What's new

Olive salad recipes?

I have become addicted to turkey sandwiches with a good dollop of olive salad, aka muffuletta salad, smeared on for lunch. This stuff is delicious. I have been eating a house brand from the US Aldi grocery stores, and like it, but it is made with soybean oil instead of olive oil. I gotta think this salad made from olive oil would be healthier. Does anyone have a recipe? Homemade would surely be better than store bought.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have become addicted to turkey sandwiches with a good dollop of olive salad, aka muffuletta salad, smeared on for lunch. This stuff is delicious. I have been eating a house brand from the US Aldi grocery stores, and like it, but it is made with soybean oil instead of olive oil. I gotta think this salad made from olive oil would be healthier. Does anyone have a recipe? Homemade would surely be better than store bought.

I had to look this one up. As I read the ingredients I remembered that Martha Stewart made a really good one on her show.

http://www.marthastewart.com/1089951/olive-salad

Click on the big circle with a triangle (play icon) for the video.

Thanks for the link! I notice Martha's recipe calls for Tabasco, which is a big plus. The store version I am buying has little chopped bits of carrot and cauliflower in it too, which adds some crunch. I may try Martha's recipe with a spoonful of finely chopped pickled veggies added.

I was never a big olive fan, but this salad on a sandwich is awesome and has converted me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tapenade is simple to prepare. Chuck a couple of cloves of peeled garlic into a food processor and give it a few pulses. Add an assortment of olives that you enjoy, a few anchovy filets and some olive oil. If you have any sun dried tomatoes, reconstitute a few and throw them in as well. If you have, add some shredded basil and/or parsley, and some fresh oregano or thyme couldn't hurt. Pulse until slightly smooth but retaining some decent sized chunks of olives. Stir in some non-pareil capers, more olive oil if needed, and a splash of fresh lemon juice, and adjust seasoning with S&P.

You don't even need a sandwich, just spread some on some good bread. Hard to go wrong with this recipe- whatever you don't have will not detract much at all, since it's an intensely flavored spread that withstands a wide margin of error.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tapenade is simple to prepare. Chuck a couple of cloves of peeled garlic into a food processor and give it a few pulses. Add an assortment of olives that you enjoy, a few anchovy filets and some olive oil. If you have any sun dried tomatoes, reconstitute a few and throw them in as well. If you have, add some shredded basil and/or parsley, and some fresh oregano or thyme couldn't hurt. Pulse until slightly smooth but retaining some decent sized chunks of olives. Stir in some non-pareil capers, more olive oil if needed, and a splash of fresh lemon juice, and adjust seasoning with S&P.

You don't even need a sandwich, just spread some on some good bread. Hard to go wrong with this recipe- whatever you don't have will not detract much at all, since it's an intensely flavored spread that withstands a wide margin of error.

Sounds like a very hardy olive pesto.

ouch

Sounds like a very hardy olive pesto.

Pesto is pretty much all basil. Tapenade should look like this.

proxy.php

I'm not sure what that chunky stuff is above but this is the best Olive Salad I have come across. Compliments of Mr. Taggart. http://www.gumbopages.com/food/samwiches/muff.html

• [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
    [*] For the olive salad:
    [*] 1 gallon large pimento stuffed green olives, slightly crushed and well drained
    [*] 1 quart jar pickled cauliflower, drained and sliced
    [*] 2 small jars capers, drained
    [*] 1 whole stalk celery, sliced diagonally
    [*] 4 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
    [*] 1 small jar celery seeds
    [*] 1 small jar oregano
    [*] 1 large head fresh garlic, peeled and minced
    [*] 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    [*] 1 jar pepperoncini, drained (small salad peppers) left whole
    [*] 1 pound large Greek black olives
    [*] 1 jar cocktail onions, drained
    [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or pot and mix well. Place in a large jar and cover with 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 Crisco oil. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Allow to marinate for at least 24 hours before using.[/FONT]

ouch

Helluva first post there, red. I'm going to have to give that recipe a try. Doubled, of course.

Top Bottom