What's new

SE vs DE

Hello everyone,

I'm a recent convert to wet shaving having finally taken up my grandpa's GEM 1912 that sat in my top clothes' drawer for a few decades. (I'll likely try out his straights later this year but that's another story.) Despite having just started, I am already hooked and amazed at the shave it can give. I didn't expect that and thought I'd be shopping for a Merkur 34C or other DE but now I am not sure I see a convincing reason to do so.

Does anyone care to share their view of the merits of SEs vs DEs (or vice versa?)

Glad to be here, thanks in advance for sharing your insights and experience.

View attachment 587580

SE's have more rigid blades that last for more shaves than DE's. SE's are easier to find proper angle.

DE's come in a much wider variety of styles - open comb, safety bar, vintage, new, etc.

Start exploring and enjoy.

It will always come down to personal preference, and that's the way it should be. Personally, I prefer SEs to DEs, but I like Injectors the best by far.

I knew I could be wading into swamp with this question and opening a can worms (great visual - thanks BSAguy) and YMMV will definitely apply (thanks for the reminder xxvaleria). With so many goodies calling out for acquisition I really appreciate hearing about the perceived merits of each. While a debate about which is better than the other could be endless (and maybe fun?!) I'm hoping the thread also yields specific differences others have experienced!

Last edited:
The advantages of DEs are there are more razors and blades available. Plus, you can get modern DE razors. There are a variety of DE razors from aggressive to mild, slants, adjustables, etc. SE razors are cheaper to buy and the angle issue is less of an issue, IMHO, since you start off by using the razor with the head flat on your face. Injector razors are probably the easiest to use and also are reasonable in price.

The advantages of DEs are there are more razors and blades available. Plus, you can get modern DE razors. There are a variety of DE razors from aggressive to mild, slants, adjustables, etc. SE razors are cheaper to buy and the angle issue is less of an issue, IMHO, since you start off by using the razor with the head flat on your face. Injector razors are probably the easiest to use and also are reasonable in price.
Exactly!

The only thing I'm worried about is honing. I have a SE razor but I used it once and it needed to be honed. I never bought the stones as they're too expensive. With DE you won't have this issue, just load and shave. Still, one day I will buy the stones and shave with my SE razor :w00t:

If your referring to the 1912 (SE) you don't hone its blades. You can get blades at the drug store. I like Gem Blue Star Blades.
If you mean Grandpa's straight razors you will need supplies (hone and strop etc.).

Consider getting a DE razor and see for yourself how you like one vis-a-vis the other. After you do, report back.

Hello everyone,

I'm a recent convert to wet shaving having finally taken up my grandpa's GEM 1912 that sat in my top clothes' drawer for a few decades. (I'll likely try out his straights later this year but that's another story.) Despite having just started, I am already hooked and amazed at the shave it can give. I didn't expect that and thought I'd be shopping for a Merkur 34C or other DE but now I am not sure I see a convincing reason to do so.

Does anyone care to share their view of the merits of SEs vs DEs (or vice versa?)

Glad to be here, thanks in advance for sharing your insights and experience.
The GEM is lot more aggressive then the DE. They require more attention but are excellent shaver. I have had few over the years.

The GEM is lot more aggressive then the DE. They require more attention but are excellent shaver. I have had few over the years.

Although, I've found the Damaskeene to be.much more forgiving than the other GEMs. Either way, with an SE, I've found that a flat blade angle and very light pressure is very important.

Top Bottom