What's new

Above The Tie - slant - design change?

Update: emailed Stan las night, which he responded very fast, stating the plates remained unchanged, as the only change was to the top cap. Thats very good news to all of us, as we can just buy the newer cap to see the difference.

I just ordered an S2 less than a month ago and got the old cap. So, I don't think you can assume when you order now you will get the new design. The older design works just fine by the way.

I just ordered an S2 less than a month ago and got the old cap. So, I don't think you can assume when you order now you will get the new design. The older design works just fine by the way.

i asked and specified i only wanted the new style im hoping thats what they sent. i already have the older one so ill be a bit annoyed (well more then a bit) if they send me the old style i specifically want to see if there is a difference between them so i dont need two old style ones.

I'm really confused now lol. From those who are doing hands on comparisons, I'd love to know more details. I like the previous reputation of the S2 as being an aggressive but smooth razor. If I order a new one, is that what I'll get?

stan says they shave exactly the same. i just had the old top cap and i wanted to get the newer style when i ordered this one. when i get my new one ill post up my thoughts between the two

Hi,

I think this was just a matter of leaving a tad more metal on the cap so that the 'uphill' blade cutting edge does not look like it has more blade exposure than the downhill....

Slants tend to have that look. But it is further up the cap where it contacts your face, and that point is where it is important.

Stan (not *that* Stan)

got mine today and will test it out and post some thoughts later today. the only thing i see off the bat is imo the finish is not quite as nice as it is on my previous head but its still very well done. just a couple deeper lines were left in this one. cant feel them with my finger i can only see them. otherwise looks really good.

okay well now i am upset. the top cap he sent me is the OLD ONE. i specifically asked him and he said it would be the new one. just sent him an email and i hope he responds ill be sending this back if i can not get the new top cap to replace this one. he even emailed me back saying i would received the new top cap. not happy about this right now. so for those ordered i guess you dont know which ones you will get.

Last edited:
i sent him these pics: i know they are not great but you can clearly see the blade exposure, and he says i have the new top cap but in the pics peter posted on page one his blades is almost dead straight across the comb. i have already have one set like this and wanted the straight version like peter showed. so i guess i can not give you guys any feedback since this top cap is exactly the same as the one i used to have. if i hear anything more ill report back but otherwise see my pics and that is supposed to be the new style?

$P1000197.jpg$P1000198.jpg

Three points:
1) the only difference that I can ascertain between v1 and v2 caps is the placement of the pins.
2) given my limited testing so far, I think I prefer the v1 cap. It seems to be a tad more aggressive.
3) my v1 baseplate and Peter's v2 baseplate are not identical. Admittedly, it is certainly possible that any differences are based on minor manufacturing variances.

I'm enjoying this thread. It's like a niche Consumer Reports.

Seriously, I'm sure there are good answers to all the good questions posed. I'm also sure that raising the questions will improve an already amazing product. I suspect Stan is reading, and scratching his head, with the rest of us.

What I know is I've been completely satisfied with all nine ATT pieces I've owned, although only the H2 and S2, with an Atlas handle and two top caps, are currently in my stable.

P.S. I don't know if my S2 is v2, but the blade seems to align with both the top cap and the base plate. I sometimes need to crank down the handle until I hear a noticeable click, when I know the blade has settled into the slots. The torque makes it different from the H2.

Last edited:
if anyone has a top cap that is straight and decides to list it here in bst please let me know when you do.

also please know to everyone, not at all saying i got a bad razor either, its just i wanted one with the even blade exposure like peters to go along with the one i already own. its a great razor either way. just wanted the other style of top cap this time. which i thought by reading stans reply to peter is what the new ones should look like.

I purchased my S2 maybe a month ago (possibly less). It's the older type cap. No, it doesn't look even. But it's a wonderful shaver. Perhaps, Stan went back to the older design? Maybe he found that the cosmetic change led to a less efficient shave? I don't know. But, I'm very happy with my purchase and really don't care that, when I look at the razor, it looks uneven.

It's a slant. They're not supposed to look even. If you want even, buy something else.

i sent him these pics: i know they are not great but you can clearly see the blade exposure, and he says i have the new top cap but in the pics peter posted on page one his blades is almost dead straight across the comb. i have already have one set like this and wanted the straight version like peter showed. so i guess i can not give you guys any feedback since this top cap is exactly the same as the one i used to have. if i hear anything more ill report back but otherwise see my pics and that is supposed to be the new style?

Aw that's a real bummer. I'm hardly an expert on the new style cap but that looks just like my old style cap and doesn't really look like any of the pics I've seen of the new cap. At least ATT offers a top notch return policy… :sad: :lol:

View attachment 611421

That does look like the v1 cap, but it is worth noting that the blade is not 100% parallel with the top cap on Peter's v2 cap. It is close to being parallel, but it is still a bit offset.

I shave with Peter's S2 v2 today. If you like smooth, this razor has it in spades. I have lots more testing to do ...

Top Bottom