What's new

Wilkinson Parade

Nice one Jeff. I see you have a Feather in it???? I never thought of using one of those blades. All I have used are the Gem/Personna.
I have many original wedge blades, but, I cannot seem to get a good edge on them.

The Feather worked great, I still had to trim but not as much as they are already somewhat notched. Somebody else suggested trying a Feather here in another thread (possibly garyg??) so I gave it a spin. In reading the other Wilkinson thread started by imatabor it sounds like we all just need to send our wedge blades to spidey9 to get them shaped up? :biggrin1:

In reading the other Wilkinson thread started by imatabor it sounds like we all just need to send our wedge blades to spidey9 to get them shaped up? :biggrin1:

Um . . . no. :001_huh:

I'm only up to Tuesday on my own 7 day set!

I've been honing Wilkinson blades, Kampfe wedges, and Rolls blades, and the Wilkinson blades are the most difficult. This is due to their small size and their being made of really hard steel.

Wilkinson did not intend for the blades to be honed. When stropping no longer produced an acceptable edge they were to be replaced with new ones.

There is a huge amount of info available on blade honing but most of it is directed at straight razors. Some of it is contradictory and confusing.

When I get some time I will put together a brief summary of my own adventures. It isn't really difficult, and by using lapping film instead of stones it can be done without a large cash outlay.

--Bob

Spidey9, what steps are used to sharpen and hone your blades? Also, what hones and strops are used? I have a bunch of Wilkinson and various wedge blades that I need to sharpen. I just don't want to experiment, and ruin any.

I've been honing wedge blades (Wilkonson, Kampfe and Rolls) using progressively finer grades of 3M lapping film on a marble tile. This is sometimes referred to as the Scary Sharp method. It is one way to get a decent edge without spending a lot of money on hones. For stropping the Wilkinson blades I use the razor and the strop that came with it. I was fortunate - the strop was dried out but responded well to multiple applications of Lubriderm lotion.

I'm working (off and on) on a step-by-step how-to with pictures that I'll put up when I get done.

--Bob

Am dying to try this with the wedge blade. Will have to find a someone to hone a wedge up for me.

The Wilkinson's are cool looking razors. On the other hand they look like they would grind up your face while you shave.
I have seen several of these at antique stores in the past. How well do these shave?

Owen

--No I'm not going to shave and ride the Triumph at the same time...

I think these are the ultimate, in Steam Punk looking razors. I'm looking forward to your evaluations of this wedge blade. Because, I have some needing to be honed too.

Last edited:
Scott have you shaved with one of the wedge blades before? I just presumed you had since you are like the "Wilkinson Whisper"

Sorry to say, no. :bored:I haven't been able to hone my wedges sharp enough. I have used a modified Gem blade in several though. It does well that way, but I've always wondered how they feel with the original blades.

I love the look of these "thinking man's" razors. I have a couple and look forward to shaving with them, if i can figure out how!!

I just picked up another Pall Mall. My favorite vintage shaver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Who else has a Wilkinson?

That's a great looking one! This one has a blade as well as a stropper. Great shaver.
The box is shot (The seller didn't post pictures of the damage) but it was the razor I was after. Haven't seen too many over the past 2 years.

The box is shot (The seller didn't post pictures of the damage) but it was the razor I was after. Haven't seen too many over the past 2 years.
Darn, I been so concentrated on my quest for vintage slants that this one got by me. Waiting on a shave report WITH THE WEDGE BLADE.

Top Bottom