What's new

Bringing kids to the gym

My daughter has been asking me to take her to the gym, she's 8. We do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu together already and she's very mature. I only plan to get her doing some light kettlebell work, no barbell work so she won't be in the way of heavy lifters. Do you think 8 y/o is old enough to introduce to the gym?

No, she's too young. It's great that you do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu together - a way to bond, stay physically healthy, and increase her self-confidence - but she doesn't need to be lifting anything. At her age it can cause undo stress upon growing muscles and joints.

My understanding is that lifting is not recommended before 13 years of age. Please talk to her pediatrician for an expert opinion.

I agree, too young. I've never seen anyone that young in my gym (outside the kids corner/day care area) Exercising or just tagging along with a parent.

The additional gym on base has some roll out mats, maybe we'll just go there and do some calisthenics/body weight stuff and practice our Jiu Jitsu together.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Too young for lifting? Urban legend. Just don't push her. Let her push herself and have fun. Just make sure she isn't in danger of losing control and dropping iron on her toes. Kids left to their own devices won't overtrain.

Most gyms won't allow kids under about 12 in (at least where I live). We found one near us that does have classes and activities for kids though and at least gets them some exercise while me and my wife can get a workout in.

I've seen some kids do Brazilian JJ at an early age. My sister had enrolled my niece and she was 5, I went and checked out the school to make sure it wasn't a McDojo. Turns out the guy was a legit black belt under Carlos machado. The way the drills were done made it to where the kids were having fun. They were learning discipline and a great art.

it was mostly transitions and they never sparred. Because that, in my opinion is not good for kids. Let them learn the basics and master them. Then they can be taught more advanced moves, but without sparring. I don't even think kids should be hitting any kind of bag, because even though they might be padded. I think they can still develop tiny hairline fractures (I'm not an Expert whatsoever, just my personal opinion).

We've already been practicing BJJ for a few months now. Our instructor is a brown belt under Brandon Hetzler who got his black belt from Rickson Gracie. I did a good amount of research before we joined. My daughter loves it, she wanted to do gymnastics but I think she now wants to just stay with BJJ. My son doesn't focus as well as she does, so he's coming around a little slower.

Too young for lifting? Urban legend. Just don't push her. Let her push herself and have fun. Just make sure she isn't in danger of losing control and dropping iron on her toes. Kids left to their own devices won't overtrain.

What he said. The only real problem is going to be the gym. Will they let kids in that young.

I think she is a little too young, but if she can go and blend in just like an adult, seems OK to me. Give it a shot and see what happens.

What he said. The only real problem is going to be the gym. Will they let kids in that young.

I think she is a little too young, but if she can go and blend in just like an adult, seems OK to me. Give it a shot and see what happens.

I work out at the gym on base, I don't think anyone really cares to much. But we have a supplemental gym that has some dumbbells and other small things, that's where the mats are and its not manned. So...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I find that in just about every corner of diet and exercise, if you look on the internet you will find passionate, intelligent, rational people with what they claim to be conclusive proof of ... just about any belief imaginable. I'm sure you will find "don't let your kid touch weights until she's 24" right through to "she should be doing olympic weights by age 6" and everything in between.

It's darn hard work filtering out all the nonsense and mistakes and finding the best ... er, least-wrong ... answer. Good luck!

... at least your daughter isn't sitting on the couch watching the boob-toob and eating cheesie-poofs. You win.

Don't be dissing the cheesie poofs.

$cheesy.poofs.jpg

I can honestly think of no reason why a child should be in the gym lifting weights. Isn't there a jungle gym at the park or something? I'm pretty sure running and playing is all an 8 year old needs to do to be fit, plus she's already in martial arts training.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php
proxy.php

... okay, probably a little silly, but ...

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... if this is what she WANTS to do ... I see no problem with it. See where it goes!

As a high school soccer coach, we have to learn about physiological make up of boys and girls. One thing all the medical experts stress is to not give young boys or girls too much stress when it comes to weight lifting...Sure, maybe she can do some 3 lbs weights with you, but more than that and it will harm her, or at least has a potential to harm.

When it comes to something like this, do NOT ask a random forum when it comes to your CHILDS health. Go to a medical professional.

Top Bottom