by your MD.There are plenty of antibiotics,if this one irritates your stomach call your doctor and have him switch you to another type.Tetracycline and doxycycline give me headaches and stomach distress,so I will not take those.Give it a try,you'll be ok...

I have no experience with this antibiotic.You must have an infection that needs to be killed,so I would start taking it,with water,after a meal,unless instructed otherwise by your MD.There are plenty of antibiotics,if this one irritates your stomach call your doctor and have him switch you to another type.Tetracycline and doxycycline give me headaches and stomach distress,so I will not take those.Give it a try,you'll be ok...
+1

I have taken it on numerous occasions, I get sent to remote regions of the world for a living. They will give us azithromycin or "Z-Packs" sometimes when we return from deployment. I have never had any reaction nor has any of my troops. I have taken it for ear infections as well. I say take it. if anything cut it in half and take it to see how your stomach reacts to it.

^^^^^
that is only my personal opinion and observation. If your sick though you should take it. if your still worried about it take it when you know your going to be very busy so you wont think about it. I think if you take it and have time to over think what it is doing to you, you will make yourself sick just thinking about it.

I'll call a pharmacist tomorrow and see if dramamine helps, they gave me a huge 4 pill dosage, like damn. I guess I'll sedate my self with a few pills of dramamine to avoid feeling nauseous and drink some yogurt drink to get some good bacteria in there.

I'm cool with nausea, it's the puking I absolutely want to avoid. Everytime I'm about to ya know...I get very shaky and I nearly black out. :/

I believe that's what's called Zpac. You take 2 pills the first day then 1 pill a day for 5 more days I think. I've taken it several times with no problem. I like it. If it's what I think it is it's in the erythromycin family. I'm not allergic to erythromycin but I have an intolerance to it. It feels like it's burning a hole in my stomach. If this ever happens to you for some reason drinking milk stops the burn for allot of people and works for me.I had a deathly reaction to penicillin when I was 5 or6 that almost killed me. I completely stoped breathing. I usually get Keflex which is a MAJOR pain in the *** because you have to take it 4 times a day for 10 days. It stinks to high heaven and when you burp you can taste it. It also makes other bodily functions...reek if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I believe that's what's called Zpac. You take 2 pills the first day then 1 pill a day for 5 more days I think. I've taken it several times with no problem. I like it. If it's what I think it is it's in the erythromycin family. I'm not allergic to erythromycin but I have an intolerance to it. It feels like it's burning a hole in my stomach. If this ever happens to you for some reason drinking milk stops the burn for allot of people and works for me.I had a deathly reaction to penicillin when I was 5 or6 that almost killed me. I completely stoped breathing. I usually get Keflex which is a MAJOR pain in the *** because you have to take it 4 times a day for 10 days. It stinks to high heaven and when you burp you can taste it. It also makes other bodily functions...reek if you mean.

Haha, okay, this is a little different to Z-pack, it's a one time thing, take 1 gram and there you have it.
I hear Z-pack makes you a bit more sick over all than a one time thing of azithro.

P.S who the heck comes up with these ridiculous names?!

With any antibiotic prescription, you might want to consider adding the probiotic lactobacillus acidophillus so that the gut flora is maintained and does not upset the stomach and digestion. Consult your physician.

With any antibiotic prescription, you might want to consider adding the probiotic lactobacillus acidophillus so that the gut flora is maintained and does not upset the stomach and digestion. Consult your physician.
+1. The antibiotic destroys a lot of the good flora in your digestive tract. Yogurt and Kefir are good options. Check with your doctor. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on B&B.

Will do, I hear that's what makes people spew anyways, it kills everything in the stomach, therefore there is nothing to digest the food, and the stomach being a muscle pretty much, pushes it out the easiest direction that it can with a solid food....Up...I'll have to get some yakult, it taste good and has a bunch of probiotics in it.

I think you'd just end up with a regular biotic. You'd be back to square one.

How does that logic apply? lol, anti-biotics don't just kill whatever biotic they can find for whatever reason, they kill of the infectious biotic or infection...I guess they are just called anti-biotic because they kill biotics...Taking probiotics just replaces the GOOD biotics(i.e the ones that are resistant to getting infected) .I swear a doctor would be shaking their head violently if they were reading this. -.-

Medical advice? I'm a firm believer in amputation.

HAHA, in all seriousness though, I called the pharmacist at rite-aid and they told me to just take a dose of dramamine and eat something before popping the pills and I'll be fine.

If I throw up, chances are I'll faint, so someone have 9-11 on speed dial :p

How does that logic apply?

I think it's just a simple question of algebra.

Seriously, though - I'd ask your doc or a nurse about your concerns. They should be able to clarify a few things. Personally, when I have to take an antibiotic, I try to add some yogurt to my diet to replenish beneficial "flora" living in the gut. A couple of other folks suggested the same. Your metabolism may vary (YMMV).

Top Bottom