What's new

Contemplating an open comb DE

My one and only razor at the moment is the famous Merkur 34C, but I'm really interested in trying (owning) an open comb razor. My 34C could easily be my only razor for the rest of my life - it's perfect for me in every way - but I think it would be nice to own another razor just to mix it up once in a while. I'm thinking I want an open comb-type, just to have two different types of razors. I've never felt the need to own an adjustable or a slant bar, so I'm not even considering those.

The two razors that I'm looking at are the Merkur 15C and the 1904/1906 (leaning more toward the 1904/1906). I really prefer a short handle and I tend to prefer the Merkur brand. So, with that in mind, I'd like to hear a few advantages/disadvantages to both models. Should I look at any other models?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you want a Merkur OC, then the 15C and 41C (1904 OC) are your only two options, unless you can get your hands on the discontinued 11C. I don't own a Merkur, but the existing Merkur OC's are meant to provide a milder shave than the 34C.

The 41C is nickel plated and 15C is chrome plated, so the finish will look different. They will have the same head, therefore it comes down to whichever finish and handle you prefer. Otherwise, you can always consider an alternative brand (i.e FaTip Piccolo with the short brass handle, which will provide a more aggressive shave than your 34C).

Last edited:
If you want a Merkur OC, then the 15C and 1904 OC are your only two options, unless you can get your hands on the discontinued 11C. I don't own a Merkur, but the existing Merkur OC's are meant to provide a milder shave than the 34C.

The 1904 OC is nickel plated and 15C is chrome plated, so the finish will look different. They will have the same head, therefore it comes down to whichever finish and handle you prefer. Otherwise, you can always consider an alternative brand (i.e FaTip Piccolo with the short brass handle, which will provide a more aggressive shave than your 34C).

Interesting - the way I understood it, was that any open comb-style razor is going to be more aggressive than a safety bar-style. So you're saying that both of these open comb razors will be less aggressive than my 34C?

Is there even any real benefit from an open comb-style razor? Because if there isn't, I just assume stick with my 34C.

Last edited:
The advantages of the OC is the open teeth allowing a greater amount of lather to pass through while shaving, which some would say result in a smoother, perhaps more comfortable shave. Some would go as far as saying that the open teeth also help lift whiskers, therefore it should also be more efficient while shaving after a few days growth. How accurate these arguments are would probably come down to individual perception (YMMV).

In general you would think an open-comb should be a more aggressive shave because it doesn't have a "safety-bar", but that's not always the case. The current Merkur OC razors appear to be designed in a way to be less aggressive and this appears to be the case based on user feedback. See this link - http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

As long as the plating is OK, it shouldn't matter if its Nickel or Chrome plated. I'm not sure if one would be more durable than the other. Nickel plating looks a little different and you will get a razor resembling the early 20th century designs.

Since you currently have a closed-comb razor, I think an open comb will provide you with a different experience, therefore IMO, I recommend giving one a go. It might be worthwhile researching other alternatives to Merkur - there's plenty of options.

Last edited:
Go vintage. Get the original instead of a clone/copy. Originals are far superior in durability. Look at a New, Old, or New Improved. Good luck in your search.

Aggressiveness has more to do with blade exposure and gap, i.e. geometry rather than open or closed comb. I have a 1904 OC and it's very mild. It has very little blade exposure and blade gap. The handle does look nice, but it's a little bit on the slippery side, not much grip. But I do use it with other heads because it's the heaviest loose handle I have atm. You might want to look at the Parker 24c / 26c and use it with another handle if that one is too long for you. Or if you want to go vintage you won't go wrong with a Gillette NEW. The Fatip is on the aggressive side, but lots of guys here have very good results using it.

Open Combs look nicer than the safety bar razors, but the open combs tend to be more aggressive. I like the feel, and shave, of the Gillette Fat Boys, and Slim Adjustable razors. But, I like the look of the Open Combs.

Another vote for the Gillette NEW Long Comb :thumbup1: Everyone should own at least one!

$IMG_1556.jpg

Merkur 34C user here and my OC recommendations would be a New Short or Long OC or the Fatip Piccolo if you don't want to go vintage. Both would be a step up in aggression. I have the New Short and the Fatip Piccolo and my favorite OC is the Fatip. It has a learning curve to it but once you get it dialed in the shaves are great.

Happy hunting and let us know what happens.

Thanks again, everybody. Funny enough, I've now turned my attention to the world of stainless steel razors :thumbup1:. Never even knew such a thing was available! I've been away from wet shaving for so long, I haven't paid any attention to what's new out there. Just with the little reading I've done so far, the consensus seems to be that Above the Tie is offering what would be considered the absolute best of the best in terms of overall quality. The price tag makes me hesitate a bit, but wow, how can you beat stainless steel? Putting my wallet away for a bit, though, while I make sure I've done my research.

What concerns me a little is the fact that the stainless steel razor is going to be HEAVY. Can't help but wonder if just the weight alone is going to require going through another learning curve. My 34C is fairly heavy ... it's stainless steel equivalent is going to be even heavier. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nah. Taking on a heavier razor is easier than driving someone else's car. You adapt and get the knack pretty quickly.

Is above the tie out of the question? I vote for the worlds only open come slant, with the Atlas handle...

If you love the Merkur 34c you might consider a Merkur 11c which is basically the 34c in open comb configuration. They are no longer produced but are out there if you look. I use mine all the time and it gives great shaves.
$Merkur11c razor.jpg

Top Bottom