What's new

Pickled

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Been lurking and the food looks so good I had to try something so I got some picking spice, garlic and peppers then picked some red onions. I'll see how they are in a few days.:biggrin1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It looks as if the onion in the bottle on the right is screaming to get out.

The latest Bon Appetit magazine has a couple of pickling recipes. I thought this one sounded good.... Since they need to stay chilled, it's not a preserved (i.e., "canning") recipe that you can store in your cellar for a year or two.

Lemon-Chile Green Bean Pickles
1-1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed,
1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
4 chiles d'arbol (if desired)
4 smashed garlic cloves
1 batch Brine Formula (below), using red Chili Flakes for spice

Place beans, lemons, chiles and garlic into jars dividing evenly. Pour hot brine into jars. Let cool, then chill.

Green Beans can be pickled 2 months ahead. Keep chilled. Makes 2 quarts

Also works with cucumbers, fennel, okra, cauliflower...

Brine Formula
Bring 1 cup distilled white vinegar, 2 Tbsp. kosher salt, 2 tsp. sugar, up to 2 Tbsp. spices (e.g., Red Pepper Dlakes, peppercorns, coriander seeds, and/or mustard seeds), and 2 cups Water to a boil in a saucepan. Pour over vegetables in jars.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Pickled chipotle eggs.
My first go at making pickled eggs.

$20150802_151028.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
How much longer are you going to let them pickle Aaron? I'm going to try one next weekend.
My onions have been pickling for a week now. I think I may try one after 4 weeks in, just to see for myself the difference in the 4 to 6 week mark.

this is what I've done.
1 cup white wine vinegar (recipe asked for distilled vinegar but I had none so used this)
1 cup of water
2 cloves of garlic crushed ( was only 1 but I increased)
1/2 a onion cut in three
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 chipotle pepper from a can, the recipe I was going off had one for the size I was doing....... yeah right
1.5 teaspoons of the adobo sauce
6 hard boiled eggs.

I boiled the ingredients and simmered for about 15 minutes. Strained into jars with boiled eggs but added the chipotle peppers.

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It will be interesting to see one cut in half to see how much it has penetrated.

With mine being strained I don't think it will be too strong. If I'm wrong it's only 6 eggs.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I bet those pickled onions will be great on anything with English mustard, sausage and a spot of hot sauce.

...I've talked myself into hungry.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I like pickled onions with a cheese board, on my plate with a BBQ, with a salad and cold meats and last but not least as a cheese and pickle onion sandwich.
I grew up eating cheese and pickle onion sandwiches.

How about with a plowman's lunch, great on a summers day.

$ploughmans lunch.jpg

Last edited:
Pickled chipotle eggs.
My first go at making pickled eggs.

View attachment 590867

Saw your post this morning, and it inspired me to do some pickled eggs today. 8 eggs, one small onion, one tsp pickling spice, one tsp chili flakes, two homemade chipotles. Brine is half water, half vinegar, and 3% salt by weight.

Also had some baby carrots that needed to get used. I used Alton Brown's "Firecracker" recipe, but only used 1/3 of the sugar and added a quartered onion.

Pickled Eggs & Carrots by cxg231, on Flickr

I tasted the jalapeños from the jar today, after one week in the brine. The peppers (and brine) are certainly plenty spicy, and they still have good crunch to them. The brine has not yet fully developed the tangy, non-vinegary bite that I associate with a completely fermented pickle, so I'm going to leave them at room temperature for another week at least.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since the pickled eggs and red beets have been sitting in the fridge for a couple of weeks I cut one open to see how things are going.

I put the two mangled eggs from the peeling of them on top to be et first. The rest peeled just fine.

They have taken on a good color. I think I'll cut back just a bit on the cloves and sugar next time, as that is pretty dominant...but good. For those that like it a bit sweet instead of a little twang this would be a good recipe. The cinnamon was about right though. I'll see how they are in another couple of weeks.

Attachments

• $001.jpg
    $001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 49

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes they do look good Mike. I'm going to tuck into my eggs this weekend. I've never had pickled eggs so will are keen to try them.

This thread is making me regret the egg allergy I recently developed. Those pickled eggs you see sitting in the gas station always gross me out, but I'd be really interested to try it out for myself.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Beautiful Mike.

Thanks Aaron. Next time I think I'm gonna put some of the New Zealand Green hot sauce on one when I eat it.

Can I get a Hot Sauce Pepper Heads Club badge? :biggrin1:

Yes they do look good Mike. I'm going to tuck into my eggs this weekend. I've never had pickled eggs so will are keen to try them.

With the little bit of sugar you have in yours, and the chipotle pepper, it may be a little twangy. Sounds good though. I think I'll try a small jar of my own, using your recipe, and see how it turns out.

This thread is making me regret the egg allergy I recently developed. Those pickled eggs you see sitting in the gas station always gross me out, but I'd be really interested to try it out for myself.

Sorry for your recent allergy...that sucks big time.

The big jar they had on the counter at dive bars was a little suspicious to me, but I ate one once...and some pickled hot sausages.

I was younger then...so I recovered well. :lol:

Once you get a home recipe you like...hot, sweet, twangy...whatever...they are SOOOO much better than what you get at a bar or gas station.

Last edited:
Top Bottom