What's new

Need Help With Beginner Strop Basics

This might be common knowledge but for someone completely new to using straight razors, which is better, a board strop, or a belt strop?

Also does the width matter? I have seen strops that are 2 inch width, which I guess means you have to do like a Z pattern or something on them to strop the entire length of the blade. Is it better if I get a 3 inch strop so I don't have to do this? It seems like I would have a greater chance of ruining the edge if I use a strop that is narrower than the full length of the blade.

If I have a razor that is shave ready, is all I need is a leather strop, or do I need other stuff to maintain the blade in between honnings? If you can, recommend me a few budget products ($50 or less), thanks!

Board or strap is a personal choice as far as width 3" is top dog to avoid doing the "X" stroke, if you do a pre/post stropping correctly every time the edge should last you several months before it needs to be honed again but that is dependent or correct stropping and you not damaging the edge like dropping it or dragging something over the edge, remember its a fragile edge.

I would not spend alot on your first strop as you are most likely going to nick/gouge it at some point, I did on mine but thats ok as it still functions well and I am passing it to my son, as far as strops go visit Tony Miller at the Well Shaved Gentlemen and look at his 2 1/2" Plain Vanilla strops, no its not a 3" but its also not alot of $$$ and Tony makes some wonderful pieces, also seek out Whipped Dog and look at his strops they are priced within your range.

Hi. I think the choice of a hanging (belt) or paddle (board) strop is a matter of personal preference.

Same with width. Except some find that a 3" strop will bow, so there may be some trade offs, even if you don't have to strop in with an x-stroke, like we do on a smaller strop. I own both sizes and do not have a preference.

Whether or not you need other stuff to keep you edges going depends on your stropping and shaving skills. Lapping film is supper cheap and can keep an edge going until it hits the sink.

Good luck, you're asking all the right questions. Be prepared for a whole bunch of differing answers, as we all find our own ways . . . .

Hi
I started with a paddle strop and when I acquired a better technique moved to a belt.

Best luck !

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like a wide strop. For unpasted use, I prefer the hanging strop. For abrasives, I like a paddle. Actually, I use balsa for that. Even with a wide strop, it is good to put just a little of an x stroke to it. And vary the amount that the heel leads by. And for a wide strop, it is very advantageous if the strop is reversible. In other words, you can swap ends. If the right hand edge gets nicked up, you can swap ends and then that right edge becomes the left edge, out of the way where the razor won't encounter it. Watch for cupping. This is especially true for strops put together with rivets or Chicago screws, and only fastened at two places at each end. A centerline attachment helps prevent cupping.

Top Bottom