What's new

Wilkinson Parade

Just got and used one of these mini feats of engineering. Looking around, Wilkinson created the Strong Beard, Pall Mall, Empire and many others. With screws, knobs and gears could a razor get any cooler? No!
Here is a place to share what you have.

Pull up a lawn chair and block off the street. Let the Wilkinson parade commence! :popc:

I'll start off with mine:

A 1930 Empire
$SAM_1057.jpg

Last edited:
No. Several different models. There are several duplicates. Just look at the handles and gears. The third set of pictures show three sets of 7 Day Empire's. Much different than the others, in the way the blades load. Those take the cool factor to the next level.
The first set of razors shown, on the bottom row, in the middle, shows a solid safety bar version. I haven't seen one listed before, or since I got that one.
The prices on these have been going up, steadily, since I bought mine, last year. At the time, I had a serious bug, in buying these. Nobody cared for them much, and sellers on EBay UK couldn't get rid of them. Most were bought for between 3.99-7.99 GBP'S, even the 7 Day models. How could I pass on that?
I did pass on many, because of potential problems.
Great, I feel like looking on eBay for Wilkies, again.
MUST FIGHT THE URGE!!!!!!

Last edited:
I just have the one set . . . for now. :001_rolle

This is one of the later editions, circa 1947.

I love how these are so well engineered and crafted, with heavy plating. Most of them clean up very nicely, even if they initially look rough.

$ws1.JPG

$ws2.JPG

$ws3.JPG

$ws4.JPG

$ws5.JPG

The challenge when looking for a 7 day set is finding one with all the blades present. Of course if all the blades are there it tends to drive up the price. You may be able to find a bargain on a set with blades missing - after all, you only need one blade with which to shave.

My strop was dried out but responded well to multiple coats of Lubriderm. If you're thinking of using a strop from a Valet Auto-Strop, it will need to be trimmed - the Wilkinson strop is about 1/8" narrower.

--Bob

Scored this one locally. I think it is an early Wilkinson. It came with a couple Blades but sadly they are different sized from the Empire.
Here are the bad tablet photos:
$IMG_20150711_134053~2.jpg
$IMG_20150711_134455~2.jpg

Nice one Jeff. I see you have a Feather in it???? I never thought of using one of those blades. All I have used are the Gem/Personna.
I have many original wedge blades, but, I cannot seem to get a good edge on them.

Spidey9, Pretty 7 Day Model.

Imatabor- I dont recall the handle of that razor. They made the Pall Malls that looked similar to that. It sure looks good. Did it come with the case and stropper, and stropping handle??
Which one/ones do you need a closeup of? If I did that with all, it would take up too much space. Besides, my camera isn't that good with closeups. Or, maybe I haven't figured that feature out yet.

So do we have a guide to tell the difference between the different models? Until recently, I thought they were all Empires. I've never heard of the other ones. I have two, but they don't actually say Empire, or anything else on them. Pics later.

Imatabor- I dont recall the handle of that razor. They made the Pall Malls that looked similar to that. It sure looks good. Did it come with the case and stropper, and stropping handle??
It has a case with 3 Blades and the stropper device no stropping handle though. Is there a modern blade that can fit it?

Which one/ones do you need a closeup of? If I did that with all, it would take up too much space. Besides, my camera isn't that good with closeups. Or, maybe I haven't figured that feature out yet.

Any of them. I like to look (not as creepy as that sounds)

Wow...just wow. Those razors are pure works of art, plain and simple (feeling RAD coming on).
Bob, a question about that plate that your handle is resting onin the case...is it to anchor the razor?

Whoops, upon further review, the plate is the strop holder...jeez, they even made that​ with style!

Yes indeed, the holder serves two functions: anchoring the razor handle in the box, and keeping the strop neatly stored.

Pure class. :001_cool:

--Bob

I have the "double edge" equivalent of John's razor ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

... thankfully, it takes a modern FEATHER or de-spined GEM:

proxy.php

I've had a load of Empires, a couple of Pall Mall and a still have a lovely Patent Roller Safety Shaver which I very much like ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I kept a couple of Empires ... late ones, the W12 and W19.

Just put a modern SE blade in my Pall Mall (I think that is what it is) and it just barely catches the stops.

Top Bottom