What's new

Pork roast on the Weber

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I am no stranger to roasts in the oven. I want to do it in the Weber this week-end. I would like to have something similar to pulled pork.

My strategy is the following, I will inject the pork with a bit of apple juice before cooking it. I may or may not make a rub or sauce to put on the pork, I am unsure yet but will most likely make a rub and a sauce.

I will set the weber to be indirect cooking. Possibly use the minion method for my coal to burn slowly. I have some apple chips that I will soak and place around the unlit coals

I will keep a pan with water under the piece of meat to ensure that it stays moist.

I got a brand new meat thermometer that gives me the temperature of the piece of meat and the BBQ. I will be using it as I can leave it in the BBQ while it cooks.

How does it sounds? How would you do it?

Should work fine. I did one recently like that. I split a 5lb roast horizontally in half to speed up the cooking time and to get more "outside smoky and spice-rubbed surface area. It took about 5 hours at 250°F

I smoked for the first few hours and then wrapped in foil for the last couple. Unwrapped for the last half hour or so to "dry" the outside a bit. Chopped it into big chunks and served it that way. To "pull" it, I think it would have needed another couple of hours to get to that really tender shred-able stage.

Sounds solid, though I'd get chunks, not chips for a +/-10 hour smoke job. Soaking wood chunks isn't necessary. It creates steam in a smoker. Fine in a BBQ, but not required here. You'll get your smoked flavour without soaking them, believe me! Good choice with apple wood. Just keep it low and slow.

Once the roast has hit temp, I like to remove it from the smoker, wrap it in tinfoil, and then a towel, and set it in a cooler for about 1-2 hours for a juicy finished product.

Best of luck however you choose to go about it! Love my Weber!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's often called a pork "butt," but you may see it as shoulder. There's not a ton of fat in it, but there's a nice fat cap on top. The reason it's so great for long cooking is that it's loaded with connective tissue that will gelatinize into succulent goodness.

So, don't rush taking it off, but you can wrap it in foil to braise after a while, if you want (i.e., you'd like it done in under 10-12 hours). Halving it does help.

Get a bone in one, if you can. When you can wiggle the bone out cleanly, it's done and ready to pull. Boned is fine, if that's all there is. In fact, I've done a deboned one where I went ahead and separated into fairly small bits, tossed them in some oil and rub, and cooked them like that. They were quicker, and they weren't quite "pulled pork," but they were great.

If you are watching temperature and want to pull it, you're looking at 200+F, but the best test is to wiggle out that bone.

Luc

Staff member
Sounds solid, though I'd get chunks, not chips for a +/-10 hour smoke job. Soaking wood chunks isn't necessary. It creates steam in a smoker. Fine in a BBQ, but not required here. You'll get your smoked flavour without soaking them, believe me! Good choice with apple wood. Just keep it low and slow.

Once the roast has hit temp, I like to remove it from the smoker, wrap it in tinfoil, and then a towel, and set it in a cooler for about 1-2 hours for a juicy finished product.

Best of luck however you choose to go about it! Love my Weber!

Good news, I was able to find a place down the road that has wood chunks so I will be buying a bag or two...

Luc

Staff member
I will post a few pictures but sure!

Tex, you beat me to it, I was thinking from the OP more along the lines of a pork loin roast which should only go up to 135F before being pulled. Anything past that would just overcook it.

Luc best of luck to you on the cook!!

I'm curious as to what cut is involved. Where I'm at, the Boston Butt, Shoulder and a sirloin roast are different critters, and I'd wager they have different names in Oh Canada.

Luc

Staff member
I will post some pictures when everything is ready to go. At the moment, looks like my saturday has been booked for a kid's party. Sunday is already reserved for a piece of montreal smoked meat!

Luc

Staff member
I will make an apple-flavoured BBQ sauce for the roast. I've located the piece of meat, it will be a Costco piece with a bit of fat. I have some squeeze bottles to pour the sauce so it should go very well. I would guesstimate the roast to a 6hours if I look at what happened with the piece of beef Sunday!

Luc

Staff member
I took some pictures but need to get around to plug the camera in to post them. I bought a piece of loin with a part that was boneless ribs. There was a 1/4-1/8 inch fat on it.

I applied a dry rub of salt, pepper and smoked paprika. I set the grill for indirect cooking (250F-275F) for 4 hours. I hit 160F, I wrapped the piece in foil and let it rest for 1 hour. I had 2 forks to shred the meat, while it was a bit difficult, it went well. I will do this again. I used applewood and I a bit of apple juice injected in the meat.

I mixed everything with a homemade BBQ sauce. Pictures to come soon.

Smoking is as much of an addition as shaving (my difference is the family gets excited about the smoking!). I have a MasterBuilt 30" electric and have something different in it every weekend. Look on the MasterBuilt website for some great recipes!

Alan.

Luc

Staff member
Finally plugged in the camera. Here they are... I still have some. I got some bear claws to shred the meat even if I saw that it's more of a gadget than an utility. I had 2 small forks to undo the pork and it took me a while.

The pork was fabulous!

Everything coated with a dry rub (salt-pepper-paprika) and a bbq sauce where I blended a few things together such as tomatoes, salt, pepper, molasses, apple cider, an apple, more paprika. I cooked the sauce to reduce it, put it in a squeeze bottle and used that to mop the piece!

Attachments

• $SANY7188.jpg
    $SANY7188.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 129
  • $SANY7189.jpg
    $SANY7189.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Top Bottom