What's new

Old Spice 1956 vs. Indian Old Spice

Good info. That Indian bottle is certainly packed with fine print. They must have some US lawyers on the packaging team!

Yes. That's kinda what I thought, too.

As for what's authentic and what's not you need to have some cultural understanding.

In Japan and other places in the orient a number of temples are made mostly of bamboo. While not a single stick of wood nor length of leather binding is original from hundreds of years ago, it is conceptually "the same temple" in the local mindset. A western civil engineer would be wide eyed in amazement at that concept.

Culture is relevant.

Very interesting guys. I understand now, as far as the "Shulton" name goes. I guess it's a good thing P&G hasn't screwed with the formulation at the Rubicon plant, yet. I'm not a big fan of P&G, but when they are the only game in town, what choice do you have?
My main concern is getting the scent of the " Vintage Shulton Old Spice". So, I will buy annother bottle of the "Rubicon". I will also keep an eye out at antique shops for bottles of the real stuff.
I did send an email to P&G Old Spice division, regarding the new smell. It will probably fall on deaf ears, but it made me feel better.

Before you buy a vintage bottle you may want to read this,some bottles are worth more than others,and their value goes up every year.Here is a picture of the Indian Shulton,now replaced by Rubicon. http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/traditional bottles.html

Attachments

• $oldspice.jpg
    $oldspice.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 216
But, they are no longer making that anymore. Have you compared the Indian Shulton to the Rubicon??

I haven't compared my old Indian Shulton to the Rubicon,but I have compared it to the current American version,the old Indian Shulton smells a tad crisper,a little spicier than todays American Old Spice,and it reminds me more of the Old Spice I used in the 1960's.It could be all in my mind,it could be the olfactory senses ageing,who the hell knows ?,but the Shulton of India is certainly nice,if the current Rubicon is the same formula it should be a winner.

I haven't compared my old Indian Shulton to the Rubicon,but I have compared it to the current American version,the old Indian Shulton smells a tad crisper,a little spicier than todays American Old Spice,and it reminds me more of the Old Spice I used in the 1960's.It could be all in my mind,it could be the olfactory senses ageing,who the hell knows ?,but the Shulton of India is certainly nice,if the current Rubicon is the same formula it should be a winner.
There is a definite difference between my bottle of Indian Old Spice from 2010-ish and the current American stuff. The American formula is more floral, a little sweeter. There's more "spice" to the Indian Shulton stuff. I've smelled the two of them a million times and they're similar, but definitely different. I don't think it's all in your mind.

Thanks for a terrific post. Looks like I may need to consider ordering from India as opposed to WCS.
My understanding is that they are the same--that is, WCS is getting their OS from India. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited:
I went ahead bought the latest P&G version of classic old spice from a store. I have been applying it for the past few days.

I am afraid I find the scent to be not so "Shulton" as the old Indian old spice stock. The old version had a powdery vintage scent to it. The new version seems distinctly spicy and citrusy. I don't think its the same as the old Indian Old Spice. Someone needs to back me up as I am not the best of scent noses !

I like what I am using, though its not so "old spicey", rather "new spicey"

Has anyone compared the old Indian MCPL/Shulton version of Old Spice to the new Rubicon version?

I was recently sent a free 50 ml Indian bottle of the Rubicon Indian Old Spice Aftershave by Walmart. (yes, Walmart! It's a long story that you can find here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...inal-Old-Spice-amp-Old-Spice-Musk-Aftershaves!)

I had an old bottle of P&G Old Spice that still carried the Shulton name that I bought sometime during the 1990's. Unfortunately, it broke about two months ago. I remember it as being more spicey than the Indian Rubicon, with much more of a burn when applied after shaving. I splashed on some of the Rubicon Old Spice last week and it just didn't have the same bite as the old US P&G Shulton bottle I had. It's possible that the P&G Shulton bottle I had was Old Spice Cologne and not the aftershave. I think the only Old Spice Cologne now being made is the US Classic version.

Does anyone know if the US P&G Classic Old Spice Cologne has a stronger, spicier scent than the Classic aftershave?

I also received a free 50 ml bottle of the Indian Rubicon Old Spice Musk aftershave and my opinion is that it's terrific. The scent lasts longer and it can be intoxicating. It's one of the best musk scents I've smelled. My previous favorite was Pierre Cardin Musk Cologne for men and it was discontinued years ago.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out why P&G changed the formula, then denied it just to spite the relatively small wet-shaving world.

I placed a few drops of the India Old Spice Aftershave (Rubicon version) on a paper towel and did the same with the Vijon version. Initially, the Vijon has more of a spicy scent with a hint of lime. After about a half hour they the scent was similar between the two, with the Old Spice somewhat more pleasant. The Old Spice scent remained stronger as time went on, although both scents lasted alot longer on a paper towel than they did on my skin.

For about 2 dollars and change, the Vijon is worth it, especially when mixing with the USA P&G Old Spice Classic. Some recommend using the Classic cologne rather than the aftershave for the mix as the cologne scent will last longer and get that extra "bite" from the Vijon.

This blog post says the Vijon scent only lasts 15 minutes on the skin:
http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2014/09/vi-jon-spice-scent-aftershave.html

Does anyone know what the best mix is for Vijon and Old Spice Classic? I've read that a 50/50 mix in a separate glass decanter is good but others have different formulations.

I am from India; just bought a 100ml bottle of Old Spice MUSK made by Rubicon. Great Fragrance. had literally searched the town for Jovan Musk but I guess it is no longer available in India hence Old Spice. It is not the same like Jovan Musk but its Nice! Must try. The bottle shape remains the same but printed content has changed in style and appearance.

I am from India; just bought a 100ml bottle of Old Spice MUSK made by Rubicon. Great Fragrance. had literally searched the town for Jovan Musk but I guess it is no longer available in India hence Old Spice. It is not the same like Jovan Musk but its Nice! Must try. The bottle shape remains the same but printed content has changed in style and appearance.

I received a 50 ml bottle of the Old Spice Musk and in my opinion it's better than the Jovan Musk. I think it's the most pleasant musk scent I've ever smelled. Before that, I thought Pierre Cardin's Musk (out of production for decades) was the best.

What does a bottle of original Old Spice made in Rubicon sell for in India??

Check Amazon.in for all Old Spice prices, including the shaving cream. Unfortunately, Amazon won't ship the aftershaves to the USA. The musk, original scent and the lime scent go for anywhere from $10 to $15 on Ebay with free shipping for the 100 ml bottle.

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_no...earch-alias=aps&field-keywords=old+spice+musk
$os_musk_amazon.jpg

Last edited:
This thread has intrigued me.

I did my own testing at home today with 70's vintage Old Spice, new Rubicon from India, new PandG and new Vi-Jon.

I put equal amounts onto different cotton make up pads. The Vintage was definitely stronger and sweeter without much citrus. The Rubicon and PandG were similar with a noticeable citrus. The Vi-Jon was not as strong and maybe a little spicier with a different citrus.

After 1/2 hour, the results were the same.

After 3 hours, the vintage was really sweet and still very strong. The Rubicon and PandG were very similar in scent and no where near as sweet as the vintage. I think the Rubicon had an edge in scent strength, but bothe were terribly weak compared to vintage. The difference in sweetness and strength was amazing. The Vi-Jon was barely noticeable.

My Conclusions:
Vintage is much, much stronger in odor and longevity than any product in my test. I believe it has a substantially higher % of fragrance by volume than any new products.

The vintage was also much sweeter.

The new aftershaves all had citrus that may/or may not have evaporated from the vintage, but there is no way to know this from my test. The vintage did not have citrus like the others in this experiment.

Rubicon and PandG were amazingly similar with the Rubicon maybe slightly stronger and longer lasting. The difference was very small.

The Vi-Jon smelled similar, but had much less longevity. I believe it is much more dilute than the other new aftershaves. It also smelled less like the vintage to me than the others.

I will probably stick to regular old PandG in the future. Vintage is too expensive and buying from India is a pain. The Vi-Jon has a good odor and great price if you do not want a lasting scent.

As always, these are my observations and conclusions. My nose may not work as well as yours. Try it yourself and see if you get the same results.

These tests were not done on skin so my conclusions may not apply to actual use.

The room temperature was 72-74 Fahrenheit. There was a ceiling fan on as well. No direct sunlight. Low humidity, but no actual reading.

Regards,
Brian

Am I alone in decanting the Indian OS from its plastic bottles to vintage glass ones?

The 50 ml Indian Rubicon Old Spice that I received was in a glass bottle. Some people say they're receiving glass bottles for the other sizes too, yet I see a plastic bottle in some of the Ebay and Amazon ads. Can someone explain?

I did my own testing at home today with 70's vintage Old Spice, new Rubicon from India, new PandG and new Vi-Jon. I put equal amounts onto different cotton make up pads. The Vintage was definitely stronger and sweeter without much citrus. The Rubicon and PandG were similar with a noticeable citrus. The Vi-Jon was not as strong and maybe a little spicier with a different citrus...

Thanks for your opinion. I also was expecting a spicier and stronger scent from the Rubicon Original Old Spice Aftershave from India. Perhaps that's because I used to splash on the Shulton Old Spice Cologne that P&G still issued in the 1990's and that was stronger than the aftershave. Have you tried mixing the Vijon with the P&G Classic based on some of the suggestions?

It would be interesting if someone could compare the Rubicon version to the Menezes Cosmetics Private Ltd (MCPL)/Shulton version from India. This thread that tested the Original Old Spice vs. the Classic probably used the MCPL version to come to the conclusion that the India version was the same as the vintage aftershave.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/279212-Will-the-real-quot-Old-Spice-quot-please-stand-up

Does anyone know why only the Classic Old Spice Cologne is produced in the USA but Original Old Spice Cologne is not being made by Rubicon in India?

The 50 ml Indian Rubicon Old Spice that I received was in a glass bottle. Some people say they're receiving glass bottles for the other sizes too, yet I see a plastic bottle in some of the Ebay and Amazon ads. Can someone explain?

Thanks for your opinion. I also was expecting a spicier and stronger scent from the Rubicon Original Old Spice Aftershave from India. Perhaps that's because I used to splash on the Shulton Old Spice Cologne that P&G still issued in the 1990's and that was stronger than the aftershave. Have you tried mixing the Vijon with the P&G Classic based on some of the suggestions?

Does anyone know why only the Classic Old Spice Cologne is produced in the USA but Original Old Spice Cologne is not being made by Rubicon in India?

I have not tried mixing them. I'll try that soon.

I do not have the older India Shulton to test. That is probably good because I would be bummed that they stopped making it.

I have the vintage cologne, but none of the PandG cologne. Good question. I wonder why you can't get India made cologne. I can't seem to find it either.

Top Bottom