What's new

SE caught my eye.

There are some exceptions, but more often Ever-Ready are British and GEM American. mine are both American, but I still like the "Brooklin" head style Star more. The Brooklin head is wider.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Are Ever-Ready ones British? How can one tell if it is Brit or American? Don't know if these are the same questions.

If you're buying on US eBay most of the Ever-Ready 1912's you see will be American made. The British ones will usually be advertised as such, since they are not as common and seem to fetch a small premium. Not surprisingly they are much more common on UK eBay.

It was around 1933-1934 when ASR stopped producing Ever-Ready branded razors in their American plant.

American Ever-Ready 1912's have "Made in USA" stamped on the inside of the blade holder and British models have "Made in England" stamped on the back side of the lather catcher.

--Bob

Great information, Bob!
Didn't know that ASR stopped that early the Ever-Ready in the US. So the wider head is then even older?

Hi, Got the razor. I'm posting some pics. Could anyone give some information based on the writing on it. Inside the head it says: "EverReady Brooklyn, New York Made In USA"$EReadyBackWriting.jpg$EReadyFace.jpg$EReadyInsideWriting.jpg

Thank you.

The majority of Ever-Ready 1912's are the "Improved" model introduced by ASR in 1930, one of which is pictured below. Also aiding in the dating, the "NRA" marking on the box stands for "National Recovery Administration." This was one of FDR's New Deal programs that was introduced in 1933 and thrown out by the Supreme Court in 1935, indicating that this razor was likely made during that period.

$1912box.JPG

Note that there is no "Brooklyn, New York" on this one. The fact that yours has it, together with the flared ends on the comb, indicates that yours is a somewhat less common earlier model, probably circa 1925.

Most of the 1912's made at that time carried the Gem branding.

--Bob

Aye, I have a couple of English made 1912s and they are more than a tad more aggressive than the USA made editions....:w00t:

Billy

The majority of Ever-Ready 1912's are the "Improved" model introduced by ASR in 1930, one of which is pictured below. Also aiding in the dating, the "NRA" marking on the box stands for "National Recovery Administration." This was one of FDR's New Deal programs that was introduced in 1933 and thrown out by the Supreme Court in 1935, indicating that this razor was likely made during that period.

Note that there is no "Brooklyn, New York" on this one. The fact that yours has it, together with the flared ends on the comb, indicates that yours is a somewhat less common earlier model, probably circa 1925.

Most of the 1912's made at that time carried the Gem branding.

--Bob

Thank you so much for this great information Bob. The blades will be arriving today.

Will probably use the Feather Weight first? Or, should I go ahead and use the ER?

Just a tad nervous :blink::biggrin1:

If you're nervous, start with the Featherweight - it's a very mild-mannered forgiving little razor. Also, if you're using the Gem stainless steel blades they can be a bit harsh the first couple of shaves. This is less noticeable in the Featherweight.

Just use a shallow shaving angle (start with the cap almost flat against your face) and minimal pressure and you'll be fine. :thumbup1:

I sometimes use a Featherweight or Pushbutton (another mild razor) for a couple of shaves to "break in" a new stainless blade before putting it into something more aggressive.

--Bob

If you're nervous, start with the Featherweight - it's a very mild-mannered forgiving little razor. Also, if you're using the Gem stainless steel blades they can be a bit harsh the first couple of shaves. This is less noticeable in the Featherweight.

Just use a shallow shaving angle (start with the cap almost flat against your face) and minimal pressure and you'll be fine. :thumbup1:

I sometimes use a Featherweight or Pushbutton (another mild razor) for a couple of shaves to "break in" a new stainless blade before putting it into something more aggressive.

--Bob

Bob, thank you so much for all your input and encouragement. Tomorrow morning is the big day!

They say for industrial use only I would be scared. I would check your local drugstore otherwise tomorrows post may not be a good one.

:cursing::crying:

Those are exactly the blades you want - don't let the "For Industrial Use" scare you. They have been on a shelf for a while - that is the older style packaging - but that's okay because they're stainless.

I have over 700 of these blades (heard a rumor that ASR might be discontinuing them) and shaved with one this morning in a 1912.

But don't take my word for it. Razor Blades and More, a wetshaving supplier, sells these blades specifically for shaving:

https://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/100-gem-stainless-steel-coated-single-edge-blades

Enjoy your shave!

--Bob

Those are exactly the blades you want - don't let the "For Industrial Use" scare you. They have been on a shelf for a while - that is the older style packaging - but that's okay because they're stainless.

I have over 700 of these blades (heard a rumor that ASR might be discontinuing them) and shaved with one this morning in a 1912.

But don't take my word for it. Razor Blades and More, a wetshaving supplier, sells these blades specifically for shaving:

https://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/100-gem-stainless-steel-coated-single-edge-blades

Enjoy your shave!

--Bob

Thanks again Bob. In my quest to conquer my "fears" of shaving with the SE and an "industrial blade" I've over researched and over questioned. I'm just wanting to have some part of my face left when I get through :blushing: (don't want razor burn) :laugh:

Enjoy your shave!--Bob

I guess I better get buying some more. 700! To be honest, I have given thought to buying a bunch more (after I at least use one :001_smile)

Alright, sounds like you got the right blades. The packaging scared me I'm pretty new to the SE world myself but have picked up three in the last couple of weeks. I have been using the Gem SS blades from Walgreens. I started with a bullet tip for first shave and then went to an ER 1912 (mine doesn't say Brooklyn though, must be the "improved" one) I didn't find it to be to scary just had a couple very small weepers when going blind on the back of my head the first time. Since then it hasn't bitten me at all. I just tried my new Damaskeen for the first time today and found it to be even more mild. So far I haven't had any burn with an SE, but as always YMMV.

Don't be scared I think you will love it. :001_smile

There is just something about SE razors, have not used mine in along time since going to str8's but they are special
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom