What's new

What are Your Ideas on Wine Preservation?

I need some ideas on preserving wine that wasn't finished in one night. What are the best options, cost and how long will the wine keep it's quality.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The forever debated question.
Folks all have their own preferences, and they range from the cheapest method of transferring to a smaller bottle and storing in the fridge (a couple of days), to vacuum pumps which suck out the air for about 25 bucks (about 5 days), to inert gas injection for about 10 to 25 bucks a can (can be used on numerous bottles, and which is reported to keep wine fresher for at least a week), to machines that cost hundreds of dollars and involve not opening the bottle but inserting injection needles in that displace the wine with inert gas.

If your not a wine aficionado, and plan on finishing the bottle within a few days, just putting it back in the fridge or using a vacuum pump is probably fine.

Bear in mind that the better the quality of the wine, the more effect oxygen and heat exposure will have on the wine.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've always corked it and finished it off the next day. Opened bottles have never lasted longer than 2 days as I drink them within that time. So with me...I've never worried about preservation.

Good thread though!

I found a half-full bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry under the drivers seat of my VW Microbus. I am guessing it was a week old. I couldn't tell the difference.

In my experience it depends on the type of wine. A bottle of white will keep in the fridge for at least a week. A full bodied red like Cabernet will survive maybe 2 days just putting the cork back in and leaving it on the counter. The fridge will definitely add a couple days. Some lighter reds, like Pinot Noir will only stay good for a few hours after being opened before it starts to sour. So the answer is it kind of depends, but the fridge or one of those vacuum pump corks will definitely help add a few days to the life of your wine

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I believe this one was a Tuesday vintage from 1961.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The forever debated question.
Folks all have their own preferences, and they range from the cheapest method of transferring to a smaller bottle and storing in the fridge (a couple of days), to vacuum pumps which suck out the air for about 25 bucks (about 5 days), to inert gas injection for about 10 to 25 bucks a can (can be used on numerous bottles, and which is reported to keep wine fresher for at least a week), to machines that cost hundreds of dollars and involve not opening the bottle but inserting injection needles in that displace the wine with inert gas.

If your not a wine aficionado, and plan on finishing the bottle within a few days, just putting it back in the fridge or using a vacuum pump is probably fine.

Bear in mind that the better the quality of the wine, the more effect oxygen and heat exposure will have on the wine.

+1. Don't waste a ton of $. We use a vacuum pump. More than sufficient. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom