What's new

What's up with the semicolon tattoos?

I know several people that have them , but they are all friends that have had portions of their colon removed, thus semicolons.

It symbolizes things left unsaid. It possesses a highly powerful meaning. A friend of mine and her family all just got one in honour of her recently late brother's self-chosen passing from this life.
I'm sorry for their grief, but I'm also glad they are honoring his life. What a sad thing to honor; such a loss.

Nobody even knows how to correctly use a semicolon when writing. How is it going to raise any awareness of anything if nobody even knows what it is for?

I know how to use a semicolon. It's a coordinating conjunction. It's also half of the winking smiley face.

;)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Awareness is good, but wouldn't the money be better spent on PSA's or drives to contribute money and / or time to benefit the cause directly?
It seems to me to be one of those things that makes the doer feel good about himself, but little else.

Imagine if all the money the NFL spent each year on pink gear was instead directly donated to Breast Cancer research.
Getting a tattoo, or wearing a ribbon or a bracelet does nothing at all to combat the problem itself.

Instead of getting the tattoo (or maybe along with getting it) how about volunteering a few hours to help with a suicide hotline?

Last edited:
Awareness is good, but wouldn't the money be better spent on PSA's or drives to contribute money and / or time to benefit the cause directly?
It seems to me to be one of those things that makes the doer feel good about himself, but little else.

Imagine if all the money the NFL spent each year on pink gear was instead directly donated to Breast Cancer research.
Getting a tattoo, or wearing a ribbon or a bracelet does nothing at all to combat the problem itself.

Instead of getting the tattoo (or maybe along with getting it) how about volunteering a few hours to help with a suicide hotline?

I just think of it as a form of advertisement. For all we know they may be doing all of the volunteering and other things as well, but maybe the tattoo helps get a conversation going that otherwise may not have happened.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just think of it as a form of advertisement. For all we know they may be doing all of the volunteering and other things as well, but maybe the tattoo helps get a conversation going that otherwise may not have happened.

I agree, and I think awareness is a good thing, but I personally know some folks who promote "awareness" but don't do anything else.

That yellow ribbon on the back of the car for example. Yes, it's support for the troops, but...
There aren't any troops that are aware that Mr. Smith has that ribbon on his car, and none of the money spent on his version of the ribbon goes to wounded warriors or any other troops charity. How does that help anyone except Mr. Smiths own personal conscience?

Awareness in conjunction with real, concrete action is better than just raising awareness.

I agree, and I think awareness is a good thing, but I personally know some folks who promote "awareness" but don't do anything else.

That yellow ribbon on the back of the car for example. Yes, it's support for the troops, but...
There aren't any troops that are aware that Mr. Smith has that ribbon on his car, and none of the money spent on his version of the ribbon goes to wounded warriors or any other troops charity. How does that help anyone except Mr. Smiths own personal conscience?

Awareness in conjunction with real, concrete action is better than just raising awareness.

I understand and agree completely. Anyone can wear a ribbon, but not everyone is willing to actually do something to help.

That yellow ribbon is there so other people see it and wonder what it's for ( same as the pink gear in the NFL, etc) The commercials for wounded warriors probably brings in far more money, than if the money used to make it were just donated, same goes for Mr. Smiths ribbon. I'm happy that people are willing to bring awareness to something, whether they donate or not. Some people don't have the means to donate money, so they donate time, something else, or just a ribbon. I Imagine Mr. Smith isn't that concerned with his conscience, and if asked, I bet the troops are proud he's displaying the ribbon, money or not.

That yellow ribbon is there so other people see it and wonder what it's for ( same as the pink gear in the NFL, etc) The commercials for wounded warriors probably brings in far more money, than if the money used to make it were just donated, same goes for Mr. Smiths ribbon. I'm happy that people are willing to bring awareness to something, whether they donate or not. Some people don't have the means to donate money, so they donate time, something else, or just a ribbon. I Imagine Mr. Smith isn't that concerned with his conscience, and if asked, I bet the troops are proud he's displaying the ribbon, money or not.

Yep, even the littlest something is a whole lot better than nothing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's a few interesting articles that sum up the idea of Slactivism;

http://www.cracked.com/article_19899_5-popular-forms-charity-that-arent-helping.html

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/07/awareness-is-overrated.html

http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2014/04/21/raising-awareness-not-enough

These are each great articles, and there are plenty more from almost every perspective, disease, physical disability, mental disability, poverty.

One of the points made about slacktivism is that simple "awareness" harms rather than helps the cause.

The idea being that 10 people 10% engaged by "awareness" doesn't equal 1 person 100% engaged because the first case is just people wearing a ribbon and the second case is someone donating time or money.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Semicolon Tattoo Project actually has a facebook page. They have some interesting comments there.
Though the project itself is simply an awareness program (from their Facebook Page):
The Semicolon Tattoo Project is an ongoing awareness campaign that seeks to engage communities in suicide prevention and mental health awareness.
They do at least have some links to places where real work can be done, such as volunteering at Suicide Prevention Centers and working with Wounded Warriors, so bravo and kudos to them for that.

Honestly, I don't know the answer, so i'm asking this question. What sort of percentage of the overall everyday Joe can we definitively say only participate by awareness only?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
83.2%.

Coincidentally, that is the same percentage of statistics that are made up on the spot.

Top Bottom