What's new

Sensitive Skin & reaction to cream....

I wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this. I have really sensitive skin, and recently purchased a tube of C&E Sandalwood cream. First, I didn't follow the sage advice on this forum and stick with the same cream (Proraso) I've been using for the past week (I have this bad habit of wanting to play with my new toys). Anyway, aside from a few lather problems (different creams take different water ratios.....I learned the hard way), I noticed that my skin didn't react that well to the cream (a bit of stinging...not bad, but noticeable....and no irritation afterwards).

I haven't experienced this at all with Proraso (C.O. Bigelow), but I guess this could be due to the menthol and a little bit of cooling/numbness. However, I wanted to get everyone else's opinions on a hypoallergenic, sensitive, or unscented cream (from any vendor) that works well for those with skin that reacts to every little chemical (like mine). I welcome all opinions, and appreciate the advice.

I wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this. I have really sensitive skin, and recently purchased a tube of C&E Sandalwood cream. First, I didn't follow the sage advice on this forum and stick with the same cream (Proraso) I've been using for the past week (I have this bad habit of wanting to play with my new toys). Anyway, aside from a few lather problems (different creams take different water ratios.....I learned the hard way), I noticed that my skin didn't react that well to the cream (a bit of stinging...not bad, but noticeable....and no irritation afterwards).

I haven't experienced this at all with Proraso (C.O. Bigelow), but I guess this could be due to the menthol and a little bit of cooling/numbness. However, I wanted to get everyone else's opinions on a hypoallergenic, sensitive, or unscented cream (from any vendor) that works well for those with skin that reacts to every little chemical (like mine). I welcome all opinions, and appreciate the advice.
I'm in the same boat, as far as sensitve skin, and I've found the Art of Shaving Unscented cream to be great! Very thick, rich, slick, easy to "face lather". Has a lot of good ingredients in it. Also, there IS, in fact, an EXCELLENT "canned goop"---Nivea for Men Sensitve Gel. This can be used with or without a brush and has a thick, cushiony, dense lather, which doesn't irritate in the least. I probably wouldn't need any other shaving cream besides these two. You shouldn't have any "lather problems" with either of these and a VERY small dab makes a MOUNTAIN of lather.

thanks.....I did pick up some AOS Lavendar that I haven't used yet......I wonder if the scent will have some effect or not.....

I'll find out soon.......Thanks for the info

I find myself in your same exact situation. I have this obsessive compulsive disorder i guess. I love my proraso red. So far its been the best thing for my face. Tabac gave me good shaves but I think the scent irritated my face. I havent tried the green proraso. Probably just as good though I heard even that can irritate because of the menthol and stuff. My problem is that I keep wanting more and more. Never satisfied. I want to try other creams even though I know proraso red is golden. I guess its how I view girls too. I could never be with only one girl and only be hitting that one ***. Things get old REAL QUICK for me and that includes everything in my life, including the cars I drive and the place I live in. Sucks but oh well.

yeah.......my compulsive search for instant gratification never really turns out that gratifying......go figure, right?

same problem. it really does suck. ill find a real good cream (proraso red for me) but ill still think theres something better (for MY skin) and there probably is and when I find that, Ill think like this again and keep upgrading. it never stops. never satisfied.

I've got dry skin that tends to be a little sensitive as well. Strangely enough, AOS unscented broke my face out. :confused: Anyway, Salter Mint, Speick, and JM Fraser's all work very well for me. All three are mildly scented, and provide great shaves and skincare, for me. Almost forgot Trumper Coconut, which is also very good, but more $$ too.

Unless you're getting a really bad reaction or shave I'd hang in there and give each cream/soap a decent workout. I've made the mistake of trying something and then shelving it too soon. I almost got rid of a tub of TOBS lavender by not giving it a fair shot. I have so many creams I have to keep reminding myself that things like water/cream ratio, mixing time, etc all make a big difference from cream to cream and can really take a while to figure out.

Top Bottom