What's new

How "fine" are Fine after shaves?

I really enjoy Fine's American Blend; I had two backups, but my dad and my nephew pilf'd those from my shave den last Christmas.

I am about 2/3 through my current bottle and soon plan on getting another AB and a Fresh Vetiver

I've only tried his Fine American Blend, which I'd say is a really good aftershave.
Fairly heavy on the alcohol and witch hazel, but light on the soothing elements and fragrance oils.
Certainly, IMO, not great as Myrsol, Floid, Aqua Velva, Pinaud or Captains Choice league, but nevertheless more than acceptable.
Good value however.

proxy.php

Not a fan of their L'orange Noir. A bit too smoky/earthy for me.

Just to calibrate, I like CC North, Lime, BR and Sandalwood. Ogallala BR's. Speick and even Proraso Green.

Do you find that Fine makes some Fine after shaves?:lol:

I like Mr. Fine's aftershaves. I've tried the whole lot, other than Snake Bite. I presently own Platinum and Fresh Vetiver, and when these bottles are empty, I plan to order replacements. I love the scents, and surprisingly, I like the menthol hit as well.

The one place I feel these fall short in comparison to another popular aftershave line that has quite a following here on the forum is the skin care side. The high alcohol content leads to my face getting oily, so I've added a few drops of glycerin to each bottle. That fixed the oily problem, and also of course adds a little extra love for the skin. So, I use that other line in the winter, and these two in the summer. For me, personally, I don't think the Fine line works well as a winter aftershave, but obviously YM(and preferences)MV.

Do take another poster's recommendation of Maggard's samples of this product. That's how I was introduced to the line, and it was well worth the money to find out what I liked and didn't like.

I enjoy Fine Fresh Vetiver. Will reorder when the time comes. Considering American Blend in the future also.

I have everything except Clean Vetiver and I'll probably give that a try with my next order. Note that all of these have a very simple ingredient list: Alcohol, water, fragrance oil and menthol. Snakebite is just alcohol, water and menthol.

The menthol is light on all of them with the exception of Snakebite, which will make your eyes water and your nose run. It has more menthol than anything not named Cryogen.

If my skin is feeling dry I'll sometimes use these together with an unscented balm.

I can't really pick a favorite - I like them all a lot. I probably wear American Blend the most, since it seems to be my wife's favorite, followed closely by L'Orange Noir.

--Bob

I've been using the Platinum for a couple of weeks. I wasn't wild about the smell at first, but now I like it. I like the alcohol burn followed by the cool menthol. Kind of look forward to it.

I have American Blend, Fresh Vetiver, and Platinum. All excellent. AB is a nice scent but milder than I'd like. Platinum has a good burn. Good stuff. Doesn't replace other good ones, like Speik, DR Harris, and others, but good.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Fine brands are top notch. You may not like all of the offerings, but you are sure to find at least one that will always remain a permanent fixture in your den.

I too have tried them all with the sampler, my favorite is the platinum followed closely by the two vetiver and the American blend. They have the right combination of burn and menthol without being extreme.

I sampled Fine American Blend while at Merz / Q Brothers in Chicago. It is on the very short list for purchase after I use up some frags I already own.

You guys are lucky to be able to use these aftershaves. I can't use alcohol-based splashes without getting dry and red skin all over my face and neck.

I have two of the Fine ***. American Blend and L'Orange Noir. I love both of them as well as the wife and the ladiesat work. I will be buying both again as soon as I finish them...which won't be long because I wear them all the time.

I only have the Fine SnakeBite. I needed to add a small amount of glycerin to it. It only contained water, alcohol, and menthol. It needed a moisturizer. Now it's great.

Top Bottom