What's new

SE caught my eye.

Got the blades in today. First shave tomorrow morning :w00t:View attachment 588984
I would hold fire shaving with these, they are labelled as Industrial { any serial numbers } Check out your source,and liase with other US Shavers.
Suggest you get small pack from one of US Pharmacy Chains.
CORRECTION
It would appear that they may be OK if info on previous post is OK, Article re razor blades & More, shows serial numbers of Blade Packs which are Ok For Shaving.

Last edited:
I would trust spidey9 (Bob) I haven't been hanging around this section long, but his info always seems spot on. And judging from the recent picks of his collection he has been around the block a time or two.

Enjoy your shave.:001_smile

"He's alive! He's ALIVE!!

And looking even better than Frankenstine :thumbup1:

The shave actually was better, much better than I had hoped. It's a different experience and I enjoyed it. I don't know if it felt as "smooth/comfortable" during the shave as the DE but the outcome was the same and even slightly better: meaning closer and consistant. The 'ole face isn't any worse for the wear.

Looking forward to day two. Today was the Feather Weight. I think tomorrow will go with the Ever-Ready.

Also, thanks so much for all the responses. It means a lot to know that people take the time and thought to help out. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

That's fantastic....Glad to hear you like the Featherweight ....They don't get as much air time as they should as they are excellent shavers...As Bob Suggested earlier it might be good idea to use the same blade in your Ever Ready 1912 .....A new blade in 1912 can be wee bit ruff....:w00t:

Enjoy....:001_cool:

Billy

I would trust spidey9 (Bob) I haven't been hanging around this section long, but his info always seems spot on. And judging from the recent picks of his collection he has been around the block a time or two.

Enjoy your shave.:001_smile

Thanks for the kind words and the vote of confidence. I learned (and continue to learn) a great deal from this and similar forums when I was starting out and am always happy when I can help someone else.

I actually only discovered SE razors a bit over a year ago, but when something catches my interest I tend to jump in with both feet.

My wife uses the word "obsession" a lot. :001_rolle

Although she loves the fact that I'm now more than willing to go antiquing with her. :thumbup1:

--Bob

"He's alive! He's ALIVE!!

And looking even better than Frankenstine :thumbup1:

The shave actually was better, much better than I had hoped. It's a different experience and I enjoyed it. I don't know if it felt as "smooth/comfortable" during the shave as the DE but the outcome was the same and even slightly better: meaning closer and consistant. The 'ole face isn't any worse for the wear.

Looking forward to day two. Today was the Feather Weight. I think tomorrow will go with the Ever-Ready.

Also, thanks so much for all the responses. It means a lot to know that people take the time and thought to help out. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

Fantastic! Glad to hear that it went well. Keep in mind that there is a learning curve - in other words, it's going to get even better as you gain experience.

Just pop that same blade into the ER if you decide to use it tomorrow. I typically get upwards of a dozen shaves from a stainless SE blade, but of course YMMV.

--Bob

That's fantastic....Glad to hear you like the Featherweight ....They don't get as much air time as they should as they are excellent shavers...As Bob Suggested earlier it might be good idea to use the same blade in your Ever Ready 1912 .....A new blade in 1912 can be wee bit ruff....:w00t:Enjoy....:001_cool:Billy

I will use the same blade in the EReady. I did some hand stropping of the blade after the shave for tomorrow's shave. Didn't think of it until then. Do you think that will help the blade? I've done some reading on it and it seems folks are sold on the notion of it. Suppose it can't hurt?

when something catches my interest I tend to jump in with both feet--Bob

Me too Bob. Drives my poor wife crazy at times. Spent a lot of money only to see it all pass by. But, when I'm hooked, I'm hooked. :lol:

So, I'm really wanting to see this SE shaving through. I love the challenge of it along with the nostalgia aspect as well. I mean, how cool is it to shave with something 100 years old. The history alone is fantastic. Love it!

Me too Bob. Drives my poor wife crazy at times. Spent a lot of money only to see it all pass by. But, when I'm hooked, I'm hooked. :lol:

So, I'm really wanting to see this SE shaving through. I love the challenge of it along with the nostalgia aspect as well. I mean, how cool is it to shave with something 100 years old. The history alone is fantastic. Love it!

Uh-oh - you sound like me! :blink:

Here is what you can look forward to in a year or so: Your SE collection will be approaching 100 razors while your DE's sit in a box on a shelf collecting dust. :001_cool:

--Bob

Here is what you can look forward to in a year or so: Your SE collection will be approaching 100 razors--Bob

Bob, I told my wife about your 700 SE blades. Not sure I should mention the 100 razors. She will forbid me having anything to do with you :laugh:

With that said. How should I proceed with future acquisitions? I have the Feather Weight and the Brooklyn ER. What should I set my eye on next? :drool:

The possibilities are almost limitless. You could look at other 1912 variants - a Damaskeene or a Gem Junior. If you like your Featherweight you might consider the other later Gems - G-bar, Pushbutton Contour.

Gem Micromatics are popular and widely available. The Micromatic Open Comb was the first TTO, introduced a few years before Gillette.

If you like more aggressive razors take a look at the Ever-Ready 1914 or 1924.

If you are fascinated by really old razors, take a look at some lather catchers - but be ready to spend some $.

And I haven't mentioned the Auto-Strops, the Rolls, the Wilkinson . . .

Like I said. . .

--Bob

The possibilities are almost limitless. You could look at other 1912 variants - a Damaskeene or a Gem Junior. If you like your Featherweight you might consider the other later Gems - G-bar, Pushbutton Contour.

Gem Micromatics are popular and widely available. The Micromatic Open Comb was the first TTO, introduced a few years before Gillette.

If you like more aggressive razors take a look at the Ever-Ready 1914 or 1924.

If you are fascinated by really old razors, take a look at some lather catchers - but be ready to spend some $.

And I haven't mentioned the Auto-Strops, the Rolls, the Wilkinson . . .

Like I said. . .

--Bob

Thanks again Bob. I love having my own personal reference book to turn to :lol:

Day 2 with the SE experience:

Today was awesome! Trying to figure out why:

Yesterday: Feather Weight; new Gem SS coated blade; no experience at all; head of razor not flat on the face (too much of an angle?)

Today: Brooklyn EReady; hand stropped Gem SS coated blade (about 20 times per side); still really no experience; head of razor pretty much flat on my face (as compared to not so much the case yesterday).

So, today's shave was extremely close, absolutely no irritation, and no blood at all. And, perhaps the best shave experience even over my DEs. May be an over exaggeration, but none-the-less on par with my better DE shaves.

I just don't know how to interpret this data?

Bob???? Anyone????

Glad to hear you had a great shave. I love my ER 1912 more and more every time I use it . Your shave probably was better I know mine are. My poor Fatboy has seen very little use since I got my ER 1912.

My poor Fatboy has seen very little use since I got my ER 1912.

I know ... my fear is that all my DEs will start getting lonely due to lack of attention. :sleep12:

Do you have any more SEs? I'm thinking of getting another SE but don't know what to get or even why. Not sure of all the slight nuances.

I know ... my fear is that all my DEs will start getting lonely due to lack of attention. :sleep12:

Do you have any more SEs? I'm thinking of getting another SE but don't know what to get or even why. Not sure of all the slight nuances.

As Bob suggested the GEM Micromatic Family are great SEs ....I have all three of them and they are all fantastic shavers....The Bullet Tip is milder than the Featherweight in my experience.....The OCMM & Clog-Pruf are equally as aggressive but the later is easier to use and more forgiving due to its Bar/Guard Design....:w00t:

The Ever Ready 1914 & 1924 are also quite aggressive razors, but very smooth and efficient and there are a few of these on Flea -Bay at the moment for a good price....Schick Injectors are a great SE choice as well....They are plentiful and cheap...As a rule of thumb the earlier ones are the most aggressive and as you move through the timeline they tend to become milder.... :blink:

Happy Hunting....:001_cool:

Billy

Day 2 with the SE experience:

Today was awesome! Trying to figure out why:

<snip>
I just don't know how to interpret this data?

Bob???? Anyone????

Quite simple, you have a 1912 model razor, and they are absolutely one of the best razors out there! Congrats on the outstanding shave. Shaves 3-5 on a blade are going to be even better as it settles in. Gillette really pulled off a win when they got the govt contract in WW1 and the doughboys got introduced to DE rather than SE shaving, because the SE should have wiped the DE off the map (In my humble opinion).

No need for RAD, really. But you will anyway. Apologies to your wife on behalf of all of us. And let the blade hoarding begin!

As Bob suggested the GEM Micromatic Family are great SEs ....I have all three of them and they are all fantastic shavers....The Bullet Tip is milder than the Featherweight in my experience.....The OCMM & Clog-Pruf are equally as aggressive but the later is easier to use and more forgiving due to its Bar/Guard Design....:w00t:

The Ever Ready 1914 & 1924 are also quite aggressive razors, but very smooth and efficient and there are a few of these on Flea -Bay at the moment for a good price....Schick Injectors are a great SE choice as well....They are plentiful and cheap...As a rule of thumb the earlier ones are the most aggressive and as you move through the timeline they tend to become milder.... :blink:

Happy Hunting....:001_cool:

Billy

Yes, Bob is a huge help!

Being new to SE (I was assuming you are too?) I'm finding it great fun to read what others' experiences and preferences are. Sometimes new bits of information come out and it helps to clarify my disheveled thinking.

I've looked at every SE on eBay this morning. I'll go back and look at the Micromatics. Based on your experience so far, do you have any preference between an Micromatic and the Ever-Ready? If so, why?

I'll try to stop with the questions. It's hard though. Once I catch the sent I have to keep at it :detective:

Quite simple, you have a 1912 model razor, and they are absolutely one of the best razors out there! Congrats on the outstanding shave. Shaves 3-5 on a blade are going to be even better as it settles in. Gillette really pulled off a win when they got the govt contract in WW1 and the doughboys got introduced to DE rather than SE shaving, because the SE should have wiped the DE off the map (In my humble opinion).

No need for RAD, really. But you will anyway. Apologies to your wife on behalf of all of us. And let the blade hoarding begin!

:001_smile Thanks for the note. I appreciate the reassurance about the ER. I was thinking this morning while shaving: How can it get better than this? But, if it can (by means of another/better SE) I'm all for it and want it.

That's so interesting what you said about Gillette in WWI. I had no idea. And, at this point anyway, I agree with your assessment about SE's in relation to DE's. SE shaving seems like a whole other experience. I honestly could not believe the ease of shaving with the SE this morning and the outcome of the shave!

Could I sneak in a question? Do you strop your blade?

This is all very exciting!

Could I sneak in a question? Do you strop your blade?

This is all very exciting!

If you think it's exciting now, just wait until you answer the siren call of the Wilkinson Empire and start messing about with wedge blades. :001_smile

I do hand strop my blades, yes. I find it does help a bit on a well used blade, if it's starting to deteriorate.

Top Bottom