What's new

Schick band razor

Saw this cased razor for a few bucks. I was like "Great an injector!"

$331461525365_1_1_1.jpg

Got it home and opened it and was like "Whaattt!" :facep:

It's a has a lever to advance a metal band instead of a blade. It reminds me of an old film camera. It looks brand new and I advanced the blade/band to 2.

What the heck is this thing?
Is it safe to shave with? I'm thinking this is like one giant opened blade.

Last edited:
What you have is a Schick Band Razor...:w00t:

The Band Razor was Schick's answer to the Gillette Techmatic which used a similar so called continuous razor stainless steel ribbon/strip of blades by turning the dial....Schick were quite clever here as I believe that the Gillette Techmatic could use Schick Cartridges, but the Schick Band razor could only use their own cartridges ....In other words Schick had created a market for their blades fitting both razors whilst keeping their own customer's buying their own cartridges...:001_rolle

That will not do you any good of course as you can only use Schick Cartridge's for you razor....You can buy NOS cartridges on EBay....The prices vary from being quite cheap due to a general lack of interest in them to being quite expensive because some sellers they are aiming their sales towards collectors....:blink:

I do not own one of these so I cannot comment on how they perform, but they seem to get mixed reviews.....Some people reckon that if they are used and loaded properly they are pretty good shavers.....The Gillette Techmatic & the Schick Band Razor did not capture the publics imagination and they were short lived..... :thumbup1:

Hope this helps

Billy

Billy says it very well. In addition, the Gillette Techmatic was the razor that the Apollo astronauts used on the moon flights. I have used both the Gillette and the Schick, and there's not much difference between them in the shave. So you have an opportunity to shave like an astronaut.

Personally, I never cared for either one.

Cool piece of history, but the Schick Bands don't get a lot of love here, or anywhere else for that matter. Give it a shot.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I did use one way back when - recollection is that it dulled quicker than the regular injectors, and that it clogged pretty fast while shaving, like the twin injectors thus being pretty useless for me. I have read of gents who liked the shave, but not for me. As has been said, there are some blade cartridges still around, so you can try it if it tickles your fancy without destroying any value it may have as a collector's item.

Top Bottom