What's new

Casserole recipes.

Just bought my first real Dutch oven and I'm looking for some tasty recipes.
The only website I visit is amazingribs.com for BBQ.
I would greatly appreciate any website recommendations or your personal favorites.
I have a 5 1/2 quart, so I'm hoping it's big enough for most recipes.

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 125
I've made it several times, once for about 10 people at Christmas.

You can pretty much follow the recipe exactly. You may want to do a little planning ahead because not all grocery stores carry shanks. If you have a butcher or shop at a place like Whole Foods you shouldn't have a problem.

Any of the bold Trappist or Belgian ales really work well in this dish. Make sure you buy a second bottle to serve with the meal.

I obviously do the oven method since I'm using my Le Cruset pot. I also strain all of the stuff from the braising liquid before reducing it down for the sauce.

I'm not so sure I have pictures, but I'll check.

First attempt at the Grand Cru Braised Lamb Shank.
Please ignore my plating skills or lack there of.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 62
Great recipe ! It was a little rich for the wife, but I thought it was spot on.
The lamb didn't have that gamey taste that turns me off sometimes. A great dish for the holidays, every bite reminded me of Christmas.
The only downside was having to pour the whole bottle of Cru in the pot.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Great recipe ! It was a little rich for the wife, but I thought it was spot on.
The lamb didn't have that gamey taste that turns me off sometimes. A great dish for the holidays, every bite reminded me of Christmas.
The only downside was having to pour the whole bottle of Cru in the pot.

Ya have to save a little for drinking while cooking.

Make a good old fashioned pot roast! Buy a 4-5 lb. chuck roast (cheap compared to brisket, and tasty!) and cover with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and brown on all sides. Remove to platter, add a little oil and sweat down some aromatics (onions, carrots, leeks, celery, parsnips, etc.) then add some wine, beer, cider or what have you, and reduce by half. Add the browned chuck back to the pot, along with some stock and fresh herbs tied in a bundle with some bay leaves, slap the cover on and place into an oven preheated to 250°F (120°C) and bake for 4 hours, then check if tender (if not, return to oven and check every 15 minutes). Remove casserole pot to range top, remove meat to let cool a bit so you can slice it, and strain out the vegetables, discarding the herb bundle. Defat the liquid left in pot with a gravy separator or with a ladle and reduce until it thickens. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) of dijon mustard and stir. return sliced meat veg and and simmer until warmed through. Serve.

Glad to see you liked it! It is indeed a rich dish. Its perfect for the fall and christmas time. Did you do the parsnip puree, or or those some roasted veggies on the side?

Also, depeinding on how many shanks you are doing, and the size of your braising dish, you may not have to use the entire bottle. You just need enough liquid to cover about a quarter of the item being braised. Enough liquid so that it will not evaporate out through the entire cooking time, but enough so that there will be enough liquid to make a sauce with at the end. You can also sub some veggie stock in place of some of the beer. That will stretch the beer and help to make the flavors a little less rich too.

Glad to see you liked it! It is indeed a rich dish. Its perfect for the fall and christmas time. Did you do the parsnip puree, or or those some roasted veggies on the side?

Also, depeinding on how many shanks you are doing, and the size of your braising dish, you may not have to use the entire bottle. You just need enough liquid to cover about a quarter of the item being braised. Enough liquid so that it will not evaporate out through the entire cooking time, but enough so that there will be enough liquid to make a sauce with at the end. You can also sub some veggie stock in place of some of the beer. That will stretch the beer and help to make the flavors a little less rich too.

I used mashed potatoes and the rest was veggies. Yeah I probably didn't need to use the entire bottle of Cru, but being my first time I wanted to stick to the recipe as much as possible, next time I'm going to enjoy more of it first.
The lamb came out perfect, first time I've made lamb.
Btw, is there an easy way to remove the Coriander seeds when it's all cooked and I'm straining the veggies ?

Make a good old fashioned pot roast! Buy a 4-5 lb. chuck roast (cheap compared to brisket, and tasty!) and cover with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and brown on all sides. Remove to platter, add a little oil and sweat down some aromatics (onions, carrots, leeks, celery, parsnips, etc.) then add some wine, beer, cider or what have you, and reduce by half. Add the browned chuck back to the pot, along with some stock and fresh herbs tied in a bundle with some bay leaves, slap the cover on and place into an oven preheated to 250°F (120°C) and bake for 4 hours, then check if tender (if not, return to oven and check every 15 minutes). Remove casserole pot to range top, remove meat to let cool a bit so you can slice it, and strain out the vegetables, discarding the herb bundle. Defat the liquid left in pot with a gravy separator or with a ladle and reduce until it thickens. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) of dijon mustard and stir. return sliced meat veg and and simmer until warmed through. Serve.

Now that's not your ordinary pot roast ! It's on the list, thank you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I used mashed potatoes and the rest was veggies. Yeah I probably didn't need to use the entire bottle of Cru, but being my first time I wanted to stick to the recipe as much as possible, next time I'm going to enjoy more of it first.
The lamb came out perfect, first time I've made lamb.
Btw, is there an easy way to remove the Coriander seeds when it's all cooked and I'm straining the veggies ?

You could toast the seeds first in a skillet, then grind down to a fine consistency. No removal necessary.

This recipe calls for whole seeds in the braising liquid. I strain all of the liquid through one of these guys

proxy.php

It catches all of the dead veggies in the braise, and all of the whole spices this recipe calls for. I throw out all of the stuff I put in to flavor the braise. I think in this case its come onion, carrot, celery, leeks etc.

Top Bottom